The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Observations From First Games of the Season

The high school season is finally underway here. Some random thoughts and observations as we start the season:

- What is it with coaches wanting to sit or be outside of the dugouts?

It seems to be epidemic here. Coaches just seem to think that they can plant themselves outside of the dugouts, anywhere in live ball area that they see fit. If they've been around for any length of time, or if they've attended the mandatory state meetings where this has been a point of emphasis, they would have to know by now that this isn't acceptable.

Hardly a game goes by where I don't have to remind a coach that he needs to be in the dugout. My first games this year have been no exception. And why is it that when you tell them this, they act like you're being some kind of hard case and that they've never heard of it before?

Last year, one coach on a bucket was so adamant that he could plant himself anywhere he wanted that he argued it just up to the brink of ejection. I finally had to tell him that he had two choices. Either get in the dugout or he'd no longer be a participant in the game.

- Equally epidemic around here seems to be pitchers who step right onto the pitcher's plate with their hands together. Forget leaps and crow hops. This must be the most frequent illegal pitch that I see.

Same with coaches being out of the dugout, if you call this they are just astonished that it's being called. They've never heard of it before, it's never been called before, they don't understand what she's doing wrong.

So far this year I've seen four different pitchers and each one of them has had issues with not taking the signal with the hands separated.

- A question: Has anyone here ever been in the least bit fooled into thinking a player had the ball in her glove just because her glove had a little bit of green on it?

The glove rules are goofy enough as it is. Every sanctioning body has a different standard and just about all of them have changed or modified the rule several times in the past few years.

The new high school rule has been presented to the coaches in various meetings, covered in preseason literature and been covered as a point of emphasis. So far this year, I have had to address ten players with what NFHS now deems to be an illegal glove- and the season is young!

Last edited by BretMan; Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 06:59pm.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately havent had that many problems this year. I did have a game where twice I had to tell the coaches they had to get back in the dugout and keep the gates closed. Also had a coach ticked off because someone threw an out of play ball directly back to the pitcher, she switched balls and I made her switch them back. Coach complained her pitcher didnt like the ball and wanted to know where in the rule book it said she couldnt switch. Told her I couldnt quote the exact rule number but if she went home and read the pitching regulations she would find it.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
T

- A question: Has anyone here ever been in the least bit fooled into thinking a player had the ball in her glove just because her glove had a little bit of green on it?

The glove rules are goofy enough as it is. Every sanctioning body has a different standard and just about all of them have changed or modified the rule several times in the past few years.

The new high school rule has been presented to the coaches in various meetings, covered in preseason literature and been covered as a point of emphasis. So far this year, I have had to address ten players with what NFHS now deems to be an illegal glove- and the season is young!
Before the season started (and whether I agreed or not) the interpretation was very clear after reading the pre-season NFHS guide. For a month of scrimmages and games we 'warned' coaches about this new interpretation and the ramification of it. Then the 'State rules interpreter' came out with a clarification that this was not illegal unless 'the umpire felt it was a distraction to the batter'. So does this now only apply to the pitcher?????

the pre-season guide does not specify this. And I have seen in games where I was 'looking' for 'optic' on gloves during warm up, to warn coaches, when I thought a player had optic writing on the outer side of the glove only to see that it was the ball. So I do see the intent of the new interpretation.

but what are other states, local chapters doing?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Before the season started (and whether I agreed or not) the interpretation was very clear after reading the pre-season NFHS guide. For a month of scrimmages and games we 'warned' coaches about this new interpretation and the ramification of it. Then the 'State rules interpreter' came out with a clarification that this was not illegal unless 'the umpire felt it was a distraction to the batter'. So does this now only apply to the pitcher?????

the pre-season guide does not specify this. And I have seen in games where I was 'looking' for 'optic' on gloves during warm up, to warn coaches, when I thought a player had optic writing on the outer side of the glove only to see that it was the ball. So I do see the intent of the new interpretation.

but what are other states, local chapters doing?
Well, that's the thing about NFHS, each association can do whatever they please with the rules.

Personally, I think it is one of the dumbest rules I've heard. I love the people that think there is some major deception going on here, even moreso that people worry about folks being fooled as to whether the ball is in the glove or not. Huh? Does anyone rely on sneaking a peek between the fingers to determine if the player has the ball in the glove or not?

