View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I think that there are several, several posters in this thread that need to go and become members of eteamz.

The following are Facts:

(Some) Things taught at umpire school

(1) You shall not carry an indicator on the bases.

(2) You are an umpire and not a member of the grounds crew, thus you shall not clean the bases, replace the bases when they become loose or do any other field maintenance while being a base umpire. If, after a play, a base is truly located under a pile of dirt, you shall ask a player to kick the dirt away.

(3) You shall not touch the pitcher's mound. Pitchers and pitching coaches can (and do) become very mad if they perceive that you are messing with their pitcher in any manner. Leave all pitchers the F alone...unless they are arguing with you.

(4) You shall not tell the new pitcher the number of outs, or where the runners are located, etc. That is the job of the manager/pitching coach/catcher. Again, you shall stay away from the mound (see #3 above)
Very good points, but I would add in #4 unless he asks you.

Of course, I know you are talking about when they change pitchers but some of these guys based on their posts might not have understood that.

I do it the way Rich described, "hey you, clean the base" etc.,

The fielder's or the runner will do it and we play ball..

Thansk
David