View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. Your opinions mean a lot. I came here ( and Gary's board ) 11 years ago thinking I knew something about basketball and I knew very little. I learned a lot.

The biggest thing I think anyone can learn here is how to enforce the rules. They aren't cut and dry. I use the Tower Principle a lot ('It is not the intent that the rules shall be interpreted literally, rather they should be applied in relation to the effect which the action of the players has upon their opponents. If they are unfairly affected as a result of a violation of rules, then the transgressor shall be penalized. If there has been no appreciable effect upon the progress of the game, then the game shall not be interrupted. The act should be ignored. It is incidental and not vital. Realistically and practically, no violation has occurred.' Advantage/disadvantage )

I will keep you up to date on my decision. I love officiating ( and I came to it from coaching which made officiating harder to do ). The fans are getting worse. I think we need a Zero Tolerance policy for the fans for insults toward the officials, not sure that's the answer, but it's a start and would send a message.