The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I almost survived three complete seasons w/o assessing a T. I attribute that to good game/people management. My streak is over now, thanks to last nights G 8th grade tourney.

I had to T coach who went bananas after I whistled a time out for his opponent. He had a right to make a point, considering that right when I notice it is White with the ball and White coach requesting TO, an errant pass as a blow the whistle (just before?) gives Red the ball at half court with an easy layup coming.

After my explanation and awarding of the TO, I had to whack red coach. I guess he was hoping fo rthat, considering he said "Thank You!" when he got the T. I let him ramble for about 30 secs, and when I realized it was not going to stop, I hit him up.

All this came after quite a bit of chirping during a rough game, with a rough crowd. Fortunately, it calmed down in the 4th Q when the outcome was pretty clear and we REALLY tightened up the foul calls to keep things from getting violent.

I'm hoping for another 3 yrs T free, but if it doesn't work out, I'll not sweat it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I'll never understand how 8th grade girls can be characterized as rough or violent.

Sounds like you kicked the call, allowed the coach some chewing, but he went over the top and left you no choice on the T.

In those situations, I try to say something quick to the coach and then get the heck away. That usually prevents the T after the crew boots one.

Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
I'm hoping for another 3 yrs T free, but if it doesn't work out, I'll not sweat it.
I'm hoping for three years without a traveling call, but if it doesn't work out, I'll not sweat it either. While I acknowledge that many T situations are accompanied by factors that make it difficult to say that it is "just another call," I also agree with officials who say that we have to try to treat it that way.

A three-year "streak" is either a lot of excellent fortune or you might have needed to break the streak a little earlier. Don't worry about streaks. Each game, make the calls that are needed in *that* game. (And forgive yourself when you, as we all do, miss 'em!)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:44am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

It doesn't sound like you kicked it at all.

Good call!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

when was it requested

As long as the TO was requested with White in solid possesion of the ball then the actual granting can come a little late....Have you ever had your whistle out of your mouth, for example to warn a player to clear the lane, or talk to the post players about rough play, and a travel happens, you take the time to put your whistle in your mouth and make the call, yes it is late, but it is the correct call. Your whistle being out of your mouth doesn't negate the call in either situation.....you did fine..
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:52am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
I had to T coach who went bananas after I whistled a time out for his opponent. He had a right to make a point, considering that right when I notice it is White with the ball and White coach requesting TO, an errant pass as a blow the whistle (just before?) gives Red the ball at half court with an easy layup coming.
Sounds like a good call Hartsy.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Those quick time out requests are a pain - particularily in the scrum of a lower level game during playoff's.

Never hurts to remind the coach's that a TO is a request and you have about three steps to complete:
1) hear the request,
2) validate team control,
3) Whistle the play dead.

As well I've noticed a reduction in the use of a "visual" signal. I am amazed at how many words, names, chants, play calls, phrases sound like "time" in a loud gym. Don't be afraid to remind coach's "its loud out on the floor coach. Help me with making a visual signal please".

This is good game management and a chance to talk productivly with a coach. I think they appreciate it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

A little off topic, but....there's a very good, experienced official in my area. Recently a good friend worked with him. A coach jumped up off the bench on a close call (our varsity boys coaches have to sit) to complain. The official instantly turns and grants him a time out. The coach says he didn't ask for a time out, to which the official responds, "you were up off the bench so you're either trying to call a time out, or you must want a T." The coach took the time out and they moved on without any more complaints from the coach. Nothing I would ever do, but pretty funny I thought.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 02:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
A little off topic, but....there's a very good, experienced official in my area. Recently a good friend worked with him. A coach jumped up off the bench on a close call (our varsity boys coaches have to sit) to complain. The official instantly turns and grants him a time out. The coach says he didn't ask for a time out, to which the official responds, "you were up off the bench so you're either trying to call a time out, or you must want a T." The coach took the time out and they moved on without any more complaints from the coach. Nothing I would ever do, but pretty funny I thought.
NICE! That one is stored away for a rainy day.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Never hurts to remind the coach's that a TO is a request and you have about three steps to complete:
1) hear the request,
2) validate team control,
3) Whistle the play dead.

RefDaddy, I think you'll agree with me, sometimes there's four steps, sometimes you not only have to hear, but see, the request, if you have your back to the coach and want to satisfy yourself that it truly is the coach (and not some fan/parent) who is asking for the time out.

In my opinion, I think the only thing worse than not granting a time out validly requested is to grant an unwarranted time out.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Post Slow T?

I used to pride myself on being slow to give the technical. I put up with a lot of guff for a few years. When I learned how to use it as a game management tool, which is there for a reason, I look at it as a necessary part of the game. It's not a call like other calls, which is why guys like to talk about it. Few people put posts on this board saying, "Let me tell you about the illegal dribble I called tonight!" But it does have its time and place, and I feel that I am a better official for using it judiciously when needed. I used to think I was a better official for NOT using it. I was wrong.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:21pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I'll never understand how 8th grade girls can be characterized as rough or violent.
I've seen a very physical 8th grade girls game before. If there had been a second official at the game, we probably would have a ton of T's for excessive swinging of the elbows that got missed by the lone official. (this was before the rule changed from a T to a violation).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball