View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Before the season started (and whether I agreed or not) the interpretation was very clear after reading the pre-season NFHS guide. For a month of scrimmages and games we 'warned' coaches about this new interpretation and the ramification of it. Then the 'State rules interpreter' came out with a clarification that this was not illegal unless 'the umpire felt it was a distraction to the batter'. So does this now only apply to the pitcher?????

the pre-season guide does not specify this. And I have seen in games where I was 'looking' for 'optic' on gloves during warm up, to warn coaches, when I thought a player had optic writing on the outer side of the glove only to see that it was the ball. So I do see the intent of the new interpretation.

but what are other states, local chapters doing?
Well, that's the thing about NFHS, each association can do whatever they please with the rules.

Personally, I think it is one of the dumbest rules I've heard. I love the people that think there is some major deception going on here, even moreso that people worry about folks being fooled as to whether the ball is in the glove or not. Huh? Does anyone rely on sneaking a peek between the fingers to determine if the player has the ball in the glove or not?

And a distraction? GMAFB! a player can wear an optic yellow uniform, but a small piece of green on the glove is going to provide a distraction. Sounds like this would come from the same people who want to have sunglasses declared illegal.