The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

First games of the season...

... were today. I thought I was ready, the scrimmages last week went so well. Hah! Big difference between JV in 4A school and JV in a 1B. Oy.

Had a bit of trouble with getting my head into the game. But the Varsity game went much better, not only because the playing was night and day better but also because a veteran official made our third for the varsity game. (JV game, our third was a newbie, worse yet, a newbie who, I think, thought that working these games wouldn't be much different than the boys and girls games he had been officiating.)

With about five minutes left in the varsity game my legs informed me that they weren't sure they had five minutes left. But we made it. After the game one of the coaches said to me, "Thanks for your hustle out there."

Nice to have the effort appreciated.

Rita
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
... were today. I thought I was ready, the scrimmages last week went so well. Hah! Big difference between JV in 4A school and JV in a 1B. Oy.

Had a bit of trouble with getting my head into the game. But the Varsity game went much better, not only because the playing was night and day better but also because a veteran official made our third for the varsity game. (JV game, our third was a newbie, worse yet, a newbie who, I think, thought that working these games wouldn't be much different than the boys and girls games he had been officiating.)

With about five minutes left in the varsity game my legs informed me that they weren't sure they had five minutes left. But we made it. After the game one of the coaches said to me, "Thanks for your hustle out there."

Nice to have the effort appreciated.

Rita
Had my first also (3 HS age rec games)....my mechanics felt real rusty. Had a couple of "brain lock" moments. Coaches didn't notice but more experienced P did and we reviewed in post game. Played 20 min. halves......legs held up OK as I've been hitting the gym since the end of fall baseball/softball to keep them in shape. JV games start next week along with floor evaluations by V officials and 2nd year written exam.....got to get the brain and body working on the same page. Kust like last year I need to work on so much...esp. slowing down and taking the extra second to think AFTER I blow the whistle and BEFORE I open my mouth and/or give a signal.
Have a great season.