View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I always prefered to walk up to whoever was keeping the book and give them the subs in a normal conversational tone. I also prefer that the coach giving me his subs comes to me in the same fashion. It just seems like this has less chance of something getting misunderstood or confused compared to yelling at each other across the field from a distance.

Now, if we go directly to the coach to report a sub, who's to say if whatever I told him is going to be accurately relayed to his scorekeeper.

I haven't had to personally deal with this yet- my high school games have been on the bases, so far. I guess that my options will be:

- Yell loudly toward the dugouts from a distance and hope that everyone who is supposed to hear me does and that they hear it correctly. (Saves time, but the possibility of miscommunication increases.)

- Go to just the coach, as the rule requires, tell him, then hope that he relays the correct info to his scorekeeper. (Saves time, possible miscommunication from coach to scorekeeper.)

- Report subs to the scorekeeper as I always have, making sure that they have it right, then verbally give the same changes to the coach when I track him down somewhere else on the field. (Takes a little longer, but less chance of miscommunication.)

- If they're in the same vicinity, call the coach over to the scorekeeper and give the subs to both of them at one time. (Saves time and less chance of miscommunication.)

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 11:04am.