The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Thinking about quitting

11 years of refereeing and I'm over 50.

In my last 11 games I called 7 "T"s My partners in those games have called another 4 "T"s.

Last night I was called every possible name including cheater at a church league game. I was followed for about 6 miles by a fan ( with their hi beams on ) I almost call the police, not that I was scared, just because. I worry about my truck being damaged after a loss by one team or another. I think it's finally taken it's toll. I love refereeing, but people don't want to take responsibility for their lack of skill, they want to blame their loss on the officials.

I was having a great season up to the last 2 weeks. if I don't come back, I will miss all the friendships, but the fans are pushing people away. JMO.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Its getting bad out there with fans. We had a baseball/softball meeting last night and there were reports of two different officials in my association being physically attacked by fans at high school basketball games.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Don't let them win. If you are doing something you enjoy, then do not let others keep you from it. People are idiots sometimes, that's the bottom line. I know that you know whether you kicked calls or not, so if you know you are right, then their comments, name calling, etc. are just the random bantering of morons who do not know any better.

The only other question to ask yourself though is: even though you enjoy it, are you having fun? IMO, you can keep a professional appearance and still have fun officiating the game. Enjoying what we do is the only way we can come back the next night after players and coaches do what they do.

It sounds like you have had a string of bad games (not by your doing, just bad behavior), so I would not let that recent string keep me from doing what I enjoy. Just my opinion.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:10pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
No quick decisions

Look, many have been there. It's the end of a long season. No snap judgments. Maybe be more choosy with your games? Maybe only take certain levels, certain ages, or certain leagues?

Good luck in your decision.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
look, many have been there. It's the end of a long season. No snap judgments. Maybe be more choosy with your games? maybe only take certain levels, certain ages, or certain leagues?
good luck in your decision.
bingo!!!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have a shorter leash for AAU. Parents are worse there than at HS. Rec Leagues are a step below AAU. And I am being kind. Find out where the Ts are coming from. If the problems are with the church league, stop doing those games.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I have a shorter leash for AAU. Parents are worse there than at HS. Rec Leagues are a step below AAU. And I am being kind. Find out where the Ts are coming from. If the problems are with the church league, stop doing those games.
the last 11 "t"s were Church league and middle school. On 2 for the High school games.

I don't think that I have a short fuse for "T"s, tonight I had to call one because the player removed his jersey on the floor at the end of the 2nd period. Automatic "T". then when I "T"ed him up, he used a profanity toward me ( the F word ) 2nd "T" he's done. He was their best player. His team lost.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Look, many have been there. It's the end of a long season. No snap judgments. Maybe be more choosy with your games? Maybe only take certain levels, certain ages, or certain leagues?

Good luck in your decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
bingo!!!
+1 both of you.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I was followed for about 6 miles by a fan ( with their hi beams on ) I almost call the police...
Don't call the police. Call my buddy Guido. Nuff said.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the last 11 "t"s were Church league and middle school. On 2 for the High school games.

I don't think that I have a short fuse for "T"s, tonight I had to call one because the player removed his jersey on the floor at the end of the 2nd period. Automatic "T". then when I "T"ed him up, he used a profanity toward me ( the F word ) 2nd "T" he's done. He was their best player. His team lost.
Church leagues are notorious. Drop'em! That's what I did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

those church going hypocrites...f*** em

not srs

well, sorta srs.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 07:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
11 years of refereeing and I'm over 50.

In my last 11 games I called 7 "T"s My partners in those games have called another 4 "T"s.

Last night I was called every possible name including cheater at a church league game. I was followed for about 6 miles by a fan ( with their hi beams on ) I almost call the police, not that I was scared, just because. I worry about my truck being damaged after a loss by one team or another. I think it's finally taken it's toll. I love refereeing, but people don't want to take responsibility for their lack of skill, they want to blame their loss on the officials.

I was having a great season up to the last 2 weeks. if I don't come back, I will miss all the friendships, but the fans are pushing people away. JMO.
Sounds like you should have had multiple T's in this game. And if someone directly calls you a cheater, after T's have previously been issued to the same team, they're gone. "Whack! Get out!"

I'd definitely call the police. Then I'd never do that league again.

To some degree, if you quit, they win.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
those church going hypocrites...f*** em

not srs

well, sorta srs.
Church league misconduct is really a foreign concept to me.........I play in a church league that is very competitive (many former JUCO/college players) and in our league we range in age from 25-45. I have never heard a word from any players or fans in the games. In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Church league misconduct is really a foreign concept to me.........I play in a church league that is very competitive (many former JUCO/college players) and in our league we range in age from 25-45. I have never heard a word from any players or fans in the games. In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.
That's great, but from what I can tell your experience is not the norm.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
This is incredibly rare (unfortunately). I'm not sure why it is exactly (although I have my theories), but on average church leagues and religious schools seem to have more discipline issues than their secular counterparts.