The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"Sub..Sub..Sub" by the coach.
We should all know by now not to repeat the same word three times in a row.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Only Have Eyes For You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefItUp View Post
Making eye contact before putting the ball into play. I will stand there and wait until all my partners have signaled to me someway or another.
Excellent advice for both young and old.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We should all know by now not to repeat the same word three times in a row.

Sorry Billy never saw that movie.

I did see this movie.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
We teach to have the closest official to be the primary on a substitution. But I am of the opinion all of us should be aware of the situation and not allow the ball to be put in play if a sub is "ready." That does not mean "sub..sub..sub" by the coach before player can get off the bench.

Peace
I'm guessing this is one of those regional differences. I checked the NFHS manual and they say "closest to the table." Nobody I ever work with here would ever bring in a sub with the ball, and we still do a lot of 2-person at the varsity level. One of those things I never really questioned, so my apologies to the poster. You are probably closer to the book in Ohio than we are.

Still, as long as only one official is bringing in the subs, it really doesn't matter who does it.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm guessing this is one of those regional differences. I checked the NFHS manual and they say "closest to the table." Nobody I ever work with here would ever bring in a sub with the ball, and we still do a lot of 2-person at the varsity level. One of those things I never really questioned, so my apologies to the poster. You are probably closer to the book in Ohio than we are.

Still, as long as only one official is bringing in the subs, it really doesn't matter who does it.
At least for varsity games it is extremely rare (outside of the Chicago Public Schools) to do a 2 Person game. We have other officials that can see the sub. And for the record we teach this mechanic not because it is in the NF Manual (as we do not use such manual), it is because that seems to work best. And who brings the attention to the crew is not a sticking point around here or at least with me. I just want the sub to be brought in. But the initial communication or whistle blowing should come from the closest to the table. Then if we are in transition in 3 Person, we pass the C for the rest of the substitution responsibility.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 04:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
At least for varsity games it is extremely rare (outside of the Chicago Public Schools) to do a 2 Person game. We have other officials that can see the sub. And for the record we teach this mechanic not because it is in the NF Manual (as we do not use such manual), it is because that seems to work best. And who brings the attention to the crew is not a sticking point around here or at least with me. I just want the sub to be brought in. But the initial communication or whistle blowing should come from the closest to the table. Then if we are in transition in 3 Person, we pass the C for the rest of the substitution responsibility.

Peace
I'm pretty certain for 3 we do it exactly as you. I've been to a number of camps (HS and NCAAM) and the procedure there is exactly what I'm used to.

The guys I work with - we whistle in all subs. Like I said, in 2-person with the guys I work with, it's the one without the basketball that does this. If I'm standing trail with the ball tableside, the lead will be the one to get the sub with a whistle.

I'd be thrilled to work all 3-person, but the momentum for that has gone away with school funding being what it is.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You're right, Champ. It's just not fair that the damn scorer should get to use YOUR signaling device. Geeze, he might get it all dirty or sumthin'. And it's just not FAIR if the scorer wants you to sound your signalling device for him. Why should YOU do his job for him? Next time a scorer tries to pull that crap on you, tell him to piss off and get his own signalling device just like the rules tell him to.

Stand up for your rights. If the scorer wants to do that, call the AD. Wait, you're the acting AD, aren't you? That won't work. Call gym security instead? Wait, you're acting gym security, aren't you? That won't work either. Tell the head refereee. Wait, you're also the acting head referee, aren't you. DAMN!

Just call 9-1-1.
If I was, all you say I am, wouldn't I be getting paid instead of volunteer?

If a "person" closely reads the rules/regulstions closely, the horn the timer uses is only supposed to be used for the signaling to end a quarter/half/game. It is actually supposed to be the scorer that is to signal for subs after those subs are at the table & properly reported in.

Same can be said if there is a blarge/error in the score or a question concerning the score or fouls, it's the scorer that is supposed to signal, not the timer.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 06:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
1) If I was, all you say I am, wouldn't I be getting paid instead of volunteer?

