The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 11:44am
Huck Finn

Whistle for a sub?

Do you use your whistle when calling in a sub or not and why? I have my opinion and would like to here others. While I know this is a small detail, I think some uniformity would be nice in our association. If it matters, we have table crew who are part of our association so they go through training.

While I'm at it, what do you think about officials reporting with two hands in a high school game? This may be a total contradiction to my first question, but I'm more concerned with officials getting calls right - which is a problem.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I never blew the whistle for subs till I moved to Dallas, where they require it. Now that I'm used to it, I do it all the time. I moved to another association nearby where they don't require it, but I am still doing it. I don't like blowing the whistle more than necessary, but I like it even less when I have to blow my whistle because my partner didn't look to see my hand raised while I was bringing in subs and he's handing the ball for a throw in.

As far as reporting mechanics, I think when working high school ball you should use high school mechanics.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I bring subs with a whistle. Sometimes in a crowded, loud gym we get distracted (coaches, hot moms, etc) during dead balls. I think the whistle catches everyones attention & prevents the ball from being inbounded with too many players on the court.

Two handed reporting in HS? I dont, some say its disrespecting the HS game by doing so...
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I bring subs with a whistle. Sometimes in a crowded, loud gym we get distracted (coaches, hot moms, etc) during dead balls. I think the whistle catches everyones attention & prevents the ball from being inbounded with too many players on the court.

Two handed reporting in HS? I dont, some say its disrespecting the HS game by doing so...
This is a good point; I only blow the whistle if I feel my partner didn't see the subs. However, we talk about this during our pregame meeting. Sometimes we have tableside get the sub or others feel more comfortable having the center grab the subs. Obviously thats in 3 man mechanics.

Two man the trail will have to get the subs.

Another big thing, something that I'm picky about, is making eye contact before putting the ball into play. I will stand there and wait until all my partners have signaled to me someway or another.

Just my two cents!
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefItUp View Post
This is a good point; I only blow the whistle if I feel my partner didn't see the subs. However, we talk about this during our pregame meeting. Sometimes we have tableside get the sub or others feel more comfortable having the center grab the subs. Obviously thats in 3 man mechanics.

Two man the trail will have to get the subs.

Another big thing, something that I'm picky about, is making eye contact before putting the ball into play. I will stand there and wait until all my partners have signaled to me someway or another.

Just my two cents!
You probably should review proper mechanics. In 2-person, it's the official without the basketball (or the trail during free throws). For example, if I'm administering a throw-in as a trail, the lead is blowing his whistle and beckoning the subs. In both 2-person and 3-person, there is no choice in the matter -- there's a correct person to bring in subs and the other two are simply incorrect.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Sep 19, 2010 at 02:35pm.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

We teach to have the closest official to be the primary on a substitution. But I am of the opinion all of us should be aware of the situation and not allow the ball to be put in play if a sub is "ready." That does not mean "sub..sub..sub" by the coach before player can get off the bench.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"Sub..Sub..Sub" by the coach.
We should all know by now not to repeat the same word three times in a row.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We teach to have the closest official to be the primary on a substitution. But I am of the opinion all of us should be aware of the situation and not allow the ball to be put in play if a sub is "ready." That does not mean "sub..sub..sub" by the coach before player can get off the bench.

Peace
I'm guessing this is one of those regional differences. I checked the NFHS manual and they say "closest to the table." Nobody I ever work with here would ever bring in a sub with the ball, and we still do a lot of 2-person at the varsity level. One of those things I never really questioned, so my apologies to the poster. You are probably closer to the book in Ohio than we are.

Still, as long as only one official is bringing in the subs, it really doesn't matter who does it.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Only Have Eyes For You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefItUp View Post
Making eye contact before putting the ball into play. I will stand there and wait until all my partners have signaled to me someway or another.
Excellent advice for both young and old.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have changed my mind a few times on this over the years. I do blow my whistle most of the time for these as I would rather do that than have the horn buzzed. A lot of time the table blows the buzzer when it is not warranted and I tell the table to let us bring them in and no buzzer. I will not do it all the time or even in many situations. But it gets the players and official's attention on some level. But it is only used when it is needed, not every time there is a substitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
While I'm at it, what do you think about officials reporting with two hands in a high school game? This may be a total contradiction to my first question, but I'm more concerned with officials getting calls right - which is a problem.
I forgot to answer this in my first post. I do not like it as it will be misconstrued too often by high school people at the table. I think that is why the mechanic says to use one hand. I think I will pass if they ever say we can do this. We do not use it in the leagues at the college level I work, so I do not see the big deal. Let women and NBA officials stay separate.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 12:56pm.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
NCAA-W instructed us a few years back to whistle EVERY time you bring in subs. I think its a good idea because it lets your partners know that you have something going on. We all know there are times we or our partners get in a hurry and rush a throwin. A quick whistle gets everyones attention and can save you some embarassment.

As for two hand mechanics...The last time I used 1 hand was at the State Tournament, other than that, you'll always see me with two. For me, it has nothing to do with disrespecting the game, it has to do with me working other types of games which require it. I don't want to change my normal rhythms and habits on the court. It's hard enough with rule differences, two hand reporting just seems very trivial to me.

Just my $.02 worth!
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Using the whistle for subs will depend on whether or not it's necessary (like in transition, for instance). Most of the times on crews I've worked with either T or C will hold their hand up and beckon the sub(s) in. We pre-game to make eye contact before we inbound the ball so we don't get caught unaware during these situations.

We use two-hand reporting for fouls and that was a switch for me when I started back officiating a couple of years ago. When first getting started officiating it was drilled into my head to (1) always use one hand and (2) to make sure it's off to the side and not in front of your face. It's stupid but going to two hands to report numbers required more than a little practice and the first year doing it I sometimes resorted to getting the numbers "ready" when walking to report the foul.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 01:15pm
Huck Finn

For those who are saying they use their whistle to get your partner's attention, is your table crew not doing their job? I know Rut says he tells them not to give him a horn, but other people haven't really been mentioning it. If the horn is going off, isn't this enough to get your partners attention?

Another reason I don't care for the whistle is communication. I'm going to vocalize a lot of things during a game that I don't hear from other officials. For instance, I have seen a ball bouncing away before inbounding and an official blows a whistle to "tell" a player to get the ball for him. Really? Why can't we talk? I have of the horn, "Blue sub" preference, but I'm listening.

As far as two-hand mechanics, I need patience. I was asked about it last year and was told "We are not college officials" by an official. I need patience in this situation because this particular officials, like many others, should be more concerned with making the right call before getting to the table. In my particular association I think we have bigger fish to fry. Again, I'm all ears.
Old Fri Sep 17, 2010, 01:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
For those who are saying they use their whistle to get your partner's attention, is your table crew not doing their job? I know Rut says he tells them not to give him a horn, but other people haven't really been mentioning it. If the horn is going off, isn't this enough to get your partners attention?
I'll mention it, then. In my meeting with the table, I instruct the timer to only give a horn for subs when we don't recognize them. It may happen once or twice a game where we're too slow for the timer or the timer's too quick for us. Frankly, my timing is better than theirs 99% of the time.

When watching JV games, it seems awkward watching the guys wait for the horn and then do the little wave to bring the player in.

I have always and will always report with one hand until told otherwise. However, I don't care if others use two hands.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'll mention it, then. In my meeting with the table, I instruct the timer to only give a horn for subs when we don't recognize them. It may happen once or twice a game where we're too slow for the timer or the timer's too quick for us. Frankly, my timing is better than theirs 99% of the time.

Exactly. Don't blame the damn horn unless he's sitting on the X and I'm in la-la land.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith