Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep, and the players get the point pretty quickly that I'm not chasing the ball; when I don't chase the ball.
What about after the game?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:21pm
I miss being on the floor

My captains meeting:

Introduce yourselves (if they haven't already. Seems to be pretty common practice in my area.)

Coaches, is everyone properly equipped?
Coaches, are you aware of the concussion protocols?
Coaches, let us know full or :30 on timeouts right away so we can let the other coach know.

Players, sportsmanship is key

(To partner) Got anything?

Good luck.

I don't ask for speaking captains. Like others have said, I can't remember who the captains are 9 times out of ten anyway. I have a hard time remembering coaches' names, so I address every coach as "Coach". I can't be wrong that way. If I have a problem with a player, I will go to a coach.

I have no problem with coaches OR players addressing my by my first name. Maybe this is because I'm a young guy (24), so 95% of the coaches I deal with are several years older than me, and I'm not that much older than the players (though it just hit me that I'm ten years older than this year's freshman class).
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe I Look Like Someone ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stifler View Post
I have no problem with coaches or players addressing my by my first name. Maybe this is because I'm a young guy (24).
Coaches and players call me "Grandpa". I wonder why?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 07:34pm.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Mine is quite brief. I ask the coaches if their team is properly equipped, and I tell the coaches and captains we expect good sportsmanship. I do add that when we have a held ball, to please stop fighting for it after the whistle blows. (maybe that's too much?)
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Yes, I am guilty of theft...but it is worth it. I hope you don't mind...
Mind? I'm flattered. I steal stuff from here all the time.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

First name, last name. who cares, get off your high horse. As long as they are not disrespectful or out of line what do I care.

Do you not introduce yourself during your captains meeting? "I'm mr. official, and you all better remember that"
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If your values are no better or worse why do you get a kick out of it?
You got me. I think it's stuffy and idiotic. I was being polite.

I've never had a kid use my first name and don't expect to. I wouldn't care if they did, though.

I prefer they respect the shirt by acting the right way on the court. This stuff is just window dressing.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 11:34pm.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
First name, last name. who cares, get off your high horse. As long as they are not disrespectful or out of line what do I care.

Do you not introduce yourself during your captains meeting? "I'm mr. official, and you all better remember that"
I find it funny that people get all up in a bunch of coaches or players say something to them, then they want to tell others how they prefer to be addressed. It is no more of a high horse than folks that claim to get upset if players or coaches say certain things to them that results in a T. Unless we are friends or I know you really well, I do not want you calling me by my first name, which is why most business do not have their people calling their customers by their first name.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Most businesses address you as sir, unless there is an introduction as in, "Hi, I am bob" then the employee will call you Bob.

If you don't know someones name you don't have many options of what to call them.

Most of your statement JRUT made no sense whatsoever.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Most businesses address you as sir, unless there is an introduction as in, "Hi, I am bob" then the employee will call you Bob.

If you don't know someones name you don't have many options of what to call them.

Most of your statement JRUT made no sense whatsoever.
Well anytime I go in to a bank or I call a company that I do business with on the phone they say Mr or Mrs to their customers (cable, electric, gas or phone company). And yes they know my name, because they my information in front of them or I have to verify it to them before we can proceed. They still call me Mr. Rutledge. They never call my Jeff or my full first name. NEVER!!!! I also cannot recall them calling me "sir" after they know who they are speaking to.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

knowing a name and having an introduction are 2 different things. I just think your horse is getting higher by the post.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I get a kick out of officials who say, "I am Mr. So and So" cause then I step in and say, "I'm Rich."
+1

except I don't call myself Rich.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
knowing a name and having an introduction are 2 different things. I just think your horse is getting higher by the post.
Well then I will be on a high horse then. I was raised in a place where adults were adults and children were children. Sorry if you like your kids talking to you any kind of way and the only way they can show respect is not to curse at you. That was not acceptable in my world. No wonder kids do the things they do today. You want to be their friend rather than being the one responsible for them or the authority figure.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
I'll introduce myself to the coaches.
"Coaches, are your players legally equipped and prepared to play"?
"Coaches, players, you're expected to show good sportsmanship at all times; coaches, we expect for you to be the leaders with this".
"On timeouts, let us know if it's a full of 30, otherwise, we charge you a full, and no discussions about it".
To the players: "Let your teammates know if they don't have the shirttails in, we will not let them into the game".
"Any issues"? (Usually "No").
"Good luck, have a great game".
Around here we are required to use the proper terminology i.e. 60 second time out not full time out.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Around here we are required to use the proper terminology i.e. 60 second time out not full time out.
I use full time out as a terminology because 30 and 60 sound similar, where as 30 and full are quite distinct from one another. Less confusion.
Closed Thread