The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Captains meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84682-captains-meeting.html)

cmhjordan23 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:59am

Captains meeting

What does everybody discuss other than typical sportmanship, court awareness- out of bounds, backboard, and ball retrieval by players away from court.

just another ref Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:08am

"Guys, you've heard this before if you were listening, and if you weren't listening before you're probably not listening now. Good luck."

APG Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:11am

Keep it short...

"Questions"
-This is almost always answered with a no

"Display good sportsmanship towards us and your opponents...and take of your teammates before we have to."

At that point, I'll ask if my partner(s) has/have anything to add...hopefully not.

"Good luck gentlemen/ladies."

15-20 seconds max.

zm1283 Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:14am

I don't ask for speaking captains.

- I introduce myself and shake hands with the captains and have them introduce themselves.

- I tell them they are all captains for their teams, so handle their teams.

- Keep your jerseys tucked in.

- Remind them about good sportsmanship, remind the coaches to communicate with us about what kind of timeout they are requesting.

The end. 30 seconds max.

JRutledge Tue Dec 20, 2011 01:33am

1. Ask the coaches, "Are your player's properly equip?"
  2. Identify speaking captains.
  3. Sportsmanship talk.
  4. Cover any unusual ground rules that might apply (extremely rare now).
  5. Ask my partners if they have anything to add.

This probably does not take 20-30 seconds.

Peace

constable Tue Dec 20, 2011 02:50am

1. Introduction
2. Shirts tucked in, properly report to table
3. ask for their help in dealing with problem players before our intervention is required.
4. Questions.

Takes 20 seconds.

There is no mention of boundary lines and crap that I plan on calling tonight " we'll be watching the handchecking and 3 in the key" etc.

BillyMac Tue Dec 20, 2011 07:05am

Not One Word More ...

Only the minimum required by NFHS rules, IAABO mechanics, and local area guidelines.

Players properly equipped.
Players wearing uniforms properly.
Practice good sportsmanship.
Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges, of the coaching box.

Freddy Tue Dec 20, 2011 07:37am

Not...

"OK guys/girls, this is Mr. Brown, Mr. Smith, and I'm Mr. That Guy:
- Tonight we're gonna play the black line all the way around
- Play defense with your feet
- Which one of you is the speaking captain
- Girls, don't hang on the rim after dunking
- Any rules questions, cuz I'll take time right now for a mini-rules clinic"
:D (Sorry...couldn't help myself)

Smitty Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 806241)
court awareness- out of bounds, backboard, and ball retrieval by players away from court.

Why would you discuss any of this with the captains?

Backboard? What about it?

Freddy Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:33am

One Minor Thing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 806340)
Why would you discuss any of this with the captains

Though many of us joke about the time-worn frivolity of "...the black line all the way around", on some floors, given the cross-thatching confusion of all the multiple painted lines, some have indeed found it wise to alert the visitors of, for instance, the red volleyball line four inches inside the actual black out-of-bounds line of the same width (ridiculous engineering common on some of the newer, most expensive multi-use courts). Just a brief mention of that which has, perhaps, confused visiting teams before. Kinda falls into the constructive category of preventative officiating.
Re. the other stuff you mention, I agree.

Smitty Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 806343)
Though many of us joke about the time-worn frivolity of "...the black line all the way around", on some floors, given the cross-thatching confusion of all the multiple painted lines, some have indeed found it wise to alert the visitors of, for instance, the red volleyball line four inches inside the actual black out-of-bounds line of the same width (ridiculous engineering common on some of the newer, most expensive multi-use courts). Just a brief mention of that which has, perhaps, confused visiting teams before. Kinda falls into the constructive category of preventative officiating.

Maybe in a junior high game, but never in a high school game. If they don't know which lines matter, we have a lot more problems to worry about...

Rich Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty (Post 806346)
maybe in a junior high game, but never in a high school game. If they don't know which lines matter, we have a lot more problems to worry about...

+1

Hartsy Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:48am

IMO, the captains meeting should be eliminated. No one would notice. Even so, I have the meeting as directed, but keep it light and short. Essentially, I introduce myself and partner/s, have the players do the same, ask them to play hard and have fun, then get them back to their teams.

Rich Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 806350)
IMO, the captains meeting should be eliminated. No one would notice. Even so, I have the meeting as directed, but keep it light and short. Essentially, I introduce myself and partner/s, have the players do the same, ask them to play hard and have fun, then get them back to their teams.

I get a kick out of officials who say, "I am Mr. So and So" cause then I step in and say, "I'm Rich."

BEAREF Tue Dec 20, 2011 08:51am

four points to make tonight enjoyable for all involved...

-respect your opponent
-respect the officials
-respect the game
-HAVE FUN

Good Luck!