View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
That's an easy one to me. I announce all subs verbally and loud by saying Coach ( I look to score keeper to make sure they are looking) # -- for # -- again # -- for # -- I do this announcement for every sub. I do not move more than a few step towards the team I am announcing changes to. The only change for me is that I don't say Scorekeeper any more.So far no problems.
I'm not bothering to do that. Quite often when a pitching change or other defensive substitution takes place, the offensive head coach is in the third base coach's box and his/her scorekeeper is in the first base-side dugout. I'd have to yell out from the top of my lungs what those changes are so both could hear. And that doesn't guarantee that the scorekeeper, who often is a fellow student, is paying attention.

If there's a significant separation between the two, I'll go to the scorekeeper first to make sure he/she gets it right in the book. And then I'll inform the coach with just a quick "18 for 22, coach" to meet the requirement. I think it's more important to make sure the book is informed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker