The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

As a member of the Board for the association up North, I'll contribute my feelings.

1. NEVER use two-hand reporting in a HS game. The NFHS manual specifies "with a one-handed signal." So follow the HS mechanics or don't work that level of ball. It comes off as big-timing to use two hands for reporting numbers.

2. I ALWAYS sound the whistle when bringing in subs. Why? Because the NFHS Officials Manual says to do so. It's on pages 41 (F2) and 78 (G2), for 2-man and 3-man mechanics. There is no doubt how the NFHS wants this done.

Note:
The table crew in my area is not part of the officials association and so does not have meetings or instruction other than from us just prior to the games. We get whomever the school provides. That is a difference between here and Vegas.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 07:39pm.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It comes off as big-timing to use two hands for reporting numbers.
I disagree. I think people read too much into it when officials report with two hands. Yes, reporting with two hands is not correct as far as the NFHS manual is concerned and should be commented on as such. But to go as far as saying reporting that way is big timing the game? That's a bit much IMO.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

TOM - Since you have a whislte in your mouth when you blow it, couldn't it be argued that by blowing the whistle IS communicating with your mouth?? (J/K I will ask a player to get a ball rather than blow the whistle)
I always blow the whistle, and usually verbalize SUB, when I am bringing subs into a game. But again, I am always in the more communication camp on situations like these
As for using one or two hands reporting in HS, I TRY to use one hand but more often then not revert back to two. Part of the reason, I think, is I was asked early on "Would you rather make a $65 mistake (reporting w/ 2 hand in NFHS) or a $400 mistake (reporting with one hand in NCAA -W).?" I do agree that it CAN come off as big time, but I think that has more to do with the personality of the official than the actual mechanic.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 09:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eat Fresh ...

After the horn sounds to get the substitutes in, if I wave in the substitutes and they don't come in, I'll yell, "Subs". If that doesn't work, I'll sound my whistle. That's the way most of us do it here in our little corner of the "Constitution State".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 09:44pm.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 09:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Run Silent, Run Deep ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I always sound the whistle when bringing in subs. Why? Because the NFHS Officials Manual says to do so. There is no doubt how the NFHS wants this done.
No whistle in the IAABO Manual.

Note to veteran NFHS mechanics users: Has the whistle for substitutes always been part of the NFHS Manual? Many years ago we used to use the NFHS mechanics, and I don't remember sounding the whistle to bring in substitutes.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 10:00pm.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 11:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I never whistle for a sub. However, I do sometimes whistle at a hot mom.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'll mention it, then. In my meeting with the table, I instruct the timer to only give a horn for subs when we don't recognize them. It may happen once or twice a game where we're too slow for the timer or the timer's too quick for us. Frankly, my timing is better than theirs 99% of the time.

Exactly. Don't blame the damn horn unless he's sitting on the X and I'm in la-la land.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
For those who are saying they use their whistle to get your partner's attention, is your table crew not doing their job? ...
Come on Tom, we all know at the HS level that table crew compentency varies GREATLY.

It's pretty simple for me:
  • Table hits horns, I use raised hand but no whistle from me
  • Table doesn't hit horn and I have eye contact with my partner I use voice and raised hand
  • Table doesn't hit horn and I DON'T have eye contact with my partner then I use whistle and raised hand

I really don't see what's the big deal though.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 09:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

I really don't see what's the big deal though.
It ain't a big deal. You do what your local association tells you to do. That includes one hand vs. two hand reporting also. And if you're not sure, you ask.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 10:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You do what your local association tells you to do. That includes one hand vs. two hand reporting also.
In India, associations allow ten hand reporting. It's true.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 10:14am.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I whistle to bring in subs and I use one hand reporting when doing HS games, on the occasion when, I have the opportunity to work NCAA-W games. I use two hand reporting. I have always been taught to be aware of what level you are working and use the proper mechanics.,
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 01:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
When in Rome......

As has been discussed, I try and do what I'm told.

As a mostly sub-V, AAU and Rec Official I use the whistle to bring in subs as the table crews are oft times not stellar performers/volunteers. Now, as I get better table crews at the JV/V games, often the horn will actually sound, in which case I have been instructed NOT to use the whistle as it is redundant.

I don't do College games, therefore I never use two-hands to report. My thoughts on that - I'm kinda in Nevada's camp here. Hey, if you do both levels and you can keep both sets of rules straight, you can keep your hand signals/mechanics straight too and you KNOW you should be using one-hand.....so, why use two? Unless you're trying to show someone something.....and what could that be?

JMO
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I never whistle for a sub. However, I do sometimes whistle at a hot mom.
So when you whistle at that hot mom, you're allowing her to enter the game to go after any loose balls?

Last edited by chseagle; Sat Sep 18, 2010 at 09:03pm.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
As for using one or two hands reporting in HS, I TRY to use one hand but more often then not revert back to two. Part of the reason, I think, is I was asked early on "Would you rather make a $65 mistake (reporting w/ 2 hand in NFHS) or a $400 mistake (reporting with one hand in NCAA -W).?" I do agree that it CAN come off as big time, but I think that has more to do with the personality of the official than the actual mechanic.
Amen! To that one, I used to hands since I first started refereeing, it just felt more natural to me. Yeah I got picked at about it, but those who know it has nothing to do with "big timing" anyone.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 10:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
So when you whistle at that hot mom, you're allowing her to enter the game to go after any loose balls?
Yeah - and if she does, I allow an exception to my no overtime rule!