Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Do Editors Edit Anymore ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
It is not requested largely because coaches have no idea the rule exists.
Because, for a few years back in the 1990's, it didn't exist. For some reason, it was inadvertently left out of the rule book, and then reinstated. No reason, no explanation. My local IAABO interpreter told me that I was one of only a few officials, nationally, that noticed the error, that led to having the rule reinstated. I don't know if that's true, or not. Maybe he just told me that to make me feel important.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fasten Your Seatbelt, We're Going To Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
How has this thread reached three pages without anyone calling B.S. on Seanwestref's questions?
I just don't like him "shifting gears" in the middle of a thread. It's like he's hijacking his own thread. He should try clicking on the new thread button. It works every time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:00am.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How has this thread reached three pages without anyone calling B.S. on Seanwestref's questions?

I know and respect the spirit of treating everyone with an open mind, but ...

There is absolutely NO WAY he is an official who has ever sat through any sort of class or passed any sort of test. NO. WAY.

I'm not saying he doesn't do games at some level somewhere, but suddenly 3-whistle games? Please.
No, there's nothing the OP has asked that is necessarily out of the ordinary for newer officials. Just because you may have found them to be rudimentary or easy doesn't mean a new official will pick it up off the bat.

And you don't know the circumstances behind why the official is working 3-man.

And to the seanwestref...if you have drastically different scenarios not related to the original thread, you'd have an easier time getting answers by starting a new thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:22pm.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 01:20pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I just don't like him "shifting gears" in the middle of a thread. It's like he's hijacking his own thread. He should try clicking on the new thread button. It works every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
...if you have drastically different scenarios not related to the original thread, you'd have an easier time getting answers by starting a new thread.
Thanks! I will create a new thread from now on. In this case, I thought I would knock out all my questions in one place instead of cluttering the front page.

Last edited by AremRed; Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 01:22pm. Reason: grammar
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
Thanks! I will create a new thread from now on. In this case, I thought I would knock out all my questions in one place instead of cluttering the front page.
You could make one thread and ask about multiple scenarios.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you request it, you're a captain.

+1,000 plus a fine Cuban cigar.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
+1,000 plus a fine Cuban cigar.

MTD, Sr.
Smoking is bad for you and Cuban cigars are illegal in this country.

How'd you get to be a moderator?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:32pm
Administrator

Quote:

How'd you get to be a moderator?

As a Godfather from Youngstown, Ohio, I made Brad an offer he couldn't refuse, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:13pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Possessing Cuban cigars is not illegal. Importing, distributing, and selling them are illegal.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:14am
AremRed

I feel ODog deserves a reply.

Quote:
Maybe because they are more polite than you? What would "calling BS" on my questions look like? Am I not allowed to ask simple, basic questions? (sarcasm here, also rhetorical)

Quote:
Just because you may have found them to be rudimentary or easy...
Ah, there it is. I am not advanced enough for ODog. Good thing others are more tolerant of young officials, and are willing to help them with questions almost every young official deals with.

Down, ODog, Down! Bad ODog!

Quote:
I know and respect the spirit of treating everyone with an open mind, but ...
I hope your friends have learned to simply ignore anything you say after "but", because I am fast learning to. You are a lot more polite before you put in the "but".

Quote:
There is absolutely NO WAY he is an official who has ever sat through any sort of class or passed any sort of test. NO. WAY.
"Absolutely NO WAY"? How confident are you? Would you stake your life on it? Taking the (in my area) NFHS test is not that difficult. It is, after all, an open-book test. (yes I passed)

Quote:
I'm not saying he doesn't do games at some level somewhere, but suddenly 3-whistle games? Please.
Again with the "but". Yes, "suddenly 3-whistle games". If you want to know how I got this opportunity, simply ask me. Otherwise: http://i.imgur.com/06hE1.gif

Quote:
And you don't know the circumstances behind why the official is working 3-man.
Again, you don't know.

Quote:
Please.
And thank you, good sir!

Last edited by AremRed; Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:17am. Reason: grammar
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Absolutely NO WAY"? How confident are you? Would you stake your life on it? Taking the (in my area) NFHS test is not that difficult. It is, after all, an open-book test. (yes I passed)
Are there any classroom sessions prior to the test date where an interpreter walks aspiring officials through the rules book or is it just show up with a book on test day and release for assignment anyone who passes?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are there any classroom sessions prior to the test date where an interpreter walks aspiring officials through the rules book or is it just show up with a book on test day and release for assignment anyone who passes?
Why would that matter? I've been doing this 20 years and I dig into the rules deeper than most and I still find things that I didn't know occasionally.

For most rookies, they get a lot of stuff wrong even after they've heard it....it is overload. You can find a lot of stuff in the book as you need while taking the test but that doesn't mean they're remember it all on demand.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why would that matter?
Because classes make it significantly less likely you'll have a "certified" official calling 3 seconds on inbounds plays and during shot and rebound attempts. Just offering the exam without any contextual rules/floor training is irresponsible and unfair to local teams who use that pool of officials.

Three seconds is also probably the top myth debunked in a new officials class, the kind of "light bulb" information that makes you say to yourself, "Whoa. That's one to file away."

I know some of you think this is coming from some high-and-mighty douche, but trust me, I know I'm the donk who ruled "back of the backboard" on an inbounds pass that wound up on the court.

I just find it scary and borderline reckless that someone who actually has a rules book, passed a test and is doing games isn't familiar with the 3-second rule -- at all.

That's why I found the whole thread fishy and perhaps a "chain yank" that had gone on too long (insert Manti Te'o joke here).

Once again, I was wrong. So now I'm just curious if classes are available to aspiring officials in seanwestref's area.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right, but as bob jenkins suggested, perhaps give some leeway during an interrupted dribble? I can see team A having a frontcourt baseline throw-in, player A1 being in the lane for two seconds before the ball is passed inbounds, and then remaining for one second after the ball is inbounds. In such a case I could call three seconds,
If you did, you'd be wrong.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Three seconds is also probably the top myth debunked in a new officials class, the kind of "light bulb" information that makes you say to yourself, "Whoa. That's one to file away."
Curious as to the specifics of the "myth" as taught in your class.

Lonesome Dove