Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
College ball included. Thank you very much.

But, that really got a much more dignified answer than it deserved. And, no I don't see it differently. I see it as a player being a jerk and the umpire let him know he had enough.

Not very thick skinned, are you? And, yes, that is being weak to not want to eject b/c now every umpire behind you has to put up with that same BS until they decide to get rid of those same idiots that you chose not to. You put it off onto the next umpire to have to control the situation.

And, I say "Coach first, umpire second" based on many of your posts including ones on this thread. You are quick to defend the players/coaches and jump on the umpire as you are doing in this thread. Keep proving it with every post. You did with this one.
I truly, honestly did not mean it to sound that way, and if it did, which I can understand, I apologize whole-heartedly. I was just asking you to see that he left the field and earned the right to fume a little.

Sorry if it sounded like typical player-umpire blowhard posturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Is there some history between Blake and Gibson? Is it possible that a strike three check swing fits into the category of called strike three by a plate umpire and therefore it is permissible to add a little flare to it?
No flair. But that's an individual's choice. This individual made the choice to take a chance at showing the guy up. He did; the guy didn't like it, and he gave a quick demonstration of it. The guy that showed him up also had a quick trigger. Bad combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Yikes...I'd expect to hear that from a coach, not another umpire.

Try to remember we're on the same team here folks.
I hear you; I didn't mean it quite the same way as it sounded. I just tend to think that if a guy goes to the dugout and doesn't point or taunt or do anything until he gets to the dugout, and then fumes a little, he's earned a little latitude for not showing the guy up in front of the world. I understand and accept that. And I do it without being or showing weakness.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 04:39pm.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read...he was punched out, he has the right to act like that haha Go back to telling us which umpires are mailing it in.
You run your games your way, I will continue to run mine my highly successful way. I treat every situation differently, and in that situation, with grown men playing at the highest level, I would have let the guy blow off some steam for a little while, instead of running him from 160 feet for saying crap I couldn't even hear.

(I love the way 30 seconds became two innings earlier.)
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 05:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You run your games your way, I will continue to run mine my highly successful way. I treat every situation differently, and in that situation, with grown men playing at the highest level, I would have let the guy blow off some steam for a little while, instead of running him from 160 feet for saying crap I couldn't even hear.

(I love the way 30 seconds became two innings earlier.)
If the guy is just blowing off steam, fine. The minute he starts mimicking me with visuals that the folks in the stands can see, he's done.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I agree with you-with an edit to the first sentence.

Only ejectable offenses should lead to ejections.

Over the years, I have seen plenty of ejectable offenses not lead to ejections. I have also seen NON-ejectable behavior lead to ejections-I have been guilty of a few of those, myself. So, when I see an ejection in the MLB, I try to figure out what happened. Sometimes, it is obvious, other times it is not. Sometimes, umpires are in the wrong

Just because I do not blindly accept what an umpire's actions does not make me a rat.

I defended Todd Tichenor's 4 ejection game a while back to many people in person who blamed the umpire. In my personal relationships, I am nearly always explaining why the umpire was right.
This was an ejectable offense, the video shows what he did so I think many people on here are wondering why you want to ask what did he do?

It seems clear as day what he did. Its also clear as day that this is ejectable offense.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If the guy is just blowing off steam, fine. The minute he starts mimicking me with visuals that the folks in the stands can see, he's done.
So the fake umpires from the BLue Jays games are not welcome at any game you're workin'?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Good ejection IMO. For the record, Gibson is not the only MLB umpire that I've seen use that kind of punch out for a check swing on strike three.

I don't see why the crowd has to see something for it to be ground for ejection. Do you let them do whatever they want as long as the crowd doesn't see it but you can?
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would have let the guy blow off some steam for a little while, instead of running him from 160 feet for saying crap I couldn't even hear.
You need to stop arguing about this; you don't even understand why he was ejected.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oooooohhhh, I don't?

Okay, how's this?

Gibson gave the guy this big punch-out, and then stares at him until he mimics the punch-out FROM THE FLOOR OF THE INSIDE OF THE DUGOUT, and the thin-skinned Gibson, who can't tolerate when somebody he shows up shows him up FROM THE FLOOR OF THE INSIDE OF THE DUGOUT, so he tosses him from 160 feet.

It's weak.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You run your games your way, I will continue to run mine my highly successful way.
Excellent advice. Why not extend that to you run your games your way, and ML umpires will run games their way?

Then, at the end of the day, let's see who goes farther in umpiring.

Last edited by Ump153; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 09:49pm.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think this thread is now the one full of fertilizer.....
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
I think this thread is now the one full of fertilizer.....
Don't worry it will be over soon. After Kevin Finnerty sees this picture of Tim McClelland, who has been mailing it in for years, his head will explode and no one will be exposed to any more of his posts.

Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin I guess I don't understand. You criticize guys like McClelland for being so nonchalant and acting like they don't care, but then you criticize Gibson for being too "flamboyant" or whatever other adjective you want to use.

I'm sure you run your games fine, and so does Gibson, seeing as he's in the best crop of umpires in the world.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Gibson gave Blake an opportunity to blow off steam on the way to the dugout, but then Blake gets to the dugout and assume he has reached a sanctuary and can keep ******ng. Wrong.

The dugout is not mom's petticoat to hide behind.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Gibson gave Blake an opportunity to blow off steam on the way to the dugout, but then Blake gets to the dugout and assume he has reached a sanctuary and can keep ******ng. Wrong.

The dugout is not mom's petticoat to hide behind.
That last line is pretty funny!

Now back up to your curse word ******ng????? Did you misspell it or misuse it? I have no idea what word that is.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
That last line is pretty funny!

Now back up to your curse word ******ng????? Did you misspell it or misuse it? I have no idea what word that is.
The word is b!tching.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread