The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been a fan of the pre-game captins meeting. Its one of my favorite moments in the game.

I note that many disagree and advocate that players don't listen anyway. True in many cases but I am following a quick 60 second agenda that clears my obligation and for me gives some benefit.

1) Group Handshake - Gentlemen / Ladies introduce yourself to your opponent tonight. (Handshakes all around)

2) Point out generlities of the Court - Overhanging side baskets ("those are OOB fellows"), those Vollyball stripes just in front of the free throw line, etc.

3) POI review - "were focused on sportsmanship tonight. let's play the game as it's meant to be played. Lets all help yourselves and team mates watch their hands and mouths. .... etc.". We'll try to warn early but as we get flowing were gonna call 'em."

4) Guys, Section Three of the Basketball rule books say we have an obligation referee's and captains. You alone can approach us in a polit manner and ask for clarification or vital information. Do NOT let your teammates verbally challenge calls. Only thing we can do is rule a technical and then your team is hurt. Remind and monitor your team mates. You know who tends to get vocal and your job tonight is to help them". "Were here to make for a fair organized game - you can help in that accomplishemnt win or loose"

5) Shirt Tails coming out is a POI this year. We will, and have removed players from the game because of it. You as captains are asked to help me keep them in. Watch and remind Remind your teammates. You'll see the tails out as good as I do.

6) Any questions? if not as the captains I'll check with you before I throw it up for a jump ball to start the game as stated in the rule book.

7) Good luck and We'll see you back out here in a few moments.

60 seconds.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Pretty similar to how I start it off, add a little levity to let them know we are there to have fun. Try and keep it relaxed and quick.

Now emphasize the coaching box restriction to coaches at the end, only difference.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Daryl. This is my other brother Daryl. Good luck.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I usually ask them if they can handle their own players. And if they couldnt, i would in the worst way!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have only ever had two questions from captains:

1. By an eight year old in a provincial championship tourney. She even politely raised her hand! (Cannot remember what she asked.)

2. During a game in which I was forced to referee my own school and the captain was my student, she asked "Sir, do we have a math test tomorrow."
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
Pretty similar to how I start it off, add a little levity to let them know we are there to have fun. Try and keep it relaxed and quick.

Now emphasize the coaching box restriction to coaches at the end, only difference.
Certainly wish both coach's well and point out the "Box" before the game. Wanted to comment that its NOT appropriate to mention the "Litter Box" to the players.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 08:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Short

Here in Connecticut, we're going to meet with captains and coaches two minutes prior to the start of the game. It has been suggested that we keep the meeting short and to the point:

1) Introductions.

2) All all players properly equiped?

3) Do all players know how to wear their uniforms properly?

4) Good sportsmanship will be emphasized tonight.

5) Questions?

6) Good luck. We'll be starting in about a minute.

[Edited by BillyMac on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 08:22 PM]
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I have a buddy I work with quite a bit and he says to the captains "You may talk to us, but you must use complete sentences!"

It's hilarious!
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I do coaches and captains separately.

Captains: You're responsible for your teammates. If you keep them in line we don't have to. And remind them to take off their jewelry and hair things.

Coaches: Two questions, Players legally equipped? and Demonstrate good sportsmanship and fair play? Any questions about rule changes this year (first two weeks of season)?

That's it.

Short and sweet.

They never remember any of it anyway, so why do more than bare minimum?
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Hi, I'm Andy, this is X and this is Y....Questions?

Have a good game

====

Does anyone even remember "speaking captains numbers?

How often does a captain actually approach you during the game?
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 02:18am
Do not give a damn!!

1. "Are your players properly equip?"

2. "Who are my speaking captains."

3. Sportsmanship statement

4. Address coaching box (just for this year)

5. "Guys, keep your shirts tucked in."

This is what I have done this year. In the past I have never said anything about shirts or coaching box issues. I am probably going to stop saying anything about the shirts after tonight.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Had a discussion about that last night. After the first month of the season, shouldn't have to mention the coaching box or uniforms again.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

REQUIRED:

Along w/ anything else the R wants to do, this is required by the PIAA to be read (and when I say read, I mean either read or memorized to perfection) during every captains meeting for every sport at every level:

" PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, team, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the referee/umpire that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest."
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Whats the background of the "speaking captiain" concept.
Is that supported by rule?

Rule book says 1 (one) captain per team - is that what the "speaking captain" is referring to - when 2 or more appear at mid court?
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Whats the background of the "speaking captiain" concept.
Is that supported by rule?

Rule book says 1 (one) captain per team - is that what the "speaking captain" is referring to - when 2 or more appear at mid court?
It's just generally accepted that in real life there really aren't any restictions on the number of captains. That's why you might get 5 or 6 of 'em out there on senior night. You normally only want one player asking the questions though- which is why you ask them who's gonna do the talking. Usually, most officials will amswer any player's questions anyway though, as long as the player is being fairly polite.

Iow, it just ain't a biggie.