The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

shooter shoots at wrong basket

5th/6th grader tourney. A has ball under basket they are not trying for. A1 inbounds ball to A2 and A2 shoots at that (the wrong) basket.

Question was asked... can A now run the baseline since it was a made basket?
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 06:48pm
We don't rent pigs

yes

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
yes
That's what I thought. Coach who's team made the shot in the wrong basket said that they shouldn't be allowed to and I told him that they are because it is a made basket, clock is still running, regardless of who took the shot. This was a tough thing for the scorekeeper who was a high-schooler volunteering for that tournament. Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B.

You could probably guess this was a close game where the other team has used the baseline several times up until this point. It was also funny to see that the fans didn't understand that after a made basket someone else can run out of bounds to receive a pass and then take the throw-in. They were yelling like crazy!
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 07:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B.
Not quite right. Goal is credited to team B but not to any player. NFHS rule 5-2-3. case book play 5.2.3 is the exact play.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 07:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's what I thought. Coach who's team made the shot in the wrong basket said that they shouldn't be allowed to and I told him that they are because it is a made basket, clock is still running, regardless of who took the shot. This was a tough thing for the scorekeeper who was a high-schooler volunteering for that tournament. Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B.

You could probably guess this was a close game where the other team has used the baseline several times up until this point. It was also funny to see that the fans didn't understand that after a made basket someone else can run out of bounds to receive a pass and then take the throw-in. They were yelling like crazy!
I'm confused here. Let me spell it out for me:
1. A2 takes a backcourt inbounds pass and causes the ball to go through B's basket.
2. Officials correctly count the points to B.
3. A proceeds with an end-line throw-in following B's basket.
4. (this is where I'm confused) A's coach insisted HIS team shouldn't be allowed to use the end-line?
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I got confused myself haha. I need to slow down a bit when I type.

It was the opposing team who's coach was asking about the endline. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:15am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

The part I find funny is that you, an official that reached his varsity "manhood" a whole month ago, and have felt compelled to offer "constructive criticism" to a "new, but arrogant official" a few short days ago, had to come here to ask about this rule yourself.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's what I thought. Coach who's team made the shot in the wrong basket said that they shouldn't be allowed to and I told him that they are because it is a made basket, clock is still running, regardless of who took the shot.
It has nothing to do with whether the clock is running or not. Rule 7-5-7 states "...A throw-in from anywhere along the end line after a goal...the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made...."
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 08:07am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
5th/6th grader tourney. A has ball under basket they are not trying for. A1 inbounds ball to A2 and A2 shoots at that (the wrong) basket.

Question was asked... can A now run the baseline since it was a made basket?
1) QED!!!
2) Seems even this level of ball represents quite a challenge
3) baselineendline, for the umpteenth time
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Many Different Levels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
baseline ≠ endline, for the umpteenth time
Is the word umpteenth derived from umpire, as in baseball umpire, as in real baselines? Is that why you chose that particular word?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 08:53pm.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The part I find funny is that you, an official that reached his varsity "manhood" a whole month ago, and have felt compelled to offer "constructive criticism" to a "new, but arrogant official" a few short days ago, had to come here to ask about this rule yourself.
It's called "making sure". I knew the rule, just wanted to make sure I knew it correctly.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

What if the opposing team fouls a player shooting at the wrong basket?
Would this be a shooting foul?
Who would shoot the free throws?
I almost saw this happen in my daughters 5th grade game a few weeks ago, but the ref let them play on.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 07:09am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
What if the opposing team fouls a player shooting at the wrong basket?
Would this be a shooting foul?
Who would shoot the free throws?
I almost saw this happen in my daughters 5th grade game a few weeks ago, but the ref let them play on.
You should reconsider both your uses of the word "shooting" in this "wrong basket" context. This action does not qualify as a shot. Officials should judge any contact as if the player were making a pass and penalize accordingly.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It's called "making sure". I knew the rule, just wanted to make sure I knew it correctly.
Dude, it's time to step up your game. Anyone doing varsity games should have known this easily, without doubt.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You knew the rule? Does that include your crediting the goal in the wrong basket to A2, as you wrote above?

You need to learn all of the rule, not "some".