2) If a "person" closely reads the rules/regulations closely, the horn the timer uses is only supposed to be used for the signaling to end a quarter/half/game. It is actually supposed to be the scorer that is to signal for subs after those subs are at the table & properly reported in. Same can be said if there is a blarge/error in the score or a question concerning the score or fouls, it's the scorer that is supposed to signal, not the timer.
I agree. It's an outrage that you're not being paid for your contributions to the CHS Eagles, their league, and basketball in general. An outrage, I tell ya!!! It's just another example of your local AD falling down on his duties. No wonder you have to do so much of his job. Maybe we can have a benefit for you, or sumthin' like that. Making sell ribbons. Or Livechseagle bracelets.

2) I also agree with that. It's not only an outrage, it's a travesty of the game that no one has ever given you your very own signaling device to follow the correct rules/regulations. An outrage AND a travesty, I tell ya!!! As of the posting of this response, I am starting up a campaign to raise the necessary funds to buy you the absolute best signaling device available. One that you can take home with you at night. In CHS Eagles' colors, of course. All donations can be sent to me, care of the location showing on my profile.

Please help send a signaling device to Chseagle before it's too late! Give 'til it hurts!
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I agree. It's an outrage that you're not being paid for your contributions to the CHS Eagles, their league, and basketball in general. An outrage, I tell ya!!! It's just another example of your local AD falling down on his duties. No wonder you have to do so much of his job. Maybe we can have a benefit for you, or sumthin' like that. Making sell ribbons. Or Livechseagle bracelets.

2) I also agree with that. It's not only an outrage, it's a travesty of the game that no one has ever given you your very own signaling device to follow the correct rules/regulations. An outrage AND a travesty, I tell ya!!! As of the posting of this response, I am starting up a campaign to raise the necessary funds to buy you the absolute best signaling device available. One that you can take home with you at night. In CHS Eagles' colors, of course. All donations can be sent to me, care of the location showing on my profile.

Please help send a signaling device to Chseagle before it's too late! Give 'til it hurts!
I do not mind volunteering my time, considering generally I can get a hot dog or two afterwards or maybe the rest of the popcorn that wasn't sold.

However, I do feel that if a person is actually getting paid, like the Varsity person is ($35 a night for 2 games), that they should be on the ball with all the current rules/regulations.

On any basketball night I average 3-4 games at the table, & 1-2 working as crowd control/security. I do it to support my alma mater (I know the question arises about neutrality) & to lessen the burden of having to find personnel to do table ops.

Last year, for the one game where I did Boys' Varsity Timer/Scoreboard I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, as the regular person did not show up that night.

For the 4A Regional I've done the past couple of years, I have done that to lessen the burden of those running ir to give them a truly neutral person that has no vested interest in the schools participating. Sure I may of gotten paid there but to me that was just an additional perk.

I do table ops cause I enjoy doing it & it gives me time away from the house, especially since I am unable to find any long term/permanent employment.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 10:22pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm pretty certain for 3 we do it exactly as you. I've been to a number of camps (HS and NCAAM) and the procedure there is exactly what I'm used to.

The guys I work with - we whistle in all subs. Like I said, in 2-person with the guys I work with, it's the one without the basketball that does this. If I'm standing trail with the ball tableside, the lead will be the one to get the sub with a whistle.

I'd be thrilled to work all 3-person, but the momentum for that has gone away with school funding being what it is.
Are you saying that you can have the ball and be right beside the table, but the lead official all the way down on the endline will blow his/her whistle to bring in a sub that is closer to you?
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 10:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Are you saying that you can have the ball and be right beside the table, but the lead official all the way down on the endline will blow his/her whistle to bring in a sub that is closer to you?
Yes. The person without the ball handles subs and holds up the game until they're in / out. The person with the ball gets the thrower-in ready and waits for the subs to be completed.

If we're working 3-person and I'm the trail tableside administering a throw-in, the center opposite will get the subs.

Seriously - that's how all the people I work with here have done it.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's consistent.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 12:20am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I am unable to find any long term/permanent employment.
go figure

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
go figure
The reasoning for that has been my health, & the region I live in seems to discriminate against those that speak English only.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Periodically, have I seen the official with the ball near the table call in subs. I've seen the official on the endline with the ball call in subs, although another official was closer to the table.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
go figure
9.6% 14.5% 22% and 8.7% Those are the National unemployment rate, unemployment rate for disabled people, 'real' unemployment rate and the state unemployment rate in Washington state
THOSE are the figures I assume you were talking about. Because I am sure you would not be disparaging someone who is experiencing personal difficulties in employment in times like these.