The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Shoots at Wrong Basket and is fouled

This situation occurred in an Ohio j.v. game.

"Player A in-bounds the ball in his back court. His team mate receives the pass and is pressured by player B. In his confusion Player A drives to player B's basket and is fouled while attempting to shoot the ball.

What's the call?

The call on the court was a personal foul on player B and the ball was awarded to team A for a throw-in from the out of bounds nearest where the foul occurred.

RIGHT!!!!

RAT IN OHIO:
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Though your OP didn't say anything about it, I'm assuming the ball hadn't passed through the hoop when the foul occured. In that case, I'd say you were correct. The ball became dead on the whistle, as it wasn't a legitimate attempt. The foul is either a throw-in, or shots, depending on whether or not they're in the bonus.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly, The shooter was not "fouled in the act of shooting" because an attempt or try for goal may only be attempted at ones own basket. The ball became dead immediatley and if A were in the bonus, free throws could then be awarded, other wise the ball goes OBO to A.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 03:55pm
Lighten up, Francis.

How many times does this happen in a season? We've had about 5 threads in the last month with this scenario or something very similar.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

this is some new guy thinkin he has a stich that we have never discussed or come across before....way to stump us man great job
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

you know, sometimes when I see posts, I wonder if people have intentionally put them up to try and stump other people. I know weird situations happen sometimes, but honestly, I rarely see this kind of play happen, especially not as much as it shows up. Actually, I've never seen this play happen, but 5 times in a year seems like a lot.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
How many times does this happen in a season? We've had about 5 threads in the last month with this scenario or something very similar.
Had a game recently where it happened and as I subsequently passed the bench of the team that benefited, I heard the coach say, "I should call that play more often".
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
you know, sometimes when I see posts, I wonder if people have intentionally put them up to try and stump other people. I know weird situations happen sometimes, but honestly, I rarely see this kind of play happen, especially not as much as it shows up. Actually, I've never seen this play happen, but 5 times in a year seems like a lot.
It happened to me just this past weekend (little kids game). In my game the kid shooting at the wrong basket didn't get fouled. As it was happening I was wondering what I was going to do if she did get fouled. As it turns out what I would have done is not what should have been done.

When I got home I just ran a search and found a thread with an answer to my question. These type of odd plays may happen more often than expected. It just might be that the newbies don't know how to use all the features of the board to get the answers they are looking for.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

In about 600 games that I've done, I've seen the foul on the shot at the wrong basket once. But we see it discussed here so many times I thought it was a pretty textbook call!