The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
"The pitcher must pitch that ball until such time as the ball goes out of play." That does not say that she can't continue to pitch the ball AFTER it goes out of play. It just says she has to use it UNTIL it goes out of play.
What do you think "out of play" means?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I knew we had been over this before, and not all that long ago either.

Ball Rotation
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
What do you think "out of play" means?
Good question, what do YOU think it means? Does it only mean (to you) left the park and gone forever, never to be seen again?

Given that we're discussing FED and ASA rules, most of us expect to get that ball back at some point ... sometimes immediately.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Good question, what do YOU think it means? Does it only mean (to you) left the park and gone forever, never to be seen again?

Given that we're discussing FED and ASA rules, most of us expect to get that ball back at some point ... sometimes immediately.
I was just making the point, by facetious question to one poster, that out of play means not being used.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
out of play means not being used.
I guess I missed your facetiousness, given that out of play actually means out of play - not being used means not being used.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:23pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I find this whole ball rotation discussion fascinating. I wonder what's the history behind it?

If a pitcher doesn't like the "feel" of the hole in front of the pitcher's plate, and asks for Time to have it fixed, aren't you going to take the time to help her out, perhaps even bringing the grounds crew in to do some repair work? But if that pitcher throws 7-8 balls in a row out of the strikezone, and she wants another ball, why the heck does ASA and FED tell me I can't give it to her?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I find this whole ball rotation discussion fascinating. I wonder what's the history behind it?

If a pitcher doesn't like the "feel" of the hole in front of the pitcher's plate, and asks for Time to have it fixed, aren't you going to take the time to help her out, perhaps even bringing the grounds crew in to do some repair work? But if that pitcher throws 7-8 balls in a row out of the strikezone, and she wants another ball, why the heck does ASA and FED tell me I can't give it to her?
I'm sure I'll be accused of not actually being at the table in the 1930s when the book was first written, but common sense says that it was implemented to prevent the pitcher from constantly asking for a new ball for the purpose of delaying the game. It also ensured that teams weren't throwing in "dead" balls while keeping the more juiced ones in the dugout. The issue with getting the new ball in in the bottom half of the second is just to make sure a new ball doesn't first enter the game in the 7th inning.

Abiding by strict ball rotation is ridiculous. Those who tend to do it don't properly interpret the rule, as is evident by others' posts. There is no remedy for not abiding by it. It isn't something that could be protested. Even if someone was dumb enough to protest it and someone else even dumber to uphold the protest, there is no remedy. What are you going to do, go back to the point of the protest and resume play from there with....hmmm....which ball do we use now....?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Abiding by strict ball rotation is ridiculous. Those who tend to do it don't properly interpret the rule, as is evident by others' posts. There is no remedy for not abiding by it. It isn't something that could be protested. Even if someone was dumb enough to protest it and someone else even dumber to uphold the protest, there is no remedy. What are you going to do, go back to the point of the protest and resume play from there with....hmmm....which ball do we use now....?
It's ridiculous to keep the playing field level? It's ridiculous to keep the game moving? It's ridiculous to insure the ball entering the field is legal and undamaged?

I have never had a problem with it and it doesn't become a problem because I do strictly adhere to it. And the teams expect it especially when they intentionally get rid of a ball because they do not like it. And there is nothing to protest, as you said, it isn't a rule, just a Rule Supplement. You may get a nice talking to by the UIC, but that's about it.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 07:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be accused of not actually being at the table in the 1930s when the book was first written, but common sense says that it was implemented to prevent the pitcher from constantly asking for a new ball for the purpose of delaying the game. It also ensured that teams weren't throwing in "dead" balls while keeping the more juiced ones in the dugout.
But these kinds of shenanigans can be taken care of through routine game management. The pitcher asks for a new ball once, no problem. She asks for another so shortly afterward, sorry; there's nothing wrong with the one I just gave you, let's play on. We do the same when a batter repeatedly requests Time from the box, or the catcher repeatedly requests Time to talk to the pitcher.

When I do baseball games, I give the pitcher a different ball whenever he requests one. I do the same when the ball is fouled off and stays within the fences, or the ball gets by the catcher to the backstop during between-inning warm-ups and even during the game (with no baserunners, obviously). The reason we do that is that the field is much bigger, and waiting for the catcher to get a ball from the backstop, or an outfielder to retrieve a foul ball in the corner, can disrupt the flow of the game. Teams usually know to have the on-deck batter or someone from the dugout to chase those down.

Oh well, like I said, fascinating.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(snip)When I do baseball games, I give the pitcher a different ball whenever he requests one. I do the same when the ball is fouled off and stays within the fences, or the ball gets by the catcher to the backstop during between-inning warm-ups and even during the game (with no baserunners, obviously). The reason we do that is that the field is much bigger, and waiting for the catcher to get a ball from the backstop, or an outfielder to retrieve a foul ball in the corner, can disrupt the flow of the game. Teams usually know to have the on-deck batter or someone from the dugout to chase those down.

(snip)
This paragraph on a softball discussion board from a guy who was complaining about an accurate descriptipn of a foul tip that may have been a little redundant????

(sorry, it must be one of those pick on Manny days)
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 03:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post

This paragraph on a softball discussion board from a guy who was complaining about an accurate descriptipn of a foul tip that may have been a little redundant????

(sorry, it must be one of those pick on Manny days)
Trust me, I live many of those days...
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trust me, I live many of those days...
I thought that was your UIC's job.....
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But these kinds of shenanigans can be taken care of through routine game management. The pitcher asks for a new ball once, no problem. She asks for another so shortly afterward, sorry; there's nothing wrong with the one I just gave you, let's play on. We do the same when a batter repeatedly requests Time from the box, or the catcher repeatedly requests Time to talk to the pitcher.
I agree 100%. Use common sense. Keep the pitcher happy. Keep the game moving.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree 100%. Use common sense. Keep the pitcher happy. Keep the game moving.
What about the batter? You going to keep him/her happy when the request for another ball comes from the batter?

And when the pitcher complains that s/he doesn't like the grip on that ball......yada, yada, yada......