The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Coming out of a TO, A1 is inbounding under B's basket. A1 inbounds to A2 who just subbed into the game. Confused, A2 shoots an uncontested layup at B's basket and it goes in. Score 2 points for B. Now it should be A's ball to inbound. However, since A just shot, B1 grabs the ball and inbounds it to B2. B1 takes off down the court the wrong way, but B2 knows what's going on and shoots an uncontested layup and it goes in. Neither officical whistled the play dead when B1 grabbed the ball. Other than a mess, what do you have?

Mregor
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

You blow it dead, cancel the basket by B and give the ball to A. You also put time back on the clock.

By rule, you could also have a technical foul on B2, but it would be difficult to justify.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Tony,

Do you have a rule reference? I agree the T is definitely hard to justify. It penalizes them worse than the team that strated the whole mess. My books are at the office.

Mregor
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 01:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Tony,

Do you have a rule reference? I agree the T is definitely hard to justify. It penalizes them worse than the team that strated the whole mess. My books are at the office.

I think that Tony is referring to casebook play 10.1.8.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I remember a thread very similar to this one a couple of months back. I think that the final consensus was that you count the first wrong basket, then as the other team notices, you are trying to get there attention, but didn't blow your whistle in time to stop the next basket. Since you noticed the confusion around the same time as B2 notices, you can correct it. Ball in B's basket=A's ball, time back on, go from there!
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Don't count the second basket of course!