The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

College Women's. Last min. of 1st half. Action fast paced. Made basket, I'm new L. I check the clock, I see the clock stop at 5.1 sec. after a made basket, I start counting down, the clock restarts after the throwin. The team gets the ball down court, in front of me, in the corner, for a 3 point shot. The girl gets set to shoot, Beep, I blow my whistle, wave off her attempt, "yell no shot, clock stopped, end of half". And yes she stot and made the 3 point shot. I told my 15 yr. old daughter what happened and she said I should have whistled at 5.1 and reset the inbound play. SSooo, do you think I should have stopped the game with 5.1 and if so what do i do about the time?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
College Women's. Last min. of 1st half. Action fast paced. Made basket, I'm new L. I check the clock, I see the clock stop at 5.1 sec. after a made basket, I start counting down, the clock restarts after the throwin. The team gets the ball down court, in front of me, in the corner, for a 3 point shot. The girl gets set to shoot, Beep, I blow my whistle, wave off her attempt, "yell no shot, clock stopped, end of half". And yes she stot and made the 3 point shot. I told my 15 yr. old daughter what happened and she said I should have whistled at 5.1 and reset the inbound play. SSooo, do you think I should have stopped the game with 5.1 and if so what do i do about the time?
Bart, You are new lead and check clock-I like that.
College women's clock stops on made basket? If that is legal then clock starts on throw-in. Why are you counting-isn't that trails responsibility? Just asking I'm all NF.
If clock is not supposed to stop after made basket I would have whistled it down as soon as I knew the clock had stopped inappropriately. Reset the OOB throw-in with 5.1 you have the knowledge.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
College women's clock stops on made basket? [/B]
Only in the last min. of the game and OT's.

Quote:
Why are you counting-isn't that trails responsibility?[/B]
The C has the last second shot. But, I don't think this has anything to do with the C's call on a last sec. shot. This is a timing situation. All three officials are responsible.

Quote:
If clock is not supposed to stop after made basket I would have whistled it down as soon as I knew the clock had stopped inappropriately. Reset the OOB throw-in with 5.1 you have the knowledge. [/B]
You are probably correct about stopping the game, but I'm not sure you would be correct about the time. Clocks running, made basket, clock stops, I notice, Team A retriving the ball, beep, HHhhmmm, 5.1sec.? I don't know, you might be right. What about the time it would have taken to retrive the ball, step oob for the throwin?

Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
College women's clock stops on made basket? If that is legal then clock starts on throw-in. Why are you counting-isn't that trails responsibility?
MOFFICIAL,
Women don't have the 10 second back court thingy and all officials are encouraged to be glancing at the clock in every transition.
mick
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Bart,
The clock was improperly stopped after the made basket. If you have definite knowledge of time not run off then get together and correct accordingly. Perhaps taking a second for lag time would be appropriate to accomodate for retrieval, you did say it was fast paced. My opinion is at least if you stop it when you knew it happened then the inbounding team would definitely know the amount of time they had to work with.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My opinion is at least if you stop it when you knew it happened then the inbounding team would definitely know the amount of time they had to work with. [/B]
Good point, maybe if she saw she had a sec or two less to work with then she would have pulled up earlier.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
My opinion is at least if you stop it when you knew it happened then the inbounding team would definitely know the amount of time they had to work with.
I agree with this. I understand that your stopping play to reset changes the opportunities that the offense has. Stopping the game will allow the defense to get set. Look at it another way though...

Players are not taught to look at the clock the same way that we are. It's different. Player inbounds the ball to a guard, presumably. The guard is bringing the ball up the court and takes a quick glance to determine time left. She sees a number that is greater than what is in your head. She decides there is enough time to pass to an open shooter (instead of taking that desperation shot). You whistle it dead and say that time has expired.

You see. The only reason not to stop the game initially was to maintain the advantage for the offense. Instead you have inadvertently fooled them into thinking there was more time. An obvious disadvantage.

I have never encountered this situation. Thanks for bringing it to the forum and being open-minded in the discussion. This will help me call it right in the future.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 03:42pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

"If an official(s) has information that a game or shot clock error has/could have occurred in the last few seconds of the game, that official(s) shall communicate such information with the R in a concise manner."

There is no procedure for blowing the whistle and restarting the play that I can find.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I think you have to do it immediately or let it go. Nice catch by the way

My two sense!