View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Also had a coach ticked off because someone threw an out of play ball directly back to the pitcher, she switched balls and I made her switch them back. Coach complained her pitcher didnt like the ball and wanted to know where in the rule book it said she couldnt switch. Told her I couldnt quote the exact rule number but if she went home and read the pitching regulations she would find it.
Strict ball rotation is a good way to upset both the pitcher and coach over what should be a non-issue in most cases. I don't know how far the ball went out of play in this case or how long it took to get it back in; but, most of the time if it just goes out of play or comes back in quickly, I'm not giving the pitcher a new ball so quickly.

Though still applicable to fast-pitch, I believe that ball rotation is a result of slow-pitch, where there is more gamesmanship going on.

Other than making sure that a new ball gets used to start the bottom of the 1st inning if it hadn't already been used, give the pitcher the ball she wants. That's the ball she is more likely to throw strikes with. There is enough to argue over without ball rotation being one of them.

Unless Federation changed the rule, it actually only addresses using the ball until it goes out of play. It doesn't say that the same ball can't still be used after it goes out of play.

With respect to ASA, it is a rules supplement, not even a rule.