And a distraction? GMAFB! a player can wear an optic yellow uniform, but a small piece of green on the glove is going to provide a distraction. Sounds like this would come from the same people who want to have sunglasses declared illegal.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

My seasonstart here in the Neth's has been postponed for the 3th week in a row. Yesterday it was still snowing!
So how coaches and pitcher will act this year is a big surprise to me.

For that glove with the brands name on it in the same color as the ball written along the index-finger, the rule is clear! It is legal, however I've been fooled several years ago as well.
At one point I thought we had two ball's in the game. Miss Sumeru, F1 for the Dutch national team, has that glove. She knows what she can and may do. Had her glove on the chest and the ball in the bare hand. I saw clearly two balls! However it was the gloves name in optic yellow.

I think, rereading the rules, that stretching ISF rule 3, sec. 4b will forbid the use of this glove...

Rule 3 Sec. 4. GLOVES & MITTS.
Any player may wear a glove, but only the catcher and first baseman may use mitts.
a. No top lacing, webbing, or other device between the thumb and body of the glove or mitt worn by a first baseman or catcher or a glove worn by any fielder, shall be more than 12.7cm (5 in) in length.
b. Gloves worn by any player may be any combination of colors, provided none of the colors (including the lacing) are the color of the ball.
c. Gloves with white, gray, or yellow optic circles on the outside, giving the appearance of a ball, are illegal for all players. (SEE APPENDIX 5 FOR DRAWING AND SPECIFICATIONS)

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:33am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Rule 3 Sec. 4. GLOVES & MITTS.
Any player may wear a glove, but only the catcher and first baseman may use mitts.
a. No top lacing, webbing, or other device between the thumb and body of the glove or mitt worn by a first baseman or catcher or a glove worn by any fielder, shall be more than 12.7cm (5 in) in length.
b. Gloves worn by any player may be any combination of colors, provided none of the colors (including the lacing) are the color of the ball.
c. Gloves with white, gray, or yellow optic circles on the outside, giving the appearance of a ball, are illegal for all players. (SEE APPENDIX 5 FOR DRAWING AND SPECIFICATIONS)
This is the ISF rule correct?

Here is NFHS and ASA

NFHS Rule 1 section 4 ART. 1 . Gloves/mitts shall:

a. Be a maximum of two colors excluding lacing and manufacturer's logo
colors. Lacing shall not be the color of the ball.

b. Not be entirely optic in color.

c. Not have an optic-colored marking 0n the outside or inside that gives the appearance of the ball.

d. Be permitted to have one American flag not to exceed 2 inches by 3 inches.
e. Not be judged as distracting by the umpire.

ASA Rule 3 section 4 Glove/Mitt

A Glove / Mitt may be worn by any player. The dimensions of any glove / mitt used by any fielder shall not exceed the specifications set forth below ( see drawing and specifications). (Fast Pitch) The Pitcher's glove may be of one solid color or Multicolored as long as the color(s) are not of the ball being used in the game.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Point concerning the gloves

The rules involving the coloring of gloves had not changed that much other than to allow for the optic yellow ball.

The manufacturers have KNOWN since day one that placing a color of the ball on the glove was an issue with, just about if not every, softball rules organizations in existence. Yet they continue to manufacture and market gloves that violate the rule and then act stupid, well, let's assume it's an act, when the issue is raised by the consumer.

When this issue comes up on the field and is addressed with the coaches and parents, that needs to be said by someone. I've heard parents complain about how ASA, NFHS, whoever is ruining the game by not allowing certain gloves in the game when, in fact, it is the manufacturers that are blatantly taking advantage of the situation.

And, of course, we all know the real response to the customer is that they purchased a baseball glove for a softball game.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
This is the ISF rule correct?
Yes it is. Here in Holland we play them. There's only one federation, for FP softball, baseball, beeball (a sort of T-ball) and we 're starting with co-ed SP softball.
So when ever I use a rule it's ISF. Most bodies rule-sets are more or less similar.

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Also had a coach ticked off because someone threw an out of play ball directly back to the pitcher, she switched balls and I made her switch them back. Coach complained her pitcher didnt like the ball and wanted to know where in the rule book it said she couldnt switch. Told her I couldnt quote the exact rule number but if she went home and read the pitching regulations she would find it.
Strict ball rotation is a good way to upset both the pitcher and coach over what should be a non-issue in most cases. I don't know how far the ball went out of play in this case or how long it took to get it back in; but, most of the time if it just goes out of play or comes back in quickly, I'm not giving the pitcher a new ball so quickly.

