The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:39am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed
I watched a good, non-Smitty umpire kick dirt off second base yesterday. Actually I'd like to think even those who would "never" do field maintenence would have made an exception in this case. Here in sunny California, we need to water the infields to keep them in playable condition, and a broken water main had left the area around second with 2 or 3 inches of dust. Umpires and fielders could see the base, but baserunners coming at high speed had difficulty in picking up the base. I suppose BU could have stopped the game and called in the field crew to clean the base, he wasn't too proud to take care of it himself. The defense sure wasn't going to do it!

From my point of view, if cleaning the plate is the plate umpire's responsibility, cleaning the bases would be the base umpire's responsibility. The difference is that the bags almost "never" need cleaning. Neither does the pitcher's rubber.
The point we agree on, Dave, is that no matter what the action, kicking off a base, cleaning this or that, it's about making the game better. It's about not being shamed to be off service to the game. And the kids who play it.

I have wartered fields, raked infields, put down and picked up bases. Sold fence advertising, worked after hours with players...I enjoyed doing this, it was no great self-sacrifice.

Last edited by fitump56; Wed Jul 18, 2007 at 10:53pm.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:46am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
It's one thing to kick the dirt off a base (I've done that myself) and quite another to have a brush and actually BRUSH the dirt off...I think we are in violent agreement on this one!!
What's the big deal. If a guy wants to brush off the bags, what's the big deal? Because t doesn't meet your standard of behavior?

Pffft on that.

Last edited by fitump56; Tue Jul 17, 2007 at 11:44pm.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
This should help clarify the issue.

If you Garth were doing a solo game and second base was the color of dirt and you could not see it from HP, what would you do?

2nd ?

If kicking it did not change it's color then what?
What Bob said. When I'm working the bases, I don't get my hands (or feet) dirty doing the work of a grounds crew. If there is no grounds crew, then the home team works the field.

If I really wanted a base cleaned (I'm not sure why, unless I was trying to appease some rat), I'd ask a fielder to do it. Why would you go out 127 feet between innings and do it yourself when you could say, "Hey, Meat, brush the bag off for me, wouldja?"

I know where the bases and rubber are. I don't need to see them to know where they are.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Jul 17, 2007 at 12:49am.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioref
Lets just agreee to disagree, I have worked with umpires that have worked "The Big Game" and have seen them brush,kick,dirt off the bases. Call me a Smitty if you want. I guess we are all Smittys ,even the guys who worked the big game. And Im sure you dont want to work with me since I'm poorly trainned. Hey Dad,do you think your going to get another state playoff game?This will only be 17 in a row. How many college/minor league games will you work? Blame my smitty dad I guess. Now let me go brush off this base.
Getting the big game is no measure of whether the umpire is a Smitty, depending on what area you live in.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Let me ask you proponents of cleaning off the rubber and the bases a question. If you perform this "maintenance" do you wear a maid's uniform? I think that a nice black French Maid's outfit with black stockings and a feather duster would fit the bill for you all! I never realized how many hot dog munching Smitties were on this board!

Unbelievable! Just unbelievable!
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Fit, let me sum this up for you. You are correct, cleaning bases or the rubber does not fit into what I consider my job as an umpire. Neither does field maintenance or repair. If I am working the bases, I do not possess a brush, so that eliminates that option.

In an earlier post I said (Paraphrased) "Do whatever you want", just don't be upset when others describe you as a Smitty.

I think we should change "smitty" to "fitty"...what does everyone else think?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I think we should change "smitty" to "fitty"...what does everyone else think?
I think that there are several, several posters in this thread that need to go and become members of eteamz.

The following are Facts:

(Some) Things taught at umpire school

(1) You shall not carry an indicator on the bases.

(2) You are an umpire and not a member of the grounds crew, thus you shall not clean the bases, replace the bases when they become loose or do any other field maintenance while being a base umpire. If, after a play, a base is truly located under a pile of dirt, you shall ask a player to kick the dirt away.

(3) You shall not touch the pitcher's mound. Pitchers and pitching coaches can (and do) become very mad if they perceive that you are messing with their pitcher in any manner. Leave all pitchers the F alone...unless they are arguing with you.

(4) You shall not tell the new pitcher the number of outs, or where the runners are located, etc. That is the job of the manager/pitching coach/catcher. Again, you shall stay away from the mound (see #3 above)
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I think that there are several, several posters in this thread that need to go and become members of eteamz.

The following are Facts:

(Some) Things taught at umpire school

(1) You shall not carry an indicator on the bases.

