The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I copied this from the softball board. I summed it up below to see if people would handle this differently in baseball as opposed to softball. Here is the link if you want to see the whole thread. http://www.officialforum.com/thread/13992

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had a play at the plate where both defensive coaches disagreed with my call. Once time was granted, I had stereo coaches...One in each ear complaining. My partner(who was very young...The Misses was on another diamond) was standing out by 2nd base.

My question is this. If your partner gets double teamed by the coaches.....What do you do?

Doesn't matter if you think they kicked the call or don't like them for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
If two coaches are up in your face yelling at you, all you have to do is eject the assistant coach. That will get him out of there, then all you have to do is camly explain yourself to the manager.
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
You're kidding, right? The only way that coach is going to leave immediately after being ejected is if you turn the the manager and say, "Before anything else is discussed, that coach has got to be gone, and by the way, he's on the clock."

I don't suggest anyone put themselves in that situation, but like R1 forced at 2B, they aren't just going to go poof and disappear because you eject them.

They may quite down, or walk away an pout, but if you get to the point where you need to eject someone, I believe you should take care of that piece of business before moving on with the discussion.
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
You're kidding, right? You allow assistant coaches to get up in you ear and argue a call with you? It is one thing when the manager is up in your ear yelling at you, he better watch what he says, because anyone who yells at me is close to getting tossed. But when assistant coach is up in my face yelling, I am getting rid of him right then.

And if neither one of the two guys who are in my face is the manager, then we might be having a doulbe ejection.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I would not automatically eject an assistant for arguing a call. I treat anybody who come to me the same.

But back to your question; if my partner were double teamed by two coaches, what I would do depends on my partner. If he is a seasoned veteran I would expect him to handle it, and I would not intervene. If we was a new guy learning the ropes, I would come to his aid. It might take a moment or two for me to arrive because I want to see how he is going to handle it first. I am not going to come "charging in to the rescue" because you gotta learn sometime. He may handle it just fine and don't need my help. Or he may look at me when I arrive with that "help me" look, and I will.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking more than just arguing, in my mind I had the assistant coach up in my face yelling at me. If the manager was yelling at me, I would try to calm him down. But I would just eject the assistant if he were in the same spot.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Some of my fellow umpires feel the same way about assistants. I know this from previous posts. I treat them all like people and eject the ones that say the magic words.
Old Sat Jun 05, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Whoa, wait a minute!

You said the DEFENSIVE coaches were barking at you. That means they came out of the dugout, instead of the coaching boxes. One has to go no matter what. Two coaches coming out of a dugout to double team an umpire cannot be allowed. I'd point to one, and tell him to stay put, but if he insists he's gone.

If I'm on the bases in situation, I'll chase the non-manager stepping out of the dugout by whatever means needed. No way he's getting to my partner. No way.

Oh yeah, and nobody yells at me on a baseball field and stays in the game. Nobody.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 12:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I would not automatically eject an assistant for arguing a call. I treat anybody who come to me the same.

But back to your question; if my partner were double teamed by two coaches, what I would do depends on my partner. If he is a seasoned veteran I would expect him to handle it, and I would not intervene. If we was a new guy learning the ropes, I would come to his aid. It might take a moment or two for me to arrive because I want to see how he is going to handle it first. I am not going to come "charging in to the rescue" because you gotta learn sometime. He may handle it just fine and don't need my help. Or he may look at me when I arrive with that "help me" look, and I will.
The assistant coach's job is to retrieve equipment between innings, say "hum baby", and tell runners to turn left. I'm not having a prolonged conversation with an assistant just so I can repeat myself with the manger/head coach.

I expect my partners to pick one of the coaches (the assistant, most importantly) off if two were to doubleteam me. This is part of the job description. If you're going to leave two coaches with one umpire while you stand in the outfield and pick your nose, then I'd rather earn both checks and leave you at home.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

The assistant coach's job is to retrieve equipment between innings, say "hum baby", and tell runners to turn left. I'm not having a prolonged conversation with an assistant just so I can repeat myself with the manger/head coach.

I expect my partners to pick one of the coaches (the assistant, most importantly) off if two were to doubleteam me. This is part of the job description. If you're going to leave two coaches with one umpire while you stand in the outfield and pick your nose, then I'd rather earn both checks and leave you at home.
I wouldn't be in the outfield and I would expect the PU to get rid of one or both of them pretty quickly. If he don't, like I said, I will be there to help. Your opinion of assistants is pretty consistent, and I don't share it.

[Edited by DG on Jun 6th, 2004 at 09:25 AM]
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine I'd ever let it get to that point. An umpire has got to be aware of the situation at hand. If this guy let two coaches approach him from the dugout and didn't have the presence of mind to stop both of them before they even got to him, he already has screwed the situation up.

I'd stop them before they even got to me, put up the stop sign and order the assistant back to dugout and the tone of my voice would leave no doubt I meant it. If the assistant continued to try and advance, he'd be restricted to the dugout immediately in NFHS or tossed otherwise. Then I would be happy to discuss it with the manager.

If I did get into situation you described above, I would say to the assistant, "YOU! Back to the dugout now or your gone, I'll discuss this with the manager." If he doesn't turn and walk away, he's gone.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

I wouldn't be in the outfield and I would expect the PU to get rid of one or both of them pretty quickly. If he don't, like I said, I will be there to help. Your opinion of assistants is pretty consistent, and I don't share it.

[Edited by DG on Jun 6th, 2004 at 09:25 AM]
My opinion is an overexaggeration, but intentionally so to prove a point. The head coach is the only one that is traditionally allowed to leave his position to discuss a call on the field. If an assistant starts, I'll simply say, "If the head guy wants to come out and talk, I'll be glad to talk to him." I'll be cordial and polite, but I will also eject an assistant coach (especially in summer ball) very quickly if he doesn't understand me and continues arguing.

Not all coaches are equal -- that's why there is one head coach and multiple assistants.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Something i pre-game with my partners...

When talking to a coach and u need help put ur hands on ur hips and and tug on ur belt and I'll be right over.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb In my experience.

I have made this point very clear over the years. Assistants are to be seen and not heard. I do not respond to Asst. unless they are asking questions in a calm tone and demeanor or they are calling time out for their players. There job is to never argue directly with me. At least not in HS and college games. Most coaches understand this very well.

I had a situation earlier this year where a batter let the ball hit him (a very slow curve ball) so he could go to first. This happen about 2 other times and was very clear that this team was taught this. And after this situation, my partner said to me but I did not hear the kid, said the batter said, "they teach us to do that." But just as I ruled that the batter was to stay at home, I had both coaches start at me. I simply pointed to the Assistant Coach while looking at the Head Coach and said, "why is he talking?" The Assistant Coach got the message and went right back to where he was. The Head Coach continued to argue, which I had not problem with. He did make a comment to me that got him restricted to the dugout during that same conversation. But that was the only blow up and not another incident happen during the game. Now this was a Varsity game, so I am it is clear to me that the coaches understand this procedure or practice very well. This has nothing to do with treating them like human beings or not treating them like human beings. The coaches have a pecking order. And the rules back this up. Actually that is the case in all sports I officiate. The HC has rights that the Assistants never have. But it is very rare that I ever have assistants complain about anything. Mainly I see this is they understand their roles and understand how umpires are going to handle them when they start to complain.

Peace