Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
I use full time out as a terminology because 30 and 60 sound similar, where as 30 and full are quite distinct from one another. Less confusion.
This is of course when the coach asks for a TO and I need to get a response on whether he would like "a full" or "a 30"
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 05:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Shortest Pre-Game For Me Ever

My R was quick tonight.

"Ladies, introduce yourselves."

"Speaking Captains?"

"Good luck and have fun."

15 secs, tops.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 07:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

So, Does It Really Make A Difference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was raised in a place where adults were adults and children were children.
For years, my ex-wife used to hassle me about calling my best friend's parents, "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", rather than, "Bob" and, "Marge". I'm as "old school" as they come when it comes to manners, and being polite, and respectful.

However, for over thirty-one years, I have been introducing myself to captains as, "Billy Mac". In literally thousands of games, I have never had a player address me as either, "Billy", or, "Mr. Mac". Never. Ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 21, 2011 at 07:29am.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For years, my ex-wife used to hassle me about calling my best friend's parents, "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", rather than, "Bob" and, "Marge". I'm as "old school" as they come when it comes to manners, and being polite, and respectful.

However, for over thirty-one years, I have been introducing myself to captains as, "Billy Mac". In literally thousands of games, I have never had a player address me as either, "Billy", or, "Mr. Mac". Never. Ever.
It does not really matter to what you say in the introduction, but I want to make it clear I am not their peer. I save the first name to people I meet socially. I am not talking to players and even coaches in this situation socially. And it is not unusual to meet up with coaches socially in many situations in my experience. Even when you know a coach I still introduce myself as if we have never met before a game.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
I like to be referred by my first name as I'm not big on titles. I also refer to coaches by their first name but I may be in the minority on doing that in my area. I even look them up prior to the game if I don't know them.

It's what works for me, do what works for you...
Me too. I'm not big on titles and even thought I introduce myself by my first name to players before the game, I don't think I have ever had one call me by the during the game. They forget by the time the game starts anyway.

Quote:
Well then I will be on a high horse then. I was raised in a place where adults were adults and children were children. Sorry if you like your kids talking to you any kind of way and the only way they can show respect is not to curse at you. That was not acceptable in my world. No wonder kids do the things they do today. You want to be their friend rather than being the one responsible for them or the authority figure.

Peace
This post sounds like some old crank saying "Get off my lawn!".
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 08:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Me too. I'm not big on titles and even thought I introduce myself by my first name to players before the game, I don't think I have ever had one call me by the during the game. They forget by the time the game starts anyway.

This post sounds like some old crank saying "Get off my lawn!".

It can sound any way you like. But when I played ball and sports and if I even thought to act like these kids do today, my parents would have went out on the court and pulled me off the court themselves. Then my coach would have ran the crap out of us for doing these things. I could not even think to speak to an official let alone question anything they did. As I said before, on wonder kids act the way they do, we have adults that are too worried about being liked by them.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As I said before, on wonder kids act the way they do, we have adults that are too worried about being liked by them.

Peace
Not that you care, but this is perhaps the most insightful thing I've ever read from you.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not that you care, but this is perhaps the most insightful thing I've ever read from you.
Really don't care.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Back off on Rut. Not that he needs my help. He said before its a cultural thing. Let it go at that. In the south and in African American circles, Mr. and Mrs. is used as a sign of respect. I grew up in a racially mixed neighborhood. Even when we were very close, I still called my elders Mr. Al or Miss Bessie. It was just a sign of respect.

Personally, I always introduce myself with my first name. I have never been addressed during the game as anything other than "Ref" or "Sir". Well, not counting moron, stripes, idiot, et. al. by fans.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

To me, it's amazing how some people can get so worked up over what, to me, is window dressing (Rich vs. Mr. MyLastName) and yet don't think a 12-year old saying "You suck" to an official (see the other thread) warrants a flagrant technical foul.

I'd rather be called Rich and have genuine respect shown me than be called Mr. Anything and not have genuine respect for me or my position. Keep the window dressing. Call me anything you like as long as you treat me appropriately when something doesn't go your way.

And to me, that's one of the things wrong today -- too few coaches willing to tell a player, "That behavior is unacceptable, you're done for the day" when a kid gets whacked for behavior. Instead, the coach wants to argue the technical foul and tell the kid (out of earshot) that he did nothing wrong. Of course, that's where the kids get this behavior from -- either the coach models this behavior or doesn't step on it when his players exhibit those behaviors.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone is really worked up over this.

As you said, it's window dressing. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter because kids should not, and in my case have NEVER, addressed me by my first OR last name during a game.

It's a personal preference for a captain's meeting intro that last no more than 30 seconds.

But Rich, you're the one who sort of made it an issue by saying you get a kick out of other officials who prefer to introduce themselves as "Mr." and then you step in using your first name as if it somehow makes you more approachable or less stuffy or whatever it is you think it does.

Again, to me it does not matter as no player is addressing by either. Sometimes I use my first name, but increasingly I just shake hands and do a generic greeting without my name.

As a former teacher and director of youth camps and rec programs, I do see where Rut is coming from though. Kids are absolutely more disrespectful today than they were when I was in high school in the mid 90s, and I'm sure we were more disrespectful then kids growing up in years prior. And a big reason for that is parents and adults who are more concerned about being liked and being their friends than they are about being a parent/adult and setting proper boundaries.

I don't think using your first name at a captain's meeting is part of that problem but I also see absolutely nothing wrong with adults who introduce themselves to teenagers with a "Mr. or Mrs." in any setting, including a captain's meeting.

Last edited by VaTerp; Wed Dec 21, 2011 at 11:02am.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Never say never. Earlier this year during a dead ball substitute wait, I told a captain who was inbounding "I like the way you play Megan, you play hard all the time." Her response, "Thank you.........thank you Mark"

First time ever and it made my night on an otherwise crappy night.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never say never. Earlier this year during a dead ball substitute wait, I told a captain who was inbounding "I like the way you play Megan, you play hard all the time." Her response, "Thank you.........thank you Mark"

Thank you for contributing to the downfall of America's youth. smh...

Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
But Rich, you're the one who sort of made it an issue by saying you get a kick out of other officials who prefer to introduce themselves as "Mr." and then you step in using your first name as if it somehow makes you more approachable or less stuffy or whatever it is you think it does.
I love Rich, but this I totally agree with you on this one. Rich started the "I am Rich" thing.

For the record I will say again, I always say my full name to captains and coaches. They are not allowed to call me by my first name in this setting.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I always address players by their number, even when I have known them from coaching AAU, or other circles.

Cool exchange though. The problem would be when you get the smart azz kid who uses your name in a disrespectful manner. To this point I've never seen it happen in a scholastic game but have during high school rec leagues.

My experience with those leagues has not been great as I have run into a lot of spoiled, entitled, little punks who think they can say and do whatever they want. I would never give those kids my first name and during those capt's meetings simply say we are your officials today.
Closed Thread