The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Balk on an appeal

Batter hits the ball to left, misses first base and proceeds to slide in safely at second. He asks for time. The defensive manager tells the pitcher to appeal. He steps on the rubber, in the set position. I put the ball back in play and my partner yells, "That's a balk!" The coach was upset that a balk was called and went balistic when they lost the opportunity to appeal.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, and? ..............
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Yes, and? ..............
Interesting! Never seen it! Shows the coaches don't understand the rules!
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

FED or OBR? If FED coach should have just asked for appeal which is allowed with a dead ball.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
Batter hits the ball to left, misses first base and proceeds to slide in safely at second. He asks for time. The defensive manager tells the pitcher to appeal. He steps on the rubber, in the set position. I put the ball back in play and my partner yells, "That's a balk!" The coach was upset that a balk was called and went balistic when they lost the opportunity to appeal.
I'm wondering why a balk was called here.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
FED or OBR? If FED coach should have just asked for appeal which is allowed with a dead ball.
FED rules. The coach instructed his pitcher to step off and throw over, when the ball became live. He never asked the BU directly to appeal the play.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I'm wondering why a balk was called here.

Tim.
Tim,

When I spoke to the BU, he said he balked him because he stepped onto the rubber with his hands in the set position (the main reason I posted this was because when the pitcher did this, the ball was dead). When I put the ball in play, he cited the fact that the pitcher must come set on the rubber. He was watching this closely, because as soon as I pointed to put the ball in play, he called out, "that's a balk!" Like I said, I have never seen this before!
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't a good call then. He shouldn't have been balked for stepping to the rubber with his hands together, you know that already because the ball was dead at the time. And he shouldn't have been balked for not coming set. He was set when you put the ball back in play.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
It wasn't a good call then. He shouldn't have been balked for stepping to the rubber with his hands together, you know that already because the ball was dead at the time. And he shouldn't have been balked for not coming set. He was set when you put the ball back in play.

Tim.
When I spoke to BU after the game, he explained to me that he did not balk him for stepping onto the rubber, in the set position, when the ball was dead. He insisted that because the rule states the pitcher must come set on the rubber it was a balk as soon as the ball became live.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I spoke to BU after the game, he explained to me that he did not balk him for stepping onto the rubber, in the set position, when the ball was dead. He insisted that because the rule states the pitcher must come set on the rubber it was a balk as soon as the ball became live.
I still don't care for the call. If your partner was going to be a stickler and insist that the pitcher start with his hand at his side, etc., he shouldn't have balked the pitcher as soon as you put the ball back in play.

Tim.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I don't like the reasoning behind the balk call either. The BU already had it in his mind that he was going to balk this pitcher before you put the ball in play. He could have done some preventative officiating and told the pitcher to step off and reset.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You stated FED rules, right? Now, what position did he take the rubber with, windup or stretch? Reason being, if he took the windup, he is allowed to have his hands together and remain that way throughout!

Regards
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just becaues he "insisted" doesn't make him right.

He was wrong.

And, any coach saying "step off and throw to first" is enough to make an appeal "obvious" in my book. And, I'm likely to say "Time" (if the ball isn't already dead), "What are you trying to do" and when the coach responds rule on the appeal.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
You stated FED rules, right? Now, what position did he take the rubber with, windup or stretch? Reason being, if he took the windup, he is allowed to have his hands together and remain that way throughout!

Regards
Great point Ozzy! Although the runner was on, he took the rubber from the stretch position to appeal. The pitcher wasn't sure about the entire appeal process and the coach did not directly ask BU for an appeal. We've been told by our assignor not to coach a player or coach through the appeal process.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Just becaues he "insisted" doesn't make him right.

He was wrong.

And, any coach saying "step off and throw to first" is enough to make an appeal "obvious" in my book. And, I'm likely to say "Time" (if the ball isn't already dead), "What are you trying to do" and when the coach responds rule on the appeal.
Bob, I don't disagree with you! We've been asked by our assignor not to coach a player or coach through the appeal process. The coach was coaching his pitcher as to how to appeal the play. BU informed the coach in between innings that he could have asked him directly for an appeal.