View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:39am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed
I watched a good, non-Smitty umpire kick dirt off second base yesterday. Actually I'd like to think even those who would "never" do field maintenence would have made an exception in this case. Here in sunny California, we need to water the infields to keep them in playable condition, and a broken water main had left the area around second with 2 or 3 inches of dust. Umpires and fielders could see the base, but baserunners coming at high speed had difficulty in picking up the base. I suppose BU could have stopped the game and called in the field crew to clean the base, he wasn't too proud to take care of it himself. The defense sure wasn't going to do it!

From my point of view, if cleaning the plate is the plate umpire's responsibility, cleaning the bases would be the base umpire's responsibility. The difference is that the bags almost "never" need cleaning. Neither does the pitcher's rubber.
The point we agree on, Dave, is that no matter what the action, kicking off a base, cleaning this or that, it's about making the game better. It's about not being shamed to be off service to the game. And the kids who play it.

I have wartered fields, raked infields, put down and picked up bases. Sold fence advertising, worked after hours with players...I enjoyed doing this, it was no great self-sacrifice.

Last edited by fitump56; Wed Jul 18, 2007 at 10:53pm.