The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Captains meeting

Is there an NCAA or NFHS rule or any written instruction/requirement any place in the world that requires the Ref to ask for a spokesperson at the meeting with the captains? If so, please indicate the location. Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well first of all there isn't a requirement by the fed for a meeting at all that I'm aware of, this is usually a state requirement (or equivalent local jurisdiction). The closest thing we have 2-4-5. But since we usually do have a meeting with "captains" and coaches, take a look at 3-1-1 and 3-1-2, how would you know who unless you asked?

To that end, what's your point? If you feel like its a waste and don't want to do it because it's not mandatory, then don't worry about.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Well first of all there isn't a requirement by the fed for a meeting at all that I'm aware of, this is usually a state requirement (or equivalent local jurisdiction). The closest thing we have 2-4-5. But since we usually do have a meeting with "captains" and coaches, take a look at 3-1-1 and 3-1-2, how would you know who unless you asked?

To that end, what's your point? If you feel like its a waste and don't want to do it because it's not mandatory, then don't worry about.
They are all speaking captains.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Is there an NCAA or NFHS rule or any written instruction/requirement any place in the world that requires the Ref to ask for a spokesperson at the meeting with the captains? If so, please indicate the location. Thanks!
There's a rule that we're supposed to ask the captains if they are ready to start play. How can you do that if you don't know who they are?

And, while I'll listen to anyone who is polite, if I need to go to someone, I'll go to the captain if s/he is on the floor.

I can't do either of those things if I don't get a number (more accurately -- getting a number makes it far easier to do both of those things).
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:46am
Do not give a damn!!

I also mark those numbers in the official book. So when I need to talk to them I know who they are and have some record I asked who they are. It is not a big deal, but the rules do have things in place were we ask the captains things in different parts of the game.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I also mark those numbers in the official book. So when I need to talk to them I know who they are and have some record I asked who they are. It is not a big deal, but the rules do have things in place were we ask the captains things in different parts of the game.

Peace
+1

Look, I'm *all* for a short captain meeting. Mine (I know) takes no more than a minute, and that includes *getting* the captains and all the handshakes, introductions, etc. We get them at 12 minutes and I'm at the table before the clock hits 11.

But I hate the phrase "speaking captain". In a boys game, it's spokesman for me. In a girls game, spokesperson.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
+1

Look, I'm *all* for a short captain meeting. Mine (I know) takes no more than a minute, and that includes *getting* the captains and all the handshakes, introductions, etc. We get them at 12 minutes and I'm at the table before the clock hits 11.

But I hate the phrase "speaking captain". In a boys game, it's spokesman for me. In a girls game, spokesperson.
Wow you are far too politically correct for me. A Captain is a Captain is a Captain regardless of sex.

Here's what I say to the players at the meeting-

I need speaking Captains - they answer, "If your players or coaches have any problems, they come to you, you come to us, it rarely ever happens, we want to encourage good sportsmanship, any questions?"

Short and sweet and I don't have to remember spokesman or spokes"person".

Why not spokeswoman?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Wow you are far too politically correct for me. A Captain is a Captain is a Captain regardless of sex.

Here's what I say to the players at the meeting-

I need speaking Captains - they answer, "If your players or coaches have any problems, they come to you, you come to us, it rarely ever happens, we want to encourage good sportsmanship, any questions?"

Short and sweet and I don't have to remember spokesman or spokes"person".

Why not spokeswoman?
Because the phrase "speaking captain" is absolutely stupid. It assumes that the other captains can't speak. I'm happy to talk to anyone -- it's only when we have true stupidity and I want to talk to the head coach and a single captain to settle the game am I looking for a single person.

If you find it overly politically correct to recognize that a girl isn't a man, you must have a hard time with daily life. Even I stopped calling it 3-man a few years ago after saying I'd never do it -- I realized it's a small thing that really doesn't hurt anyone. Maybe it's because I have a daughter (although I like to think it's because I stopped dragging my knuckles on the ground).

(BTW, it's nothing to remember. It's not hard to recognize whether the players are girls or boys, is it?)
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:31am
Do not give a damn!!

When you only work games with one gender you do not have to worry about trying to say the gender neutral thing. So I can stick to "speaking captain." Not that I ever really thought about it until now.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
When you only work games with one gender you do not have to worry about trying to say the gender neutral thing. So I can stick to "speaking captain." Not that I ever really thought about it until now.

Peace
If I could ensure 50 games with just boys, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat. Too many commissioners around here expect that you'll work both (or take considerably fewer games if only asking for boys).
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because the phrase "speaking captain" is absolutely stupid. It assumes that the other captains can't speak.
Its all stupid of course we'll talk to anyone if they are polite. But by rule 3-1-1 there is only one "captain" . The other captains can't speak because they aren't really captains to begin with.

Once I find out the speaking captain, I shoo the rest away, the don't belong there (tongue in cheek of course).
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Its all stupid of course we'll talk to anyone if they are polite. But by rule 3-1-1 there is only one "captain" . The other captains can't speak because they aren't really captains to begin with.

Once I find out the speaking captain, I shoo the rest away, the don't belong there (tongue in cheek of course).
Technically, you're correct. But I don't want to lessen the importance to one of the other kids who was chosen to go to center court. To me, spokesman/spokesperson is just a better choice.

And I do ask the (singular) captain if we're ready to start play (while U1/U is checking with the head coaches and table).
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because the phrase "speaking captain" is absolutely stupid. It assumes that the other captains can't speak. I'm happy to talk to anyone -- it's only when we have true stupidity and I want to talk to the head coach and a single captain to settle the game am I looking for a single person.

If you find it overly politically correct to recognize that a girl isn't a man, you must have a hard time with daily life. Even I stopped calling it 3-man a few years ago after saying I'd never do it -- I realized it's a small thing that really doesn't hurt anyone. Maybe it's because I have a daughter (although I like to think it's because I stopped dragging my knuckles on the ground).

(BTW, it's nothing to remember. It's not hard to recognize whether the players are girls or boys, is it?)
At the "captains " meeting, we usually have 2 or 3 players from each team.

That is why we ask for a speaking Captain.

Captain is not a sexual term, so, in my little world, there is no need to change it. JMO.

Life for me is just fine, I work a lot of 3 man games.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If I could ensure 50 games with just boys, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat. Too many commissioners around here expect that you'll work both (or take considerably fewer games if only asking for boys).
I understand and glad I do not have to work what I do not want to. That being said, still do not see why it matters. I would think "spokesperson" would cover both genders quite well.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I understand and glad I do not have to work what I do not want to. That being said, still do not see why it matters. I would think "spokesperson" would cover both genders quite well.

Peace
It would, sure. It's an extra syllable I choose not to say. I'm flexible that way.

At some point I'll decide I'm happy with fewer games and will make the switch. At 34 games already this season, I'm wondering if I should cut back a bit next season. If this was my only sport, I'd work every night of the week, but with football and baseball and a family something's going to have to give eventually.