The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

First half of a middle school boys game. Team A scores basket, B1 inbounds to B2 who immediately turns and scores on Team A's basket. I was the new lead and nearly at midcourt after the basket is made by B2. The table looks to me and I indicate the basket is good. Meanwhile, my partner is holding the ball out of bounds and hands it to A1 (wrong team) who immediately in-bounds the ball and A2 scores.

CB 5.2.3 verifies the first basket by B1 counts, but the case also states the ball is "bounced" back to a player of Team B. Does "bounced" mean we should have had a blown whistle and stopped play? We did not.

Since my partner "handed" the ball to Team A whom then preceded to immediately score, does this basket count? I was the referee and counted the basket thinking the situation was similar to giving the ball to the wrong team after an AP, and once the ball becomes live, you live with the mistake.

Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
First half of a middle school boys game. Team A scores basket, B1 inbounds to B2 who immediately turns and scores on Team A's basket. I was the new lead and nearly at midcourt after the basket is made by B2. The table looks to me and I indicate the basket is good. Meanwhile, my partner is holding the ball out of bounds and hands it to A1 (wrong team) who immediately in-bounds the ball and A2 scores.

CB 5.2.3 verifies the first basket by B1 counts, but the case also states the ball is "bounced" back to a player of Team B. Does "bounced" mean we should have had a blown whistle and stopped play? We did not.

Since my partner "handed" the ball to Team A whom then preceded to immediately score, does this basket count? I was the referee and counted the basket thinking the situation was similar to giving the ball to the wrong team after an AP, and once the ball becomes live, you live with the mistake.

I'd use 10.1.8 (?) "A specific unsporting Act" (or something like that) to resolve the issue of A inbounding.

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:29am
We don't rent pigs

In middle school ball you have leeway to fix this just about any way you choose. I would definitely count the basket shot on the wrong end. (He did this on his own.) But now your partner has added to the confusion by handing the ball to the wrong team. (Why was he touching the ball after a made basket?) I would stop play here, wave off the last basket by A, get everybody straightened out on direction, give the ball to B and proceed.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

(Why was he touching the ball after a made basket?)

After the made basket by B2, she recovered the ball (standing right underneath the basket) and bounced it to the official.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I only learned this recently, but, yes, you are supposed to blow the whistle and stop the game when a player is confused and scores in the wrong basket. This is detailed on page 23 of the Simplified and Illustrated book. The text below the pictures is "Number 4 is confused and dunks the ball in B's basket. The covering official stops play after the dunk and credits the two points to Team B. Team A will then be given the ball for a throw-in from anywhere outside the end line."
There is also a picture of a whistle sounding in the upper right hand corner of the diagram.

Now I understand this to mean that you only stop the game if the basket is scored in the wrong goal due to confusