The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thinking about quitting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/63751-thinking-about-quitting.html)

Terrapins Fan Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:50pm

Thinking about quitting

11 years of refereeing and I'm over 50.

In my last 11 games I called 7 "T"s My partners in those games have called another 4 "T"s.

Last night I was called every possible name including cheater at a church league game. I was followed for about 6 miles by a fan ( with their hi beams on ) I almost call the police, not that I was scared, just because. I worry about my truck being damaged after a loss by one team or another. I think it's finally taken it's toll. I love refereeing, but people don't want to take responsibility for their lack of skill, they want to blame their loss on the officials.

I was having a great season up to the last 2 weeks. if I don't come back, I will miss all the friendships, but the fans are pushing people away. JMO.

SNIPERBBB Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:59pm

Its getting bad out there with fans. We had a baseball/softball meeting last night and there were reports of two different officials in my association being physically attacked by fans at high school basketball games.

Good luck with your decision.

MathReferee Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00pm

Don't let them win. If you are doing something you enjoy, then do not let others keep you from it. People are idiots sometimes, that's the bottom line. I know that you know whether you kicked calls or not, so if you know you are right, then their comments, name calling, etc. are just the random bantering of morons who do not know any better.

The only other question to ask yourself though is: even though you enjoy it, are you having fun? IMO, you can keep a professional appearance and still have fun officiating the game. Enjoying what we do is the only way we can come back the next night after players and coaches do what they do.

It sounds like you have had a string of bad games (not by your doing, just bad behavior), so I would not let that recent string keep me from doing what I enjoy. Just my opinion.

grunewar Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10pm

No quick decisions

Look, many have been there. It's the end of a long season. No snap judgments. Maybe be more choosy with your games? Maybe only take certain levels, certain ages, or certain leagues?

Good luck in your decision.

Raymond Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 735730)
look, many have been there. It's the end of a long season. No snap judgments. Maybe be more choosy with your games? maybe only take certain levels, certain ages, or certain leagues?
good luck in your decision.

bingo!!!

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24pm

I have a shorter leash for AAU. Parents are worse there than at HS. Rec Leagues are a step below AAU. And I am being kind. Find out where the Ts are coming from. If the problems are with the church league, stop doing those games.

Terrapins Fan Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 735734)
I have a shorter leash for AAU. Parents are worse there than at HS. Rec Leagues are a step below AAU. And I am being kind. Find out where the Ts are coming from. If the problems are with the church league, stop doing those games.

the last 11 "t"s were Church league and middle school. On 2 for the High school games.

I don't think that I have a short fuse for "T"s, tonight I had to call one because the player removed his jersey on the floor at the end of the 2nd period. Automatic "T". then when I "T"ed him up, he used a profanity toward me ( the F word ) 2nd "T" he's done. He was their best player. His team lost.

JRutledge Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 735730)
Look, many have been there. It's the end of a long season. No snap judgments. Maybe be more choosy with your games? Maybe only take certain levels, certain ages, or certain leagues?

Good luck in your decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 735732)
bingo!!!

+1 both of you. :)

Peace

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 735715)
I was followed for about 6 miles by a fan ( with their hi beams on ) I almost call the police...

Don't call the police. Call my buddy Guido. Nuff said. :cool:

BktBallRef Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 735735)
the last 11 "t"s were Church league and middle school. On 2 for the High school games.

I don't think that I have a short fuse for "T"s, tonight I had to call one because the player removed his jersey on the floor at the end of the 2nd period. Automatic "T". then when I "T"ed him up, he used a profanity toward me ( the F word ) 2nd "T" he's done. He was their best player. His team lost.

Church leagues are notorious. Drop'em! That's what I did.

CaRef5 Wed Mar 02, 2011 01:39am

those church going hypocrites...f*** em

not srs

well, sorta srs.

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 02, 2011 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 735715)
11 years of refereeing and I'm over 50.

In my last 11 games I called 7 "T"s My partners in those games have called another 4 "T"s.

Last night I was called every possible name including cheater at a church league game. I was followed for about 6 miles by a fan ( with their hi beams on ) I almost call the police, not that I was scared, just because. I worry about my truck being damaged after a loss by one team or another. I think it's finally taken it's toll. I love refereeing, but people don't want to take responsibility for their lack of skill, they want to blame their loss on the officials.

I was having a great season up to the last 2 weeks. if I don't come back, I will miss all the friendships, but the fans are pushing people away. JMO.

Sounds like you should have had multiple T's in this game. And if someone directly calls you a cheater, after T's have previously been issued to the same team, they're gone. "Whack! Get out!"

I'd definitely call the police. Then I'd never do that league again.

To some degree, if you quit, they win.

Remington Wed Mar 02, 2011 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 735776)
those church going hypocrites...f*** em

not srs

well, sorta srs.

Church league misconduct is really a foreign concept to me.........I play in a church league that is very competitive (many former JUCO/college players) and in our league we range in age from 25-45. I have never heard a word from any players or fans in the games. In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.

mbyron Wed Mar 02, 2011 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington (Post 735861)
Church league misconduct is really a foreign concept to me.........I play in a church league that is very competitive (many former JUCO/college players) and in our league we range in age from 25-45. I have never heard a word from any players or fans in the games. In fact, we call fouls/violations on ourselves if the officials miss one.

That's great, but from what I can tell your experience is not the norm.

Eastshire Wed Mar 02, 2011 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remington (Post 735861)

This is incredibly rare (unfortunately). I'm not sure why it is exactly (although I have my theories), but on average church leagues and religious schools seem to have more discipline issues than their secular counterparts.