The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Exclamation

I am Brandan, a 15 year old Freshman in Louisiana. I am currently a Basketball Official and is looking to get into Baseball/Softball. What do I need to do, get? Is it hard? Any help will be greatly appericated.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:20am
M.A.S.H.

Brandan,

Cool! Well my first thing to tell you is to pick one -- baseball or softball. Then after about 2/3 years pick up the other one. Contact your state the same way you do for basketball. Here in IL, whenever we re-new our license we can select you add another sports, probably the same way or close in Louisiana. Hard, no, but just like basketball it takes time to study the rules and get the mechanics down. As for you, judging by your posts and questions from the basketball forum, you'll be fine! It's obvious to me that you are interested in wanting to learn the rules and applying them. Apply the same interest into baseball/softball as you do basketball by asking questions etc. and you'll be fine! Now, due to your age, you might not be able to get a license (here in IL you have to be 17). If that's the same case for you, find a licensed official and ask him who assigns the summer league stuff. Get into working little league games or whatever you are allowed to work during the summer! Just like in basketball, make sure you have fun!! As I already said, if you have questions ask, someone on here will be glad to help you just like on the basketball side! Good luck!!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Brandan -- the answers to these questions are the same as the answers to the identical questions you asked when you wanted to work basketball.

If you want to work HS, contact the state association.

If you want to work youth, contact the local park district (or similar).

If the Junior High Schools play baseball, it's probalby run by the state association or by a similar organization just for JHs.