The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 10:48am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.
Another reason for me to not want to do these games....
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I concur.............You quit and they win. I would have called the cops too.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I did exactly what you are contemplating four years ago. I was working a lot and the last several games of the season were less than pleasant. I worked a jv/varsity boys doubleheader late in the season where we called technicals in both games and had fans yelling insults at us for most of the night. Just a nasty, mean environment. At the end of that season I felt like I'd had enough. I still felt that way the next fall and walked away from officiating. In many ways it was nice to have the free time and I found that the season off did me a lot of good. However, I did start to miss officiating and got the itch again the following season, so I got back into it.

I found that I have a different attitude towards it since I came back three years ago. I work fewer games and don't let a run of bad games get me down too much because I now know that in the long run I would miss the game if I gave it up. Working less has helped me to maintain my level of enjoyment in officiating and the time off a few years ago gave me some good perspective. Some day I know I will give it up completely but I don't think I'm there yet; in general, I still enjoy it 95% of the time; that's a higher percentage of enjoyment than most of the things I do every day.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. Your opinions mean a lot. I came here ( and Gary's board ) 11 years ago thinking I knew something about basketball and I knew very little. I learned a lot.

The biggest thing I think anyone can learn here is how to enforce the rules. They aren't cut and dry. I use the Tower Principle a lot ('It is not the intent that the rules shall be interpreted literally, rather they should be applied in relation to the effect which the action of the players has upon their opponents. If they are unfairly affected as a result of a violation of rules, then the transgressor shall be penalized. If there has been no appreciable effect upon the progress of the game, then the game shall not be interrupted. The act should be ignored. It is incidental and not vital. Realistically and practically, no violation has occurred.' Advantage/disadvantage )

I will keep you up to date on my decision. I love officiating ( and I came to it from coaching which made officiating harder to do ). The fans are getting worse. I think we need a Zero Tolerance policy for the fans for insults toward the officials, not sure that's the answer, but it's a start and would send a message.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 02:57pm
Archaic Power Monger

You are in good company...I have different reasons for considering not coming back next season but know you aren't alone in your thoughts.

I am not going to make any decisions now but will give myself some down time away from it to make a decision. I certainly recommend doing the same.

I'm positive you will come to the right decision for you.

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 03:02pm.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 02:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Give up the types of games that are the most grief-filled. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

One Man's Opinion

I hope you stay with it. The game needs good officials, and to my mind anyone who comes here to read, ponder and discuss with others is taking one of the steps toward being one of the best.

I think sufficient rules already exist for governing behavior, be it players, coaches or fans. What's needed is for site administrators to step in earlier and be more proactive in taking care of probem individuals before they become even larger problems. I give a lot of credit to our town AD who at every home game is a visible presence in the gym and takes action when it's required that he do so.

Coaches need to take more seriously that they are resposible for the conduct of their teams. (and I don't mean just their bench during the games) They set the tone and in much the same way as we are told what we don't penalize we condone, the same is true for their programs. Too many players believe participation in athletics is a right, and not something that's earned and requires a consistently high standard of conduct.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

No official should be an island. If the league administrators do not fully and completely support you, then do not stay. I work in two leagues that have the potential for trouble: a men's league at a fitness center and a youth travel league.

The management at the fitness center made it crystal clear that there would be no problems supporting any decision we made...even if meant suspending membership. We have an escalating punishment for game disqualifications: two technical fouls (or one flagrant) and you are ejected from that game and you sit out the next game. You may not stay in the gym or try to watch from outside the door. If it happens again, two-game suspension. A third time? You are done for the league season. We have never gone beyond the one-game suspension. The word is out that we mean business...and the idiots either stay away or are quickly told by their teammates to knock if off.

The youth league started having problems a few years back. Since there is no direct site manager, the league developed a policy that the head coaches are responsible for the conduct of their bench and their fans. If we have problems with fans, we tell the coaches to deal with it. If they don't, the game is forfeited. Most parents are thankful that someone is finally telling the jerks to knock it off. I had a problem with a parent after a playoff game last year. When I told the league administrator about it, he told me it was the fourth complaint about that town's teams. The league managers spoke to the town coordinator and gave a simple offer: clean up your act or you will be kicked out of the league.

