The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Finally!

Called my first game of the season yesterday afternoon. HS game. 10th grade team, but hey, I was on the ball field! Besides, since this is my first year officially registered for HS ball, I'm willing to "pay my dues" before varsity assignments come my way. (Been "pure" ASA up until this year, with just a season of Jr Hi games 2 years ago as a favor to the local school.) ASA doesn't start for another 5 weeks or so.

Nice warm & sunny afternoon, just a bit windy. A well played game - finished in 6 1/2 innings, 3-2 final score with the final out on the visitors having already scored 1 run in the 7th and with runners on 2nd and 3rd - ended in a strike out. Took about 1:20.

The only remotely unusual call was a nice dribbler of a bunt that just barely moved in front of the plate, batter dropped the bat right in front of the plate and hit the ball. I ruled batter out, since the "drop" seemed to me to be intentionally placed.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
The only remotely unusual call was a nice dribbler of a bunt that just barely moved in front of the plate, batter dropped the bat right in front of the plate and hit the ball. I ruled batter out, since the "drop" seemed to me to be intentionally placed.
Dakota,
The "bit windy" was just put there to keep you humble.
Dunno, if I'll ever get an outdoor game.

Of course, I didn't see the bat dropped, but it seems to me that since the drop only seemed to be intentionally placed, that may have been quite a tough decision that you had to make in 0.2 seconds.
mick
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Have my first game of the year in about three hours. It is a HS VAR scrimmage. It is a balmy 49 degrees with 9-10 MPH winds. Like you say though, at least I can get out on the field and start calling.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

We have been working since late Feb.

Anyway, since we don't call HS ball, what is the difference in rules about the "Bat Hitting the ball"? The NCAA rulebook(11-15),

In/Out of box - Bat out of hands - Bat hits Fair Ball - Out
In/Out of Box - Bat out of hands - Ball hits Bat during a fair ball - Live Ball

I don't have a ASA book handy but am curious about that one as well.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Finally!
Called my first game of the season yesterday afternoon.
That is sort of funny because I called my last game of the HS season Tuesday. Playoffs start this weekend but I doubt very seriously that I will get any because there are too many others in our Assn with many years seniority on me but at least I still lave the Private schools who are playing Slow Pitch for a while longer and then ASA starts 1st of May.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
We have been working since late Feb.

Anyway, since we don't call HS ball, what is the difference in rules about the "Bat Hitting the ball"? The NCAA rulebook(11-15),

In/Out of box - Bat out of hands - Bat hits Fair Ball - Out
In/Out of Box - Bat out of hands - Ball hits Bat during a fair ball - Live Ball

I don't have a ASA book handy but am curious about that one as well.
The NFHS rule is different. It says...
Quote:
Rule 7-4 Art. 1 A batter shall be called out when:
k. after hitting or bunting a ball, she intentionally hits the ball a second time in fair or foul territory; the ball is dead, no runner(s) advance and the batter is out.
EXCEPTION: If the bat and ball accidentally come in contact with each other a second time while the batter is holding the bat in the batter's box, it is a foul ball.
NOTE: In the case ofintentional contact with a foul ball, it must have a chance to become fair in the umpire's judgment.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Actually had a 7 inning freshman game finish in 100 minutes yesterday, in spite of only 1 good pitcher, many substitutions, and working solo. No inning limits were reached and only three base calls were close. Of course, three fly ball "double-ups" helped.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rulebook also addresses this

Fair or Foul ball Bat hits ball Intentionally - Batter is out.

I understand you ruled that the drop was intentional. No problem....but what is the ruling if the it was NOT intentional but the bat still hit the ball?
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

If a bat is dropped or thrown in a direction where it can hit the ball I will call that intentional.

WMB
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
The NCAA rulebook also addresses this

Fair or Foul ball Bat hits ball Intentionally - Batter is out.

I understand you ruled that the drop was intentional. No problem....but what is the ruling if the it was NOT intentional but the bat still hit the ball?
kellerumps,
Without intention that ball has to be live, that is our only alternative choice.

I have to see, and believe, the intention.
For example, dropping a bat 24" in front of the plate,
having the ball hit the bat, and stopping the ball "for the catcher", would not seem intentional to me.
Whereas, dropping the bat between the catcher and the 12" bunt, with bat and ball contact, may well seem intentional.

In the original case, the batter dropped the bat on the ball creating a potential hazard/distraction for the catcher. Fine! Let's make the batter go away, for ignorance if for nothing else. All runners go back.
mick
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota started the thread speaking of Jr. High ball (JV to me) as a place to "pay dues". I agree that overall Varsity has the best action but to tell you the truth I love JV ball. You see tomorrows' stars and the attitude hasn't kicked in yet. I do them both and kind of enjoy the last glimpse of innocence (if you will) before these girls hit the big time.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

For a bat hitting a batted ball you can also invoke Fed 7-3-6
"...If a whole bat is thrown and interferes with a defensive player attempting a play, interference shall be called."

No intention is required. You can even declare 2 outs if it prevented a double play.

Roger Greene
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Did you have another game on the 8th Tom?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Yep, if the ball hits the bat, it's a live ball. If the bat hits the ball, it's a dead ball, batter's out. Now, if you see the bater chunk the bat at the ball and it stops, then the ball rolls into it, I'm still calling dead ball. To me, that's clear enough for me to call it intentional.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Originally posted by Roger Greene:

__________________________________________________ _________
"...If a whole bat is thrown and interferes with a defensive player attempting a play, interference shall be called."
__________________________________________________ _________

Just wondering, do you see many "not whole" bats up North? Down here, they just dent from the heat, after about the middle of February. Just curious.