View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was asked to officiate at our local LL district tournament finals. During the game U2 and U3 brushed off the bases with a plate brush (U3 stored his in his trusty ball bag). U3 also scraped off the pitching rubber between innings.

After the game I was lauded by the UIC for doing an excellent job (had alot of bangers at 1st), but he said my mechanics were poor. I asked him to elaborate.

I didn't yell out "Foul" on every foul ball, I did not loudly verbalize "Out" on routine outs at 1st. And I challenged the notion that three good sized adults should "buttonhook" into the middle of the infield on base hits to the outfield.

Damn, all that money wasted at Evans and Gerry Davis clinics. I wonder if I can get my money back. :
We recently had a thread about a TD wanting umpires to "hang around" after the game in case there was a possible appeal play.

The point is: In Rome do as the Romans

In the aforementioned no matter how rediculous it might seem is the protocol for that league then as TEE mentioned in the other thread you basically have 2 choices

1. Do the game the way the league wants you to OR
2. Refuse the game

Same with the indicator. In MY HS association they WANT the BU to carry an indicator on the field. Other associations frown on it.

In a nutshell, each organization around the country has their own nuances and if you want work, you will abide.

If these umpires "took it upon themselves" (meaning no pre-arranged protocol, etc.) then I agree with the term "Smitty" for this kind of umpire.

Pete Booth