View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone is really worked up over this.

As you said, it's window dressing. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter because kids should not, and in my case have NEVER, addressed me by my first OR last name during a game.

It's a personal preference for a captain's meeting intro that last no more than 30 seconds.

But Rich, you're the one who sort of made it an issue by saying you get a kick out of other officials who prefer to introduce themselves as "Mr." and then you step in using your first name as if it somehow makes you more approachable or less stuffy or whatever it is you think it does.

Again, to me it does not matter as no player is addressing by either. Sometimes I use my first name, but increasingly I just shake hands and do a generic greeting without my name.

As a former teacher and director of youth camps and rec programs, I do see where Rut is coming from though. Kids are absolutely more disrespectful today than they were when I was in high school in the mid 90s, and I'm sure we were more disrespectful then kids growing up in years prior. And a big reason for that is parents and adults who are more concerned about being liked and being their friends than they are about being a parent/adult and setting proper boundaries.

I don't think using your first name at a captain's meeting is part of that problem but I also see absolutely nothing wrong with adults who introduce themselves to teenagers with a "Mr. or Mrs." in any setting, including a captain's meeting.

Last edited by VaTerp; Wed Dec 21, 2011 at 11:02am.