The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

At lower levels, particularly with a pitcher that steps onto the pitcher's plate from the front, I will kick the dirt off of the pitcher's plate. I have never had reason to do this at the high school level.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Guys, it's NO big deal!! If you want to clean the bases, clean the bases. Just don't get upset when we call you a Smitty!!

I don't carry a brush with me on the bases. I know that the rubber is on top of that little hill in the middle of the field. I know where the bases are, even if they are dirty. If a base comes loose, I DO NOT replace it!!! That is the team/coach/grounds crew's job, not mine. I don't kneel in the dirt and dig out the base post, never, never ,never in a million years would I do that!!

Do so if you wish.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 01:27pm
rei

After a steal to second, and when the successful stealing runner asks for time to brush himself off, or maybe he was slightly injured on the steal, if 2nd base is covered in a thick pile of dirt, I will kick a little off, usually just the dirt in the base path though.

Some of these older kids have weird ego's which prevents them from taking a few moments to collect themselves and this is a good way to give them a few moments to do so and make it look like I am doing something constructive. Call me a "smitty" if you will, but I have never had a college evaluator ever say a word about it.

A brush out on the bases? Oh my!!!
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
It's one thing to kick the dirt off a base (I've done that myself) and quite another to have a brush and actually BRUSH the dirt off...I think we are in violent agreement on this one!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 01:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
After a steal to second, and when the successful stealing runner asks for time to brush himself off, or maybe he was slightly injured on the steal, if 2nd base is covered in a thick pile of dirt, I will kick a little off, usually just the dirt in the base path though.

Some of these older kids have weird ego's which prevents them from taking a few moments to collect themselves and this is a good way to give them a few moments to do so and make it look like I am doing something constructive. Call me a "smitty" if you will, but I have never had a college evaluator ever say a word about it.

A brush out on the bases? Oh my!!!
Nobody would ever call you a Smitty over this. I would think we all kick dirt off a base to give a runner a minute.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Do you realize how dumb that sounds? It is not just umpires that have these standards, it is the coaches. If you do things that make you stand out or look like you do not know what you are doing, they will try you more.
I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I'll ask:
Are you saying that if you brush off a base you look like you don't know what you're doing?
the question is to you and the others who seemingly have the same opinion.

I had a 15 yr travel game the other night, solo, R2. Pickoff F1 to F6.
there was zero color differentiation between base and dirt, between the bodies and being 120' away I couldn't even see the bump.
Makes it real difficult to make an accurate call.

Betwwen innings I walked out kicked the bag and when I still couldn't see white I pulled out my brush.
IMO, anyone who thinks that is unprofessional has a warped sense of professionalism.
I'd say ability to see base is right up there with angle and distance.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Again,

Don just another example of how we see the game and umpiring from two widely divergent views.

Psst, I'll stick with mine,

You don't dust off bases or the pitcher's plate.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 05:59pm.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Are you saying that if you brush off a base you look like you don't know what you're doing?
To experienced coaches and trained umpires, yes.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Are you saying that if you brush off a base you look like you don't know what you're doing? The question is to you and the others who seemingly have the same opinion.

there was zero color differentiation between base and dirt, between the bodies and being 120' away I couldn't even see the bump.

Betwwen innings I walked out kicked the bag and when I still couldn't see white I pulled out my brush.
IMO, anyone who thinks that is unprofessional has a warped sense of professionalism.
Here is the problem; you and others are trying to oversimplify this discussion. You do not see a Major League Umpire or a D1 umpire brush off the bag with a plate brush. Now it is called a plate brush for a reason. The very same reason you do not see basketball officials wear a collared shirt either. If you do it either means you are not very well trained or you are not a very knowledgeable as an umpire or official. Now you can think whatever you like. But whether you like it or not, when someone is trying to decide to give someone a big game or move up in a level, they will use things like what I just told you as part of the discussion. Because if you bring out a plate brush to wipe off the a base, chances area you are doing other things that are not considered professional. Also someone might scrutinize you much harsher as well. I have yet to find anyone that teaches this. I did this for about 2 games and I was told to stop. I did not question the person, but they told me it looked bad and made me seem like a rookie and I have not done this since. This is no different than wearing a ball bag on the bases as well.

You do not have to agree. But I will also not be making decisions about your career or your umpiring opportunities. I do not see a big deal going to an interview without a tie or chewing gum, but the person that is doing the interview just might.

Also keep in mind you said you were working a 15 year old travel tournament. That level does not have the same expectation of umpire professionalism as working a HS varsity game or a college and pro game.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 05:09pm.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and when I still couldn't see white I pulled out my brush.
WOW, if id been a RAT there and saw THAT, id have been ALL OVER you next opp because RIGHT away i know Ive got "fresh fish" on the field

RUTLEDGE is RIGHT. GO AHEAD, wear a ballcap backward when you go for that BIG INTERVIEW...its your RIGHT

and you WONT get the JOB so you can MOAN all the way HOME about how life is UNFAIR.

Mr MULLER make sure on your GAME CHECKS they spell "CHARLIE" correct, ok?
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

to
Tim, Rut, Garth and Larry

I understand that none of you would lower yourself to clean off a bag, but none of you spoke to the issue that prompted the cleaning.
Do you prefer making calls at 120' to a bag you can see or approximating where it might be based on player location?
Personally I prefer seeing the bag before making a call
Was it one of the old SNL comedians that said "It's better to look good then feel good"?
You guys have gone one better 'It's better to look good then get the call right'
I'd rather be a 'smitty' and get the call right then be... well be like you and be guessing
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!

Don step away from the table . . . take a breath.

"Do you prefer making calls at 120' to a bag . . . "

Not sure how that could happen since I would never accept an assignment of a one man game.

"Personally I prefer seeing the bag before making a call . . . "

Don I would suggest that maybe the problem lies with you if you can't see the bases on a field. I have never seen an umpire EVER have that problem.

" . . . well be like you and be guessing . . . "

I have no idea what you mean with this statement but I would bet that none of those you have named "guess at calls."

Here's an idea:

Form a four man crew with Steven Tyler, PWL and fitump56 and the two of you can umpire anyway you want.

Regards,
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
the question is to you and the others who seemingly have the same opinion.

Don,

I just want to let you know that the bag could be brand new and glaring white and you're still going to have to make your best guess on a pickoff play or steal of second if you're making the call from behind the dish. There's no way you can accurately see the bag from there.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 06:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Form a four man crew with Steven Tyler, PWL and fitump56 and the two of you can umpire anyway you want.
Again, as funny as it appears on the surface, Tyler/PWL is not fitump56. They are truly two different people, hard as that is to fathom.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Again, as funny as it appears on the surface, Tyler/PWL is not fitump56. They are truly two different people, hard as that is to fathom.
Oh, I don't know about that. I'd say on any given day they may be as many as 8 different people.

Tim.