The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

I just think if seanwestref had gone to a class to complement the test -- your class included, CRust -- he wouldn't be asking about the fundamental principles of one of the rules most butchered by fans, coaches and players.

This isn't "knowing ALL the rules" (which I certainly don't). This is knowing the 3-second rule, the one you know from your classes has everyone going "ahhhhh haaa," similar to when you tell them someone can rebound their own airball or that a kick has to be intentional.

Every game every one of us has ever done has had at least one person (and likely many more) mistakenly clamoring for 3 seconds.

I do see what you're saying re: the spectrum, however. I guess I don't consider that people who haven't been around basketball much would take an interest in officiating it, even though I've seen it in action. You're definitely right.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

... and I know I've contributed to making this thread way longer than it needed to be by being flabbergasted and suspicious of its content.

Now that it's proven to be a sincere inquiry, I humbly lay down my sword.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 08:02pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
... I guess I don't consider that people who haven't been around basketball much would take an interest in officiating it, even though I've seen it in action...
I didn't play basketball beyond 8th grade, despite the fact that I was 6'2" as a high school freshman (tallest in my class).

Got into officiating basketball mainly for "something to do" during the winter after football season ended. And believe me, I made A LOT of mistakes that first year, like the game where I called OOB on 5 or 6 different occasions for a ball hitting the top of the backboard. My partner (a seasoned veteran) didn't correct me until we got into the locker room after the game. I felt like an idiot, but he cheered me up with a "Hey, it's a freshman game, that's why you start here. And now you'll never make that mistake again".
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I didn't play basketball beyond 8th grade, despite the fact that I was 6'2" as a high school freshman (tallest in my class).

Got into officiating basketball mainly for "something to do" during the winter after football season ended. And believe me, I made A LOT of mistakes that first year, like the game where I called OOB on 5 or 6 different occasions for a ball hitting the top of the backboard. My partner (a seasoned veteran) didn't correct me until we got into the locker room after the game. I felt like an idiot, but he cheered me up with a "Hey, it's a freshman game, that's why you start here. And now you'll never make that mistake again".
1. You had five of these plays in one game? If I see five in a season, that's a lot.

2. I would have corrected you much sooner (first chance to talk.)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
... like the game where I called OOB on 5 or 6 different occasions for a ball hitting the top of the backboard. My partner (a seasoned veteran) didn't correct me until we got into the locker room after the game.
Reminds me of a tale I've told on here before where I did an AAU game in Conn. w/a woman I'd never met before. About 1 minute into the game, A1's shot bounces high off the rim and bounces on top of the backboard before falling back into play. FROM THE LEAD (alarm #1), she whistles OOB (alarm #2). I will add this was a freestanding, portable hoop. Think NBA-style, but w/o the cameras and shot clock -- nothing above the board at all.

During a time-out shortly thereafter, I kindly went over and asked her what she had on that play. "It hit the top of the backboard." "And...?" "That's out of bounds." "No, it's not."

... and then the kicker: "Oh, well I'm from Mass., and up there, it's out of bounds."

"Yeah, I am too. And it's the same everywhere -- in."

"OK, we can do it your way if you want."

I don't have to tell you how the rest of the game went. And yeah, I guess backboard conundrums just find me
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:58am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Reminds me of a tale I've told on here before where I did an AAU game in Conn. w/a woman I'd never met before. About 1 minute into the game, A1's shot bounces high off the rim and bounces on top of the backboard before falling back into play. FROM THE LEAD (alarm #1), she whistles OOB (alarm #2). I will add this was a freestanding, portable hoop. Think NBA-style, but w/o the cameras and shot clock -- nothing above the board at all.

During a time-out shortly thereafter, I kindly went over and asked her what she had on that play. "It hit the top of the backboard." "And...?" "That's out of bounds." "No, it's not."

... and then the kicker: "Oh, well I'm from Mass., and up there, it's out of bounds."

"Yeah, I am too. And it's the same everywhere -- in."

"OK, we can do it your way if you want."

I don't have to tell you how the rest of the game went. And yeah, I guess backboard conundrums just find me
Unbelievable! Is she married?

Lonesome Dove