View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
T

- A question: Has anyone here ever been in the least bit fooled into thinking a player had the ball in her glove just because her glove had a little bit of green on it?

The glove rules are goofy enough as it is. Every sanctioning body has a different standard and just about all of them have changed or modified the rule several times in the past few years.

The new high school rule has been presented to the coaches in various meetings, covered in preseason literature and been covered as a point of emphasis. So far this year, I have had to address ten players with what NFHS now deems to be an illegal glove- and the season is young!
Before the season started (and whether I agreed or not) the interpretation was very clear after reading the pre-season NFHS guide. For a month of scrimmages and games we 'warned' coaches about this new interpretation and the ramification of it. Then the 'State rules interpreter' came out with a clarification that this was not illegal unless 'the umpire felt it was a distraction to the batter'. So does this now only apply to the pitcher?????

the pre-season guide does not specify this. And I have seen in games where I was 'looking' for 'optic' on gloves during warm up, to warn coaches, when I thought a player had optic writing on the outer side of the glove only to see that it was the ball. So I do see the intent of the new interpretation.

but what are other states, local chapters doing?