Though still applicable to fast-pitch, I believe that ball rotation is a result of slow-pitch, where there is more gamesmanship going on.

Other than making sure that a new ball gets used to start the bottom of the 1st inning if it hadn't already been used, give the pitcher the ball she wants. That's the ball she is more likely to throw strikes with. There is enough to argue over without ball rotation being one of them.

Unless Federation changed the rule, it actually only addresses using the ball until it goes out of play. It doesn't say that the same ball can't still be used after it goes out of play.

With respect to ASA, it is a rules supplement, not even a rule.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

You may want to check your rule book.

FED 6-5-2 The pitcher may request the other ball before throwing a warm up pitch by giving the ball in her posession to the plate umpire, the pitcher has now made a choice and must pitch that ball until such time as the ball goes out of play or becomes blocked.

As for ASA it may be a rules supplement but it specifies this is the ball rotation procedure used in championship play. I have always been instructed at any clinic and national clinic to use the ASA ball rotation procedure in any ASA play.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
You may want to check your rule book.

FED 6-5-2 The pitcher may request the other ball before throwing a warm up pitch by giving the ball in her posession to the plate umpire, the pitcher has now made a choice and must pitch that ball until such time as the ball goes out of play or becomes blocked.

As for ASA it may be a rules supplement but it specifies this is the ball rotation procedure used in championship play. I have always been instructed at any clinic and national clinic to use the ASA ball rotation procedure in any ASA play.
I am fairly strict about ball rotation, even reminding coaches at pre-game not to allow spectators to throw a ball into the field (usually happens anyway because they don't tell them, until repeated out loud).
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The biggest nuisance new rule is reporting subs to the head coach.
I'm hoping the interpretation is "if he/she should have heard" and the scorekeeper or assistant being a communicator to the head coach.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:05am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The biggest nuisance new rule is reporting subs to the head coach.
I'm hoping the interpretation is "if he/she should have heard" and the scorekeeper or assistant being a communicator to the head coach.
That's an easy one to me. I announce all subs verbally and loud by saying Coach ( I look to score keeper to make sure they are looking) # -- for # -- again # -- for # -- I do this announcement for every sub. I do not move more than a few step towards the team I am announcing changes to. The only change for me is that I don't say Scorekeeper any more.So far no problems.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I always prefered to walk up to whoever was keeping the book and give them the subs in a normal conversational tone. I also prefer that the coach giving me his subs comes to me in the same fashion. It just seems like this has less chance of something getting misunderstood or confused compared to yelling at each other across the field from a distance.

Now, if we go directly to the coach to report a sub, who's to say if whatever I told him is going to be accurately relayed to his scorekeeper.

I haven't had to personally deal with this yet- my high school games have been on the bases, so far. I guess that my options will be:

- Yell loudly toward the dugouts from a distance and hope that everyone who is supposed to hear me does and that they hear it correctly. (Saves time, but the possibility of miscommunication increases.)

- Go to just the coach, as the rule requires, tell him, then hope that he relays the correct info to his scorekeeper. (Saves time, possible miscommunication from coach to scorekeeper.)

- Report subs to the scorekeeper as I always have, making sure that they have it right, then verbally give the same changes to the coach when I track him down somewhere else on the field. (Takes a little longer, but less chance of miscommunication.)

- If they're in the same vicinity, call the coach over to the scorekeeper and give the subs to both of them at one time. (Saves time and less chance of miscommunication.)

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 11:04am.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
That's an easy one to me. I announce all subs verbally and loud by saying Coach ( I look to score keeper to make sure they are looking) # -- for # -- again # -- for # -- I do this announcement for every sub. I do not move more than a few step towards the team I am announcing changes to. The only change for me is that I don't say Scorekeeper any more.So far no problems.
I'm not bothering to do that. Quite often when a pitching change or other defensive substitution takes place, the offensive head coach is in the third base coach's box and his/her scorekeeper is in the first base-side dugout. I'd have to yell out from the top of my lungs what those changes are so both could hear. And that doesn't guarantee that the scorekeeper, who often is a fellow student, is paying attention.

If there's a significant separation between the two, I'll go to the scorekeeper first to make sure he/she gets it right in the book. And then I'll inform the coach with just a quick "18 for 22, coach" to meet the requirement. I think it's more important to make sure the book is informed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker