The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge - Beating a Dead Horse

I am sure this has been beaten to death....but here goes nothing.

A recurring theme this year for me has been watching a lot of plays at the basket where the defender starts to fall backwards before contact. Inevitably, there is some contact, but I have a hard time blowing a block or charge. I have been averaging about 50% no call, 35% block and 15% charge. I am not saying this is right or wrong but the effect is that about 90% of the time, I don't blow right away - my partner is coming in with a block/charge. I have been considering discussing this more in the pre-game. It's my opinion that not every block/charge has to be called if we are consistent.

Has anyone ever thought about your percentages? Is there a good rule of thumb?

Charge (% of time)
Block (% of time)
No Call (% of time)
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I don't know my percentages, but I do tend to hit the PC more than other officials. Not overwhelmingly more, but just enough that people know that I'm not afraid to reward good defense.

What interests me is your mention of your partner coming in with a call. Are there calls that you're not making when there should likely be a call? Do you have too slow of a whistle? Are these calls in your primary and your partner is bailing the crew out? Just asking...
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In my past two high school games, I've noted I seem to have some issues correctly judging a block/charge.

When might a no-call be appropriate in this situation?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post

Has anyone ever thought about your percentages? Is there a good rule of thumb?

Charge (% of time)
Block (% of time)
No Call (% of time)
I have never thought about percentages and I think it's kind of silly to do so. I've had games this year where we had a half dozen PC fouls and games where there were many more blocks.

I referee the defense and go from there to try and get the play right. Worrying about the percentages on these calls is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
In my past two high school games, I've noted I seem to have some issues correctly judging a block/charge.

When might a no-call be appropriate in this situation?
At the HS level I think block/charge is not nearly as difficult as many make it out to be if you referee the defense. In general, if the defense has LGP does what is allowed within the rules then you have a PC or a no call. If he defender is not legal or moves toward or into the path of the offensive player then you have a block. If the defense is legal and not displaced by contact from the offensive player then you have a no call.

Block/charge can get more difficult the quicker, bigger, and more athletic players become at higher levels but the principals are, for the most part, the same.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:40pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Thanks VaTerp. I'll give this some thought for my next game.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

All I will say is it is a PC foul (charge) until I am proven wrong. I call way more charges than I call blocks. I do call blocks now, but what I find it a lot of players properly get in position after gaining LGP. And when I see these plays on tape, I tend to be right.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
A recurring theme this year for me has been watching a lot of plays at the basket where the defender starts to fall backwards before contact. Inevitably, there is some contact, but I have a hard time blowing a block or charge.
Ignore the fact that the defender faded away a bit. Did they initially get into the path with 2 feet down and facing the opponent? Did they move into the opponents path after their opponent was airborne? Did the offensive player go through them or not? Answer those and you'll know what you should have.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I don't know my percentages, but I do tend to hit the PC more than other officials. Not overwhelmingly more, but just enough that people know that I'm not afraid to reward good defense.
I think at the more junior levels, less experienced officials "bail out" the offensive player by calling a block. IMO it's the easier call. I too like to reward good defense.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:21am
Medium Kahuna

Notice that most of these posts are suggesting that you ignore percentages and learn the rule properly. The key to getting block/charge right every time is two steps:

1. Know the rule.
2. Referee the defense, esp. watching for LGP.

Once you've got that, you'll know what you're seeing.

That said, I'll add this about your particular case: the defender who is already falling down — literally on his way to the floor — prior to contact is not going to be disadvantaged by contact, and thus contact will not be a foul.

On the other hand, defenders who have LGP are BY RULE permitted to turn or otherwise move to protect themselves from the contact. If that's what you see, then responsibility for contact will remain with the offense.

You have to judge what you're seeing and make the call.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
That said, I'll add this about your particular case: the defender who is already falling down — literally on his way to the floor — prior to contact is not going to be disadvantaged by contact, and thus contact will not be a foul.

On the other hand, defenders who have LGP are BY RULE permitted to turn or otherwise move to protect themselves from the contact. If that's what you see, then responsibility for contact will remain with the offense.

You have to judge what you're seeing and make the call.
I'll add this about your particular case: the offense who goes through the defender who was already falling down --- literally on his way to the floor — prior to contact is still going to gain an advantage by contact and has committed a foul.

Fouls are not just about the affect it has on the foulee but the benefit it gives to the fouler. In this case, the shooter took a path that was not available to them...a spot occupied by a defender.

Fading away from contact in now way takes away the defenders right to their spot and they are allowed to do so. It can be one way they protect themselves. Fading away is far different than flinging themselves backwards in an attempt to trick you into calling a foul.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I tend to default to a charge in these plays. IOW, if I can't clearly see what the defender does wrong, he gets the benefit of the doubt. I have no idea how that translates to percentages, but that's going to change from game to game.

I think we had five charges and two blocks last night, but that's not the norm.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

The player falling back or protecting themselves does not create a block. They are in LGB and allowed to move backwards. Now the question becomes is it a charge or a no call. Contact would have displaced the defender regardless of the backwards fall/move. CHarge. Contact only displaces defender because of backwards fall/move. No Call.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I tend to default to a charge in these plays. IOW, if I can't clearly see what the defender does wrong, he gets the benefit of the doubt. I have no idea how that translates to percentages, but that's going to change from game to game.

I think we had five charges and two blocks last night, but that's not the norm.
I have had several games where I did not call a single block. I have had games where the crew did not call a single block and we are talking about 5 calls that all were charges. Not saying that happens all the time, but I think video is helping. I think there was a time when people would call blocks just because. Now that tide seems to have turned to call charges or maybe better training has helped this come true as well?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have had several games where I did not call a single block. I have had games where the crew did not call a single block and we are talking about 5 calls that all were charges. Not saying that happens all the time, but I think video is helping. I think there was a time when people would call blocks just because. Now that tide seems to have turned to call charges or maybe better training has helped this come true as well?

Peace
I think that we still aren't necessarily (as a collective group, not any individual) refereeing the defense -- I think many officials just take a close block/charge crash and ship it rather than evaluating each play on its own merits.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think that we still aren't necessarily (as a collective group, not any individual) refereeing the defense -- I think many officials just take a close block/charge crash and ship it rather than evaluating each play on its own merits.
I think there is a general position to penalize defensive players and never give them the benefit of the doubt. I might be refereeing the defense is a problem, but I tend to think many do not have the courage to call a foul on the offense because they feel they will get more crap. Just like we penalized defensive players in the post when they were held, grabbed and pushed, but when the defense reacts to those things we call the foul on them. The same thing goes for shooters that try to go somewhere they cannot, instead of not calling anything we call fouls on the defenders.

Peace