If I worked in a league that refused to back me fully, I would not work there. But...I would sit down with the managers and let them know the problems. You have a lot of company...and a lot of support from others who have walked in your shoes. If you would like copies of the league policies to share with your folks, send me a private message.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Church league misconduct is really a foreign concept to me.........I play in a church league that is very competitive (many former JUCO/college players) and in our league we range in age from 25-45. I have never heard a word from any players or fans in the games. In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.
That is why your "Church League" is the exception, IMO. MOST church league players are those who MAYBE played in HS and MAYBE were somewhat decent with something to prove and thinking they can do @ 30+ what they could do at 18! For those that played college, they have already "achieived" something and really have nothing to prove. At least that has been my experience.

If I were you I would quit. The church leagues that is. Personally, I would never offiicate one and quit playing in them years ago b/c of what you experienced. I do some AAU over the summer and always get a smile out of the antics of the parents and the coaches. I fire off at about a 5 to 1 ratio more T's over the summer then I do during the year. When it gets to a point where I can no longer laugh at the stupidity, I will no longer work those games. It sounds like you may have reached that point.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 06:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Church league misconduct is really a foreign concept to me.........I play in a church league that is very competitive (many former JUCO/college players) and in our league we range in age from 25-45. I have never heard a word from any players or fans in the games. In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.
You wouldn't hear it, even if it was said. Not that your impression isn't correct.

I'm not sure I could work a league where players called their own fouls.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Thanks guys. Your opinions mean a lot. I came here ( and Gary's board ) 11 years ago thinking I knew something about basketball and I knew very little. I learned a lot.

The biggest thing I think anyone can learn here is how to enforce the rules. They aren't cut and dry. I use the Tower Principle a lot ('It is not the intent that the rules shall be interpreted literally, rather they should be applied in relation to the effect which the action of the players has upon their opponents. If they are unfairly affected as a result of a violation of rules, then the transgressor shall be penalized. If there has been no appreciable effect upon the progress of the game, then the game shall not be interrupted. The act should be ignored. It is incidental and not vital. Realistically and practically, no violation has occurred.' Advantage/disadvantage )

I will keep you up to date on my decision. I love officiating ( and I came to it from coaching which made officiating harder to do ). The fans are getting worse. I think we need a Zero Tolerance policy for the fans for insults toward the officials, not sure that's the answer, but it's a start and would send a message.
My basic thought: Don't let church/rec league players chase you from the game. Stop doing those games, but keep working the hs circuit.

Maybe inform the league directors why you've chosen to stop working those leagues. Nothing accusing or demanding, just informing them that you've stopped working their games and why.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
There is a church in Ft.Worth, TX that no longer has a basketball men's league because no referees will go there anymore! We left in the middle of the last game there........and didn't care about getting paid either! It was worth it to pull off the shirt and whistle and say, "Guys, we're done!"..."Have a nice night!"
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 08:57am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
So, you mean there were no....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30 View Post
There is a church in Ft.Worth, TX that no longer has a basketball men's league because no referees will go there anymore! We left in the middle of the last game there........and didn't care about getting paid either! It was worth it to pull off the shirt and whistle and say, "Guys, we're done!"..."Have a nice night!"
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I probably sound like a broken record, but don't let those church/wreck games get to you. When I first started officiating 7 years ago when I was 18 I would get a lot of crap from everyone and at times thought that I would have to deal with a crazy player after a rec game. I have come to find out that as much as I love officiating I really started to hate doing church/rec league games.

If you have a passion and the fire still burns don't give up. The only thing you can is get stronger from these situations and let it roll off of you. Yes, you can not accept those games and stick strickly to high school/college basketball which all of us love on this forum.

I think each of us does this because we love the game and we all know that there are going to be those few bad eggs out there that tries to get on our cases.

I deal with it all the time, I am 25 and work Division 2 and 3 Women's College basketball and let me tell you some of the things heard towards me in regards to my age and how I should still be in high school, but that is a different subject for another time.

Anywho, stick to your guns, and never let anyone ruin what is fun for you. Like everyone else is saying if you walk away it is saying that you quit and everyone else is winning!

Peace,
Bleach
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 10:37am
This IS My Social Life

Just Desserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30 View Post
I pledged never to do church or wreck league ball. Educational athletics only.
Then an area guy begged me and a couple of other guys to do an older adult rec league he was putting together "where there will be no competition, just fun........" We consented and they got three or four advanced high school officials to do their games. Beginning stated philosophy of the league went down the toilet the very first night. We bailed midway during the season because they broke their stated philosophy under which we agreed to serve. The league folded, unable to attract suitable officials.
Just desserts.
Back to organized educational athletics totally again, and happy.