(2) You are an umpire and not a member of the grounds crew, thus you shall not clean the bases, replace the bases when they become loose or do any other field maintenance while being a base umpire. If, after a play, a base is truly located under a pile of dirt, you shall ask a player to kick the dirt away.

(3) You shall not touch the pitcher's mound. Pitchers and pitching coaches can (and do) become very mad if they perceive that you are messing with their pitcher in any manner. Leave all pitchers the F alone...unless they are arguing with you.

(4) You shall not tell the new pitcher the number of outs, or where the runners are located, etc. That is the job of the manager/pitching coach/catcher. Again, you shall stay away from the mound (see #3 above)
Very good points, but I would add in #4 unless he asks you.

Of course, I know you are talking about when they change pitchers but some of these guys based on their posts might not have understood that.

I do it the way Rich described, "hey you, clean the base" etc.,

The fielder's or the runner will do it and we play ball..

Thansk
David
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Very good points, but I would add in #4 unless he asks you.
I think law is talking about a report to a relief pitcher who has just come into the game.

Many of the guys in my association are Smitties (to some degree or other), and they seem to expect me to do this when I'm on the bases. Last week, a pretty good partner asked me, "Are you going to tell him the situation?" I replied: "Doesn't he have a coach?"

Partner gave him the Smitty report. [sigh]
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I'm talking about a relief pitcher.

If a relief pitcher asks me for the count (usually after his warm-ups, but before the first pitch) I will: (1) give it to him just as I would to any pitcher (from behind the catcher) if I'm the plate umpire or (2) tell him to ask my partner if I'm the base umpire.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Yes, I'm talking about a relief pitcher.

If a relief pitcher asks me for the count (usually after his warm-ups, but before the first pitch) I will: (1) give it to him just as I would to any pitcher (from behind the catcher) if I'm the plate umpire or (2) tell him to ask my partner if I'm the base umpire.
if im BU im not CLOSE ENOUGH for the relief Pitch to ask ME the count--im in shallow LF or RF minding my OWN BUSINESS until the PU is ready to RESUME the game.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

UmpLJ--here's hoping your caps lock key never quits working!
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was asked to officiate at our local LL district tournament finals. During the game U2 and U3 brushed off the bases with a plate brush (U3 stored his in his trusty ball bag). U3 also scraped off the pitching rubber between innings.

After the game I was lauded by the UIC for doing an excellent job (had alot of bangers at 1st), but he said my mechanics were poor. I asked him to elaborate.

I didn't yell out "Foul" on every foul ball, I did not loudly verbalize "Out" on routine outs at 1st. And I challenged the notion that three good sized adults should "buttonhook" into the middle of the infield on base hits to the outfield.

Damn, all that money wasted at Evans and Gerry Davis clinics. I wonder if I can get my money back. :
We recently had a thread about a TD wanting umpires to "hang around" after the game in case there was a possible appeal play.

The point is: In Rome do as the Romans

In the aforementioned no matter how rediculous it might seem is the protocol for that league then as TEE mentioned in the other thread you basically have 2 choices

1. Do the game the way the league wants you to OR
2. Refuse the game

Same with the indicator. In MY HS association they WANT the BU to carry an indicator on the field. Other associations frown on it.

In a nutshell, each organization around the country has their own nuances and if you want work, you will abide.

If these umpires "took it upon themselves" (meaning no pre-arranged protocol, etc.) then I agree with the term "Smitty" for this kind of umpire.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
This should help clarify the issue.

If you Garth were doing a solo game and second base was the color of dirt and you could not see it from HP, what would you do?

2nd ?

If kicking it did not change it's color then what?
That must be an interesting sight...... the plate umpire calls "Time", and
runs across the field to sweep off second base. What a remarkable visual
that must be !
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

This is funny to me. My dad has not been to 17 state games,he is not even a official in any sport. I just threw that one out for reaction. But what really surprises me is if something doesnt meet your standard or if you dont agree with what is being done its wrong. Jim Evans didnt teach us that ect..., I know some of us take officiating very seriously and would like to take it to the next level. Would I clean the bases while working at a higher level? Probably not. A earlier poster said show me in any umpire manuel/rules book that says base umpire must keep the bases clean. True it doesnt say its required,but at the same time it doesnt say never do it. I dont have a MLB umpires manuel, but Im sure it doesnt say base umpire shouldnver have an indicator on the field. This is food for thought you do the dishes. An to the comment about the french maid outfit, I do wear proper umpire attire on the field. But your wife can come and pick her outfit anytime she wants to. She is great.

Last edited by NEohioref; Tue Jul 17, 2007 at 10:45am.