View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I did exactly what you are contemplating four years ago. I was working a lot and the last several games of the season were less than pleasant. I worked a jv/varsity boys doubleheader late in the season where we called technicals in both games and had fans yelling insults at us for most of the night. Just a nasty, mean environment. At the end of that season I felt like I'd had enough. I still felt that way the next fall and walked away from officiating. In many ways it was nice to have the free time and I found that the season off did me a lot of good. However, I did start to miss officiating and got the itch again the following season, so I got back into it.

I found that I have a different attitude towards it since I came back three years ago. I work fewer games and don't let a run of bad games get me down too much because I now know that in the long run I would miss the game if I gave it up. Working less has helped me to maintain my level of enjoyment in officiating and the time off a few years ago gave me some good perspective. Some day I know I will give it up completely but I don't think I'm there yet; in general, I still enjoy it 95% of the time; that's a higher percentage of enjoyment than most of the things I do every day.