The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a rehearsed short Captains meeting speech they would like to share?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 08:53pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Hi, Captains.
This is Ump and I'm Ref.
Do you have any questions?
Who is your speaking captain?
Okay, put the ball in the hole and have fun.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hi guys/ladies.
I'm Mr. Elias; this is Mr. Smith.
Who's your floor captain?
Ok, any questions for me?
Have a great game, guys/ladies.

I never ask for the "speaking" captains. They don't need any encouragement from me to speak to the officials. I used to say "Black line all the way around" but Tony talked me out of it

Chuck
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hi guys/ladies.
I'm Mr. Elias; this is Mr. Smith.
Who's your floor captain?
Ok, any questions for me?
Have a great game, guys/ladies.

I never ask for the "speaking" captains. They don't need any encouragement from me to speak to the officials. I used to say "Black line all the way around" but Tony talked me out of it

Chuck
This was my speech too, until I worked with a guy who's name was not Smith. (No one cared that I wasn't Mr Elias.)
I also used to say "black line all around" until I got to a gym with a gold line all around.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 10:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Post My speech.

Shake hands gentlemen/ladies.

"My name is Mr. Rutledge. My partners are Mr. Stanley and Mr. Mitchell."

"Gentleman, do you have any questions?"

(At this point I say something about sportsmanship which is required by the state.)

"Who is my speaking captain for white? Who is my speaking captain for Blue?"

(If there is any illegal equiptment or special ground rules I migh make that clear here.)

"Gentlemen, have fun."

That is all I say.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 26, 2002, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Boy, I can see that moving up is going to require a lot of changes! Of course, I may not be doing any of the speeches at the higher level this year. With Jr Hi girls, the speech needs to be so much longer!!

A) "Shake hands and introduce yourselves..."
B) "I'm Juulie Downs, this is Jane Smith
B1) We will always be happy to answer your questions if you ask respectfully.
C) "Black (or whatever) line, other special rules (of which there are many in Jr Hi gyms!)
D) "You are responsible as captains to be certain no players on your team enter the floor with any jewelry, clippies, etc"
E) "Remember that sportsmanship is a Point of Emphasis this year, and your players should concentrate on maintaining a spirit of healthy competition."
F) "Has your coach reviewed the rules changes with you yet this year?"
or
"By now are you comfortable with the rule changes?"
G) "Do you have any other questions?"

If I don't do all of it (in about 35 seconds or less) I know it'll come back to bite me. Last year, I left out the part about the rule changes in March, and in the third quarter, a girl asked me, "When did they change the rule about the subs coming in all at the same time ?" IN MARCH!!
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 06:47am
In Memoriam

Re: My speech.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

(At this point I say something about sportsmanship which is required by the state.)

Oh, yeah... that too.

(I think it's dumb)
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
We're also required by the state to read a little card about sportsmanship. I don't know a single official who does it. We think it's dumb, too

Chuck
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

The PA speach

In Pennsylvania, we get to read (sometimes paraphrase) a message on Sportsmanship. It goes like this (you are testing my memory here):

"PIAA requires all registered sports officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the referee that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest."

Once we are done with that, I ask who the captains are and if they have any questions. If we are doing a 5th or 6th grade game, I remind the kids not to hang on the rim after dunking the basketball.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

No matter what the speach, it seems that this is what the kids hear,
(In the voice of the teacher from Peanuts), "Whaun wha wha whauan whayu wha whaun." LOL
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: The PA speach

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA

Once we are done with that, I ask who the captains are and if they have any questions. If we are doing a 5th or 6th grade game, I remind the kids not to hang on the rim after dunking the basketball.
Yeah, I do that too. I'll also remind these little kids
that no jewelry, not even wedding or engagement rings, can
be worn. For some reason the girls giggle, the boys mostly
rolltheir eyes. Every once in a while I'll tell them CBS is
here and we'll be taking one TV timeout in each half.
The looks on their faces for that one is unbelievable!
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

IF you have not seen it, there is a card produced by NF, and many states are having the coaches and the captains listen to it. In our state the head coach must come out to the pre-game. The cannot refuse, if they send an assistant out, guess who becomes the head coach for the game. Our state takes it serious. Some officials dont do it butif they were being observed they would get dinged pretty good.

Dont know if how much good it does but it certainly tells the coach before every game that we will not tolerate unsportsmanlike acts. They have been forewarned. If they act up there is no excuse.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 10:28am
Do not give a damn!!

I am the Referee on my Football Crew.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
IF you have not seen it, there is a card produced by NF, and many states are having the coaches and the captains listen to it. In our state the head coach must come out to the pre-game. The cannot refuse, if they send an assistant out, guess who becomes the head coach for the game. Our state takes it serious. Some officials dont do it butif they were being observed they would get dinged pretty good.

Dont know if how much good it does but it certainly tells the coach before every game that we will not tolerate unsportsmanlike acts. They have been forewarned. If they act up there is no excuse.
We have were given this same card by our State Association. During the Football season, most of the Referees never use this card at all. We have never been told to use it. Actually many officials did not even understand what it was for. After 2 years of doing this in all of my 3 sports, I have my own speech or words that gets the point across. I do not need a card to read from to say the very same things. I personally think the speech is stupid (like Mick) and reading from a card would be even more stupid. I personally do not think in my state anyone cares if you read the card or not.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Question I don't understand !

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

Rhetorically speaking...:
It makes little sense to me that the Coaches must be "forwarned" for any unsporting act.
If we assume that our partners do not need to be briefed on sportsmanship, that the Athletic Directors do not need to be briefed on sportsmanship, why then must the coaches and players be briefed, other than just cuz?

Old Fri Sep 27, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: I don't understand !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
...why then must the coaches and players be briefed [on sportsmanship], other than just cuz?
If the players, many of whom have been playing organized basketball since they were old enough to know what a basketball looked like, don't know they are going to have a foul called on them for using their forearm to clear out the defender and plant him on the second row of the bleachers...what makes us think they are going to remember the rules regarding sportsmanship without a reminder?

Sorry, guess I answered a question with a question.