The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   shooter shoots at wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57359-shooter-shoots-wrong-basket.html)

representing Sat Feb 27, 2010 06:45pm

shooter shoots at wrong basket

5th/6th grader tourney. A has ball under basket they are not trying for. A1 inbounds ball to A2 and A2 shoots at that (the wrong) basket.

Question was asked... can A now run the baseline since it was a made basket?

just another ref Sat Feb 27, 2010 06:48pm

yes

representing Sat Feb 27, 2010 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 665283)
yes

That's what I thought. Coach who's team made the shot in the wrong basket said that they shouldn't be allowed to and I told him that they are because it is a made basket, clock is still running, regardless of who took the shot. This was a tough thing for the scorekeeper who was a high-schooler volunteering for that tournament. Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B.

You could probably guess this was a close game where the other team has used the baseline several times up until this point. It was also funny to see that the fans didn't understand that after a made basket someone else can run out of bounds to receive a pass and then take the throw-in. They were yelling like crazy!

Jurassic Referee Sat Feb 27, 2010 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 665284)
Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B.

Not quite right. Goal is credited to team B but not to any player. NFHS rule 5-2-3. case book play 5.2.3 is the exact play.

Adam Sat Feb 27, 2010 07:34pm

Quote:

That's what I thought. Coach who's team made the shot in the wrong basket said that they shouldn't be allowed to and I told him that they are because it is a made basket, clock is still running, regardless of who took the shot. This was a tough thing for the scorekeeper who was a high-schooler volunteering for that tournament. Told her to count the basket, and put in a note that it was A2 who made the basket for team B.

You could probably guess this was a close game where the other team has used the baseline several times up until this point. It was also funny to see that the fans didn't understand that after a made basket someone else can run out of bounds to receive a pass and then take the throw-in. They were yelling like crazy!

I'm confused here. Let me spell it out for me:
1. A2 takes a backcourt inbounds pass and causes the ball to go through B's basket.
2. Officials correctly count the points to B.
3. A proceeds with an end-line throw-in following B's basket.
4. (this is where I'm confused) A's coach insisted HIS team shouldn't be allowed to use the end-line?

representing Sat Feb 27, 2010 08:53pm

Sorry, I got confused myself haha. I need to slow down a bit when I type.

It was the opposing team who's coach was asking about the endline. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

just another ref Sun Feb 28, 2010 01:15am

Quote:

The part I find funny is that you, an official that reached his varsity "manhood" a whole month ago, and have felt compelled to offer "constructive criticism" to a "new, but arrogant official" a few short days ago, had to come here to ask about this rule yourself.

Indianaref Sun Feb 28, 2010 07:40am

Quote:

That's what I thought. Coach who's team made the shot in the wrong basket said that they shouldn't be allowed to and I told him that they are because it is a made basket, clock is still running, regardless of who took the shot.

It has nothing to do with whether the clock is running or not. Rule 7-5-7 states "...A throw-in from anywhere along the end line after a goal...the team not credited with the score shall make a throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made...."

justacoach Sun Feb 28, 2010 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 665282)
5th/6th grader tourney. A has ball under basket they are not trying for. A1 inbounds ball to A2 and A2 shoots at that (the wrong) basket.

Question was asked... can A now run the baseline since it was a made basket?

1) QED!!!
2) Seems even this level of ball represents quite a challenge:rolleyes:
3) baselineendline, for the umpteenth time

BillyMac Sun Feb 28, 2010 01:41pm

So Many Different Levels ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 665335)
baseline ≠ endline, for the umpteenth time

Is the word umpteenth derived from umpire, as in baseball umpire, as in real baselines? Is that why you chose that particular word?

representing Mon Mar 01, 2010 01:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 665320)
The part I find funny is that you, an official that reached his varsity "manhood" a whole month ago, and have felt compelled to offer "constructive criticism" to a "new, but arrogant official" a few short days ago, had to come here to ask about this rule yourself.

It's called "making sure". I knew the rule, just wanted to make sure I knew it correctly.

rbmartin Mon Mar 01, 2010 06:41am

What if the opposing team fouls a player shooting at the wrong basket?
Would this be a shooting foul?
Who would shoot the free throws?
I almost saw this happen in my daughters 5th grade game a few weeks ago, but the ref let them play on.

justacoach Mon Mar 01, 2010 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 665477)
What if the opposing team fouls a player shooting at the wrong basket?
Would this be a shooting foul?
Who would shoot the free throws?
I almost saw this happen in my daughters 5th grade game a few weeks ago, but the ref let them play on.

You should reconsider both your uses of the word "shooting" in this "wrong basket" context. This action does not qualify as a shot. Officials should judge any contact as if the player were making a pass and penalize accordingly.

Raymond Mon Mar 01, 2010 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 665475)
It's called "making sure". I knew the rule, just wanted to make sure I knew it correctly.

Dude, it's time to step up your game. Anyone doing varsity games should have known this easily, without doubt.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 01, 2010 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 665475)

You knew the rule? Does that include your crediting the goal in the wrong basket to A2, as you wrote above?

You need to learn all of the rule, not "some".