Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post

Man enough?? You need to show thicker skin. If one guy goes back to the dugout, and gives it for 30 seconds or so, you let it go.
So, you will allow the chirping at you about "balls and strikes" or a play which happened 2 innings ago. Just as long as they do it from the dugout.

30 seconds of yelling at you about a play? You allow that much before you will consider anything?

That is not having thicker skin. That is being weak in front of everyone on the field, including your partner.

Coach first, umpire second. Take it as what you want. Insult? Well, you should have thicker skin then.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Did he? Or was it just Gibson's strike three check swing mechanic? Or some of both? (I'd venture the last.)
He was showing him up. If he wants to signal a third strike with a big punch out, then he can take some long-distance crap for rubbing the hitter's nose in it. But he wants to give the big punch out and then act like it's a surprise when the hitter takes umbrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
So, you will allow the chirping at you about "balls and strikes" or a play which happened 2 innings ago. Just as long as they do it from the dugout.

30 seconds of yelling at you about a play? You allow that much before you will consider anything?

That is not having thicker skin. That is being weak in front of everyone on the field, including your partner.

Coach first, umpire second. Take it as what you want. Insult? Well, you should have thicker skin then.
Did you ever play the game? Maybe you would see this type of situation differently.

And I do everything on a case-by-case basis. Thirty seconds is how long it takes in most cases. It's my way of managing a game in most cases. And I am very successful at my game management, and I am respected for my authority and control. It's not a sign of weakness, and I am not treated that way as a result. Quite the opposite, really.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 11:18am.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty
You never played the game did you?
Yikes...I'd expect to hear that from a coach, not another umpire.

Try to remember we're on the same team here folks.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

everyone is getting wet

Why must damn near everything turn into a pissing contest here? From the video it appears as if Blake said nothing that would get him ejected..."that's bull$hit!, etc." He did, however, openly mock Gibson by mocking his mechanic. So...the question remains on the table: Is it OK to openly mock an umpire from the dugout as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was showing him up.
Is there some history between Blake and Gibson? Is it possible that a strike three check swing fits into the category of called strike three by a plate umpire and therefore it is permissible to add a little flare to it?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you ever play the game? Maybe you would see this type of situation differently.
College ball included. Thank you very much.

But, that really got a much more dignified answer than it deserved. And, no I don't see it differently. I see it as a player being a jerk and the umpire let him know he had enough.

Not very thick skinned, are you? And, yes, that is being weak to not want to eject b/c now every umpire behind you has to put up with that same BS until they decide to get rid of those same idiots that you chose not to. You put it off onto the next umpire to have to control the situation.

And, I say "Coach first, umpire second" based on many of your posts including ones on this thread. You are quick to defend the players/coaches and jump on the umpire as you are doing in this thread. Keep proving it with every post. You did with this one.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:32am

Quote:
Coaches first, umpires second? Thanks for the open insult to my/our integrity. I'm not permanently biased toward anything. That was a weak ejection from the standpoint of an umpire and only the standpoint of an umpire.

And if an umpire is an adversary of coaches, and has the scornful attitude that some have toward most or all coaches, perhaps they need to take a look in the mirror.

Man enough?? You need to show thicker skin. If one guy goes back to the dugout, and gives it for 30 seconds or so, you let it go. He didn't throw his bat, and he didn't even look back at you on the way to the dugout. Let him boil until he runs out of steam, and then keep doing your job rather than over-doing it.
I don't usually disagree with you, but in this case I must. Gibson, or any other umpire worth his shin guards, needs to take care of business when openly mocked or ridiculed by a player or coach, no matter whether they are in the dugout or on the field. I don't care if the player goes back into the dugout and takes a bat to the Gatorade jug, or breaks equipment that belongs to the team. That's the manager's problem. But when he stands at the dugout openly taunting and gesturing at me, then we have a problem. And if he is not part of the solution, then he is the problem and must go away.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 11:36am. Reason: spelling
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:34am

Quote:
So...the question remains on the table: Is it OK to openly mock an umpire from the dugout as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it?
So...the answer remains: No.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it OK to mock an umpire as long as the player does it in the dugout? At 1:09 to 1:13 on the video one can see what Blake did to get tossed; he yelled at Gibson and mocked his punch-out mechanic. So, if a player openly mocks you (essentially to your face since it appears that he made sure Gibson was looking at him) as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it; you let it go?
My point was is that if you are going to toss him, toss him while he is on the field.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
My point was is that if you are going to toss him, toss him while he is on the field.
But, if he is going to wait until he gets to the dugout to mock you or start calling you everything under the sun, are you going to wait until one of his feet are on the field?

Again, if he is not man enough to do it on the field, why am I going to let him be coward enough to do it in the dugout?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
That works if he does anything on the field that would warrant him being tossed but I'm not going to pass on an ejection just because the ejectee is in the dugout.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
You are basing this on responses from those who are coaches first, umpires second.
I have officiated many sports for 20+ years (baseball for 15+) and heave helped coach a 9 and 10 yr old baseball team for a few months.

You base your baseless snide opinion of me on one incident with one lump of carbon getting paid to be an umpire.

Those that know me personally and those that know you personally have one thing in common-both groups know you are full of crap.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have officiated many sports for 20+ years (baseball for 15+) and heave helped coach a 9 and 10 yr old baseball team for a few months.

You base your baseless snide opinion of me on one incident with one lump of carbon getting paid to be an umpire.

Those that know me personally and those that know you personally have one thing in common-both groups know you are full of crap.
Oh, I guess I need to grow that thick skin that Kevin eluded to.

You are protecting Blake's actions simply b/c he wasn't on the field. That is a weak excuse to not eject and that is just weak. Passing an EJ is weak. The actual EJ is doing one's job. Gibson did his job.

So, where do you draw the line?

I based it on many posts I have seen from you and Kevin. So, I stand by my assessment. Prove me wrong. Was Blake's EJ justified, warranted, and carried out properly based on what he had to work with[The Rat waited until he got into the dugout to do his antics towards the umpire]?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That works if he does anything on the field that would warrant him being tossed but I'm not going to pass on an ejection just because the ejectee is in the dugout.
I watched the video again. I originally did not notice what Blake did as a mock of Gibson's puchout-I guess it probably was. I could see dumping him for that. However, if that is all he did, some guys would let it slide and be able to live happy and normal lives.

Someone else mentioned a possible history with those two. If there is, then who knows what was really going on.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I watched the video again. I originally did not notice what Blake did as a mock of Gibson's puchout-I guess it probably was. I could see dumping him for that. However, if that is all he did, some guys would let it slide and be able to live happy and normal lives.

Someone else mentioned a possible history with those two. If there is, then who knows what was really going on.
So, you don't approve of what Blake did? And, with him doing it and yelling across the field directly at Gibson?

Would you have ejected him if he did all of that to you and was yelling across the field at you saying things like "that's BS"? Would it take you 30 seconds to finally say something or get rid of him?