The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You got me. I think it's stuffy and idiotic. I was being polite.

I've never had a kid use my first name and don't expect to. I wouldn't care if they did, though.

I prefer they respect the shirt by acting the right way on the court. This stuff is just window dressing.
Guess I work with a lot of idiotic and stuffy people...who spend 6 out of every 24 months in the Middle East and Southwest Asia or who were raised by stuffy and idiotic parents and grand-parents.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Guess I work with a lot of idiotic and stuffy people...who spend 6 out of every 24 months in the Middle East and Southwest Asia or who were raised by stuffy and idiotic parents and grand-parents.
Great 5000 post.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I love Rich, but this I totally agree with you on this one. Rich started the "I am Rich" thing.

For the record I will say again, I always say my full name to captains and coaches. They are not allowed to call me by my first name in this setting.

Peace
I have done just first name to captains in some cases to be consistent with my partners. To me it does sound a little off to have some officials use their first name and some "Mr. or Mrs."

I think I will go the full name route from now on as I do with coaches. The other week I did a Montrose Christian game where their star player introduced himself by his full name, "Justin Anderson." First time I think I've heard a player do so.

I kinda laughed and thought to myself, "I know your name, you stiffed my alma mater by decommitting and signing with UVA."
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
But Rich, you're the one who sort of made it an issue by saying you get a kick out of other officials who prefer to introduce themselves as "Mr." and then you step in using your first name as if it somehow makes you more approachable or less stuffy or whatever it is you think it does.

Exactly. He was the first one to make a big deal about it. Basically saying (and has for years in when this subject has come up) that anybody who doesn't introduce themselves to the kids by their first name is an a$$-hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
...I think I will go the full name route from now on as I do with coaches. The other week I did a Montrose Christian game where their star player introduced himself by his full name, "Justin Anderson." First time I think I've heard a player do so.

I kinda laughed and thought to myself, "I know your name, you stiffed my alma mater by decommitting and signing with UVA..."
I've officiated many of his AAU games. One of the nicest kids I've ever encountered in officiating.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 21, 2011 at 11:47am.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:47am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
"Hello, I am Ref, and this is Ump1 & Ump2."
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me, it's amazing how some people can get so worked up over what, to me, is window dressing (Rich vs. Mr. MyLastName) and yet don't think a 12-year old saying "You suck" to an official (see the other thread) warrants a flagrant technical foul.

I'd rather be called Rich and have genuine respect shown me than be called Mr. Anything and not have genuine respect for me or my position. Keep the window dressing. Call me anything you like as long as you treat me appropriately when something doesn't go your way.

And to me, that's one of the things wrong today -- too few coaches willing to tell a player, "That behavior is unacceptable, you're done for the day" when a kid gets whacked for behavior. Instead, the coach wants to argue the technical foul and tell the kid (out of earshot) that he did nothing wrong. Of course, that's where the kids get this behavior from -- either the coach models this behavior or doesn't step on it when his players exhibit those behaviors.
I agree with this whole post....

As for the bolded part, it is refreshing to see when a coach does put his foot down when a player gets silly. I whacked a JVB player in a tournament a few weeks ago for popping off, and his coach yanked him for a few minutes. He didn't sit him for the rest of the game, but he made it known he wasn't pleased with him. He didn't question me about it or anything.

Quote:
I love Rich, but this I totally agree with you on this one. Rich started the "I am Rich" thing.

For the record I will say again, I always say my full name to captains and coaches. They are not allowed to call me by my first name in this setting.

Peace
You don't let coaches call you by your first name during the game? What do you do if they call you by that? Ask them to stop?

In college baseball (And professional for that matter), umpires and coaches/managers use first names. I work college games, so it kind of carries over to basketball for me.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:58am
TODO: creative title here

During the coaches meeting, I introduce myself by my first name.

However, I never address players/coaches by their first names, for two reasons:

1) I'm terrible with remembering names, to the point that when coaches introduce themselves they might as well say "Hi, my name is Blah", because I'll have forgotten their name BEFORE THEY FINISH THE SENTENCE.

2) Our association clinician feels that it's best to always address coaches as "Coach" and players by their number. Even if this weren't the clinician's opinion, I'd still do it anyway (see point #1).
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
In college baseball (And professional for that matter), umpires and coaches/managers use first names. I work college games, so it kind of carries over to basketball for me.
I don't care if the coaches call me by my first name or not. It's been my experience though that I only get called by first name by coaches who want my attention so they can whine all game.

Whether they call me by first name or 'blue' or 'ref' or 'Mr. Ref' I still call them 'coach'.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You don't let coaches call you by your first name during the game? What do you do if they call you by that? Ask them to stop?
We are talking about players; we are not talking about coaches. But if you need that to be understood, yes coaches can call me by my first name as that is about the only way to identify each official. Coaches often do say, "Ref" or "Sir" many times as well. And they are adults in every case when I work as well. Then again I still do not refer to them by their first name. I did say this previously in the thread as well.

Quote:
Maybe that is where you are, but actually that is not always the case or in the case where I am or with most that I have worked with. I work college in all of my 3 sports which includes baseball and I almost never refer to a coach by their first name. The only caveat to that is when I know both coaches very well. When I do not know them very well I will never call either coach in a game by their first name. And in many cases with partners they either call them "Skip" or "Coach...last name." And funny thing about this in my area there is a big time basketball official that has told people at camps and this came up in my pre-game conversations with an official on Monday, he said, "Never call a coach by their first name no matter how well you know them." And this came from a person that has worked games for some of the most famous coaches at the college level.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Peace
And what would you do if they did?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Guess so.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
We are talking about players; we are not talking about coaches. But if you need that to be understood, yes coaches can call me by my first name as that is about the only way to identify each official. Coaches often do say, "Ref" or "Sir" many times as well. And they are adults in every case when I work as well. Then again I still do not refer to them by their first name. I did say this previously in the thread as well.

Maybe that is where you are, but actually that is not always the case or in the case where I am or with most that I have worked with. I work college in all of my 3 sports which includes baseball and I almost never refer to a coach by their first name. The only caveat to that is when I know both coaches very well. When I do not know them very well I will never call either coach in a game by their first name. And in many cases with partners they either call them "Skip" or "Coach...last name." And funny thing about this in my area there is a big time basketball official that has told people at camps and this came up in my pre-game conversations with an official on Monday, he said, "Never call a coach by their first name no matter how well you know them." And this came from a person that has worked games for some of the most famous coaches at the college level.

Peace
On the rare occasion when I might know both coaches equally well, I possibly would address them as "Dave" & "John". But, if I do, I run the risk of showing one coach favoritism (perception) if I speak with one more often than the other. "Coach" never gets you in trouble. They can call me "Gap", though, especially if they are requesting time out in a loud gym.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And what would you do if they did?
Tell them they are not allowed to call me by my first name. It is pretty simple.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Tell them they are not allowed to call me by my first name. It is pretty simple.

Peace
Hello, Mr. Unapproachable.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

As opposed to Mr. Closed-minded.