The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken (always a possibility), but I was under the impression that the player's stats were not recorded in the footnotes. It's not the same thing.
So you say that if it isn't reflected in A2's stats it isn't credited to A2? I disagree. If the footnote says A2 scored the points, A2 was credited with the points. The points are part of Team B's stats, Team A should be credited with those points (per a footnote), not A2.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
So you say that if it isn't reflected in A2's stats it isn't credited to A2? I disagree. If the footnote says A2 scored the points, A2 was credited with the points. The points are part of Team B's stats, Team A should be credited with those points (per a footnote), not A2.
Are A2's points tracked in the footnotes?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Surely not. But Team B is given points from somewhere, and the rule says they come from TEAM A, not PLAYER A2, and that is what gets recorded in the footnote.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Surely not. But Team B is given points from somewhere, and the rule says they come from TEAM A, not PLAYER A2, and that is what gets recorded in the footnote.
Boy, we sure are getting into the weeds on this one. I personally don't care if the footnote reads A2 or Team A, as long as there is a footnote to account for the points when it's time to reconcile the score.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The rule doens't say what to put in the footnote:

Quote:
If a player scores a field goal in the opponent's basket, it is not credited to a player, but is indicated in a footnote.
A literal reading of this would tell me that the footnote is the place to say "who" made the error, if the statistician feels the need to do so. If it was credited, it would go somewhere else; you know, where the rest of A2's points are credited.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Boy, we sure are getting into the weeds on this one. I personally don't care if the footnote reads A2 or Team A, as long as there is a footnote to account for the points when it's time to reconcile the score.
There ya go!
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No it does not.

There is no mention of anything like that in either the rule or the case play.

The rule say ONLY that is is "not credited to a player, but is indicated in a footnote".

Crediting something to a player is putting it on that player's line in the book....their individual point section. Putting anything in a note is not crediting it to a player, it is just a note. The "not credited to a player" is there to address the myth of crediting the goal to the closest player of team to whom the points are awarded. They don't get the points by being nearby...only the team does.

The whole point of a footnote is to describe where those two extra points for B came from (since they don't appear by a B player's name). When someone looks back at the book later, they know what happened. What exactly should that footnote say? The book makes NO mention of what to include in the note....nothing. It should basically include enough info to clearly indicate where those 2 points came from. More detail is better then less. Noting that A2 is the one who threw the ball into B's basket is perfectly acceptable.

To argue that anything put in the note is wrong is completely made up.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule doens't say what to put in the footnote:

A literal reading of this would tell me that the footnote is the place to say "who" made the error, if the statistician feels the need to do so. If it was credited, it would go somewhere else; you know, where the rest of A2's points are credited.
I can see it this way, though you do indicate by your wording here (the rest of A2's points) that a footnote mentioning A2 does credit A2 with the points, it's just not crediting them in the same place in the scorebook.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I can see it this way, though you do indicate by your wording here (the rest of A2's points) that a footnote mentioning A2 does credit A2 with the points, it's just not crediting them in the same place in the scorebook.
If anything, it's crediting A2 with making a boneheaded mistake.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

thank you to all......representing, snaqwells, hartsy, jurassic referee....for giving me one hell of a headache (caused by simmering laughter followed by a violent slam of my had against the nearest wall)!

i was curious to see how long this discussion (which is a complete waste of time) would go (boy there's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back...)

can I make a suggestion to everyone who posts on this board? stop having to always be right.

you all are saying essentially the same thing and arguing over who is right and who is wrong because you have an insatiable desire to be right and prove others wrong....

while we officials strive to "always be right", please understand that is a goal that can NEVER be accomplished....

back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Where the heck is CHSEagle when you need him ? Be glad when the census is over !
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
thank you to all......representing, snaqwells, hartsy, jurassic referee....for giving me one hell of a headache (caused by simmering laughter followed by a violent slam of my had against the nearest wall)!

i was curious to see how long this discussion (which is a complete waste of time) would go (boy there's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back...)

can I make a suggestion to everyone who posts on this board? stop having to always be right.

you all are saying essentially the same thing and arguing over who is right and who is wrong because you have an insatiable desire to be right and prove others wrong....

while we officials strive to "always be right", please understand that is a goal that can NEVER be accomplished....

back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Feel free to stop reading my posts, you wouldn't be the first. How's the air up there?
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Speak for yourself.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's The Alternative ???

Quote:
Can I make a suggestion to everyone who posts on this board? Stop having to always be right.
No problem. From now on I will only post wrong answers to questions. In my case, that won't be too difficult to do.

Shooting at the wrong basket counts double for the team that scored, but then the player that scored in the wrong basket gets a two minute penalty and his team has to play four against five, unless he's physically restrained by the third base coach, in which case it's intentional grounding. How's that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How's that?
It's warrants a yellow card. Go sit in the penalty box.

(Used with permission.)