The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Mil @ LA Mota ejection-Vin has the call

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIL@LAD: Mota is ejected after hitting Fielder - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I love Vin Scully...also, Fielder's reaction is priceless. They are losing 17-4 and he gets drilled...he didn't even seem angry-just perplexed.

They play again tonight for the last time this season. Someone is getting hit.

Edited: OOPS! I guess the Prince was a little upset after all: http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=mil

Last edited by jwwashburn; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 08:55am.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

"As if he had read the book yesterday..."

"Bam. Your outa' here. See' ya. Good bye. Adios"

Classic Scully.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I love this one, also...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Blake, Torre ejected for arguing balls and strikes - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

"And Gibson said, 'You're outta here with your fertilizer'"
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

"He changed it from horse to bull; it's still fertilizer."

I could listen to Scully call ballgames forever. And this is from an Oakland A's fan.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

That Blake ejection was weak. Ejections like that make the umpire the main show. Go home and eject the dog or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
"He changed it from horse to bull; it's still fertilizer."

I could listen to Scully call ballgames forever. And this is from an Oakland A's fan.
Vinny is the one thing in life that is virtually unchanged since I moved to Southern California in 1964. He is one of the game's gods. I can take or leave the Dodgers, but I watch them religiously merely to listen to Vinny. He is truly without a peer, and he's the only guy around that doesn't use--or need--a color commentator. What a joy it is not hearing a blathering ex-player like Joe Morgan stealing his time. And as an 80-year-old in his 61st year calling games, he hasn't lost much, I'll tell you that.

Vincent Edward Scully ... there will never be a greater voice of this great game.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 10:10am.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Wow!

That Blake ejection was weak. Ejections like that make the umpire the main show. Go home and eject the dog or something.
I would agree. If You are going to dump Blake, do it while he is on the field. But to do it from where he did it with Blake in the dugout made the umpire look ridiculous.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Mocking is OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I would agree. If You are going to dump Blake, do it while he is on the field. But to do it from where he did it with Blake in the dugout made the umpire look ridiculous.
Is it OK to mock an umpire as long as the player does it in the dugout? At 1:09 to 1:13 on the video one can see what Blake did to get tossed; he yelled at Gibson and mocked his punch-out mechanic. So, if a player openly mocks you (essentially to your face since it appears that he made sure Gibson was looking at him) as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it; you let it go?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Is it OK to mock an umpire as long as the player does it in the dugout? At 1:09 to 1:13 on the video one can see what Blake did to get tossed; he yelled at Gibson and mocked his punch-out mechanic. So, if a player openly mocks you (essentially to your face since it appears that he made sure Gibson was looking at him) as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it; you let it go?
You are basing this on responses from those who are coaches first, umpires second.

I'll eject them if they are on the field or in the dugout where they feel like it is a safety zone. I have done it and will continue if some player wants to yell at me from the dugout. Too many have this idea in their head that it looks bad if the umpire tosses someone while that person is not in their face yelling at them.

If he is not man enough to say it to my face, why should I let him be coward enough to say it with his back to me or from his dugout?

Good EJ IMO.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Tony is right. Yes, he was back in the dugout, but you cannot let Blake demonstrate like that. Gibson kinda shoved it up Blake's a$$ with his mechanic but I would guess there is is probually some history between Blake and Gibson. That's the PRO game.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
You are basing this on responses from those who are coaches first, umpires second.
No, I don't think so. I am asking a question. Two posters claimed it was a weak ejection; so, I am asking if it is OK to mock an umpire under those circumstances. I am interested in exploring the circumstances under which it is and is not OK to mock an umpire.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman View Post
Gibson kinda shoved it up Blake's a$$ with his mechanic ... That's the PRO game.
Did he? Or was it just Gibson's strike three check swing mechanic? Or some of both? (I'd venture the last.)
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coaches first, umpires second? Thanks for the open insult to my/our integrity. I'm not permanently biased toward anything. That was a weak ejection from the standpoint of an umpire and only the standpoint of an umpire.

And if an umpire is an adversary of coaches, and has the scornful attitude that some have toward most or all coaches, perhaps they need to take a look in the mirror.

Quote:
I'll eject them if they are on the field or in the dugout where they feel like it is a safety zone. I have done it and will continue if some player wants to yell at me from the dugout. Too many have this idea in their head that it looks bad if the umpire tosses someone while that person is not in their face yelling at them.

If he is not man enough to say it to my face, why should I let him be coward enough to say it with his back to me or from his dugout?

Good EJ IMO.
Man enough?? You need to show thicker skin. If one guy goes back to the dugout, and gives it for 30 seconds or so, you let it go. He didn't throw his bat, and he didn't even look back at you on the way to the dugout. Let him boil until he runs out of steam, and then keep doing your job rather than over-doing it.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 11:03am.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
[url=http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5927105]

Edited: OOPS! I guess the Prince was a little upset after all: http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=mil
Prince trying to get into the Dodger's locker room after the game.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
...from the standpoint of an umpire and only the standpoint of an umpire.
Then, if this is true, you would agree that the EJ was warranted and earned. Nothing weak about it. What would have been weak would be not to eject at all. That would have been weak on Gibson's part, allowing a player to mouth off like that. And, obviously someone was watching b/c it was caught on tape. So, someone saw Blake mouthing off about the call.

So, where do you draw the line at someone yelling at you on the field? In your face yelling at you? Their back is to you? Before they get into the dugout? When they have their back to you in the dugout calling you anything and everything under the sun?

Just wondering where you draw the line and stop considering your EJ of someone as justified and becomes weak.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

As a lifelong Giants fan/Dodger hater (sorry for the redundancy) I still will stop my day to hear Vin Scully announce a game. He is one for the ages.