The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:54am
We don't rent pigs

Fan ejection

This happened last night. I was there and was a witness from a distance, and had some of the dialog filled in by sources that I deem to be reliable.
Situation: Team A is majority white wearing red jerseys. Team B is majority black wearing white jerseys. The official involved is black. The fan is white. A1 trapped in front of his own bench, squeezed pretty hard by B1 & B2. Ball is stolen, then foul is called on A1. Guy behind A's bench says, (paraphrasing) "Aren't you going to call any of the pushing on white?" (referring to the white jerseys) Official looked up at him, (they were only a few feet apart) "What did you say?" Fan: "You heard what I said." Official went and spoke to the home principal and the fan was asked to leave, which he did without further incident.
A few minutes later another A player went down hard in the lane and was slow to get up, not sure if there was a call on this play or not. Another A fan jumped from his seat on the stage to help the kid up. (he was ok) The fan gave the open palm gesture to the same official and said something like "C'mon, they're killing us!" Official quickly shot back, "You wanna be next?" and, I believe, pointed to the door. Both fans have expressed the intention to report the incident. I'm not sure who they intend to report it to, assignor, state office, or someone higher. (I could give them Padgett's name) How does everyone see this, and what, if anything, would be the fallout where you are?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

I don't know what to make of that.
Any ejection in my area (player, fan, coach, team member, bench personnel, etc.) require a written report to the state office by the ejecting offical. After that it is in their hands and they deal with anything from the school, team, AD, parents, etc.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:04am
We don't rent pigs

I left out something which might or might not be important in the big scheme of things. Apparently the official told the principal that the fan had made a racial remark. If this is true and what I heard was said is true apparently he heard the word white and took it out of context.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
I left out something which might or might not be important in the big scheme of things. Apparently the official told the principal that the fan had made a racial remark. If this is true and what I heard was said is true apparently he heard the word white and took it out of context.
Perhaps the official was correct. Perhaps the whole thing was a misunderstanding. It would depend upon the delivery, the context, the previous history, and many other factors.

Why do want to know? Are you just curious or do you have a dog in this fight? Perhaps a son on one of the teams?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:14am
We don't rent pigs

I don't have any dogs in the fight, exactly, but the official is from my association , and the fans are from the school that my son graduated from last year.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Ok, fair enough.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 04:58pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

In general ignore fans -- it will make your life a lot easier.

I've kicked out a fan once and it was because he got out of the stands, came near the court -- right to the OOB line -- to yell at me. I wasn't going to wait for anything worse to happen.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

had one a couple years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

I've kicked out a fan once and it was because he got out of the stands, came near the court -- right to the OOB line -- to yell at me. I wasn't going to wait for anything worse to happen.
The fan was berating the 7th grade girls running the clock in a jr high game.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 05:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
The fan was berating the 7th grade girls running the clock in a jr high game.
Good call.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 02:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I know that and you know that, but, apparently this guy didn't. So we wait to see what happens now.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 06:04am
In Memoriam

I never come to any conclusions in stories like this without hearing the official's side. I learned that one a long time ago. It's amazing the difference that you get sometimes.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 06:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
A few minutes later another A player went down hard in the lane and was slow to get up, not sure if there was a call on this play or not. Another A fan jumped from his seat on the stage to help the kid up. (he was ok) The fan gave the open palm gesture to the same official and said something like "C'mon, they're killing us!" Official quickly shot back, "You wanna be next?" and, I believe, pointed to the door. Both fans have expressed the intention to report the incident.
A fan comes out of the stands and ON the court and runs the officiating down? The official should be reporting that; not the fan. Fans coming out on the floor during a game are a security problem.

I don't have to wait and get the fan's side of the story on this one, if what you said is true. Fans have no business being out on the court at any time, and especially so if they're yapping at officials while they're out there.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 07:03am.