The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Hey, give the guy a break......

He just mastered that unsolicited criticism technique. What more can you ask for after 6 years?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
You knew the rule? Does that include your crediting the goal in the wrong basket to A2, as you wrote above?

You need to learn all of the rule, not "some".
Where exactly did I write that I "credited" A2 for the goal? I didn't. I told the scorekeeper to just make a note that it was A2 who scored the basket for the opposing team. That way, if there was a problem with the score and the scorekeeper needed to count the score, he/she would not miss those two points that was scored by the wrong team. That was a trick I used when I was scorekeeping, as it has happened to me several times. It doesn't say that this should be done in the rulebook, it's just a trick that I used so if I had to add up the score due to a discrepency and I would not miss those two points. I don't know what other scorekeepers do.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Where exactly did I write that I "credited" A2 for the goal? I didn't. I told the scorekeeper to just make a note that it was A2 who scored the basket for the opposing team. That way, if there was a problem with the score and the scorekeeper needed to count the score, he/she would not miss those two points that was scored by the wrong team. That was a trick I used when I was scorekeeping, as it has happened to me several times. It doesn't say that this should be done in the rulebook, it's just a trick that I used so if I had to add up the score due to a discrepency and I would not miss those two points. I don't know what other scorekeepers do.

Actually it does say what to do in the rulebook.

Quote:
Not quite right. Goal is credited to team B but not to any player. NFHS rule 5-2-3. case book play 5.2.3 is the exact play.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:59pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
It's called "making sure". I knew the rule, just wanted to make sure I knew it correctly.
Seems as though you would have a greater handle on the rules if you undertook to research these questions yourself as opposed to relying on this board to provide you answers. You do have a rules and case book, right?
This would save you the embarrassment of representing your faulty rules knowledge on this forum for all the world to see.
Is it soccer season yet??
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Where exactly did I write that I "credited" A2 for the goal? I didn't. I told the scorekeeper to just make a note that it was A2 who scored the basket for the opposing team That way, if there was a problem with the score and the scorekeeper needed to count the score, he/she would not miss those two points that was scored by the wrong team. That was a trick I used when I was scorekeeping, as it has happened to me several times. It doesn't say that this should be done in the rulebook, it's just a trick that I used so if I had to add up the score due to a discrepency and I would not miss those two points. I don't know what other scorekeepers do.
You didn't even bother to read the rule and case book citation that I took the time to look up for you...and JAR took the time to re-post right above.....did you?

For any new official reading that wasn't sure, the basket gets credited to team B in a footnote on the scoresheet. Never to any player. Only been that way...oh....forever.

Lah me....
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You did just fine. You told the score keeper to make a note. Exactly what should that note say? It should say that A2 put the ball in the wrong basket for team B. Exactly as you said.
"Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B."
I don't think anyone else throught you were suggesting "crediting A2" with the score.

It is obviously better to have more detail in any note on an unusual situation.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 03:26pm.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You did just fine. You told the score keeper to make a note. Exactly what should that note say? It should say that A2 put the ball in the wrong basket for team B. Exactly as you said.
"Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B."
I don't think anyone else throught you were suggesting "crediting A2" with the score.

It is obviously better to have more detail in any note on an unusual situation.
Well, he did say to credit A2 with the score, not Team A. This is incorrect procedure. I can't see why it might be a problem, but it isn't what is recommended. Maybe it shouldn't count toward A2's career point total.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Well, he did say to credit A2 with the score, not Team A. This is incorrect procedure. I can't see why it might be a problem, but it isn't what is recommended. Maybe it shouldn't count toward A2's career point total.
No, he said to put a note indicating what happened; that's all he said. Frankly, I think too many assumed the worst without actually reading what he said.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No, he said to put a note indicating what happened; that's all he said. Frankly, I think too many assumed the worst without actually reading what he said.
I'm just trying to see how this differs from crediting A2 with the score. To me, a note saying A2 made the basket by definition "credits" A2 for the score. Isn't it recommended that the note only credits Team A for the score? Again, I can't see what makes any difference, but it is a valid point to argue that the OP did indeed incorrectly credit A2. If the note doesn't credit A2, what does constitute crediting A2 for the score?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Frankly, I think too many assumed the worst without actually reading what he said.
Frankly, I read what he said and I didn't assume anything.

What he wrote was incorrect, rules-wise.

Field goals scored in the wrong basket get credited to the team, not a player. He credited A2 with the score, even though the score was in the wrong basket.

Players do not get mentioned in the footnote on the score sheet. It's that simple.

And to be quite honest, I could care less what representing does. I wanted to make sure everybody else knew the correct procedure by rule.

And to also be completely honest, I ain't about to to get into any stoopid, pointless argument with anybody over it either.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I agree. He made a minor mistake in how the score was footnoted, but he did not at any point say A2 should be CREDITED with the basket.

And I'm one of the regular critics of representing in the forum.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Frankly, I read what he said and I didn't assume anything.

What he wrote was incorrect, rules-wise.

Field goals scored in the wrong basket get credited to the team, not a player. He credited A2 with the score, even though the score was in the wrong basket.

Players do not get mentioned in the footnote on the score sheet. It's that simple.

And to be quite honest, I could care less what representing does. I wanted to make sure everybody else knew the correct procedure by rule.

And to also be completely honest, I ain't about to to get into any stoopid, pointless argument with anybody over it either.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with adding extra information to the footnotes in this situation. That's all he did. He didn't say to "credit" anything to anyone.

I've shaken my head at my share of representing's posts, I just don't think this is one to jump on him over.

By all means, add the clarification that it doesn't get "credited" to any player, however.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Representing can attest to the fact I haven't been a big fan of his posts on this site, we'ev exchanged a few private emails about my thoughts on his status in the officiating world.

That said, I think this post has been a prime example of the "eating out young" post someone made a while back. The kid handled the situation and correctly and wanted to talk about it and some of our "brethren" attack him. What makes it even more ridiculous is that some among us are so eager to attack him and prove to the world their officiating superiority that you completely changed what representing said in the orginal post. He never once said he credited A2 with the score, only to make a note who scored the phantom points that would have shown up without being credited to any player on team B. It was only a clarification note, not crediting it to A2's stats.

Some of you just amaze me sometimes with trying to impress others with your vast knowledge of this game, all the while proclaiming how you just "want to make sure others know the correct procedure."

Good job this time representing, but I still hold to our previous conversations bro
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Representing can attest to the fact I haven't been a big fan of his posts on this site, we'ev exchanged a few private emails about my thoughts on his status in the officiating world.

That said, I think this post has been a prime example of the "eating out young" post someone made a while back. The kid handled the situation and correctly and wanted to talk about it and some of our "brethren" attack him. What makes it even more ridiculous is that some among us are so eager to attack him and prove to the world their officiating superiority that you completely changed what representing said in the orginal post. He never once said he credited A2 with the score, only to make a note who scored the phantom points that would have shown up without being credited to any player on team B. It was only a clarification note, not crediting it to A2's stats.

Some of you just amaze me sometimes with trying to impress others with your vast knowledge of this game, all the while proclaiming how you just "want to make sure others know the correct procedure."

Good job this time representing, but I still hold to our previous conversations bro
Great points, but to me, recording in a footnote that A2 (not Team A) scored the points is crediting A2 with the points. We aren't supposed to do that.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Great points, but to me, recording in a footnote that A2 (not Team A) scored the points is crediting A2 with the points. We aren't supposed to do that.
Maybe I'm mistaken (always a possibility), but I was under the impression that the player's stats were not recorded in the footnotes. It's not the same thing.