The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93607-rule-question.html)

AremRed Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:02am

Rule question

What does NFHS rule 3-3-1e mean?

just another ref Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:16am

Basically, when one team has multiple subs, the other team can say:

Wait a minute, until everybody knows who his man is.

Lcubed48 Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:23am

Who is guarding whom?

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 873387)
What does NFHS rule 3-3-1e mean?

3-3-1e. A captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more substitutes from the same team enter during an opportunity to substitute.

If one team brings in 3 or more subs at one time, the other team can request a moment to figure out who is guarding whom. It's meant to be a quick situation. Don't allow the coaches to turn it into a free time out. Also, nobody has to go and line up at the division line.

BillyMac Mon Jan 21, 2013 07:28am

Line Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubed (Post 873389)
Nobody has to go and line up at the division line.

Back in the olden days, players would "line up" around the jump ball circles (there were three jump ball circles back then), not by rule, but by "custom".

Indianaref Mon Jan 21, 2013 07:29am

I have yet to have a captain request this.

CMHCoachNRef Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 873397)
I have yet to have a captain request this.

That is largely because about 99.95% of captains (and, likely, 90% of their coaches) have no idea the rule is there....

johnny d Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 873411)
That is largely because about 99.95% of captains (and, likely, 90% of their coaches) have no idea the rule is there....

even if they knew the rule, i doubt it would be requested much.....how hard can it be to figure out who you are guarding?

#olderthanilook Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:50pm

What if.....

there isn't a defensive team captain on the floor to request the "match game" moment?

Indianaref Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 873424)
What if.....

there isn't a defensive team captain on the floor to request the "match game" moment?

Why deny it. Don't look for trouble.

johnny d Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:55pm

Quote:

What if.....

then you give whoever asked for one a technical foul for unauthorized speaking to an official:p

jTheUmp Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:55pm

Official beckons subs in.
Subs enter the game, replaced players leave.
Official pauses 2-3 seconds while players do the "I've got 52, you take 23" thing.
Game resumes.

#olderthanilook Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 873426)
Why deny it. Don't look for trouble.

I'm with you, however, the rule specifically indicates a captain is to request, though.

just another ref Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:58pm

Quote:

What if.....

If you request it, you're a captain.

AremRed Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 873427)
then you give whoever asked for one a technical foul for unauthorized speaking to an official:p

I know this is a rule, but how often is this enforced? I have players ask me what the foul call was (politely) or how many shots we have and I don't think twice. Assuming no unsportsmanlike conduct or disrespect towards an official, has anyone ever T'd a non-captain player for speaking to the you?

just another ref Mon Jan 21, 2013 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 873431)
I know this is a rule, but how often is this enforced?I have players ask me what the foul call was (politely) or how many shots we have and I don't think twice. Assuming no unsportsmanlike conduct or disrespect towards an official, has anyone ever T'd a non-captain player for speaking to the you?

Why would you? How would you? Based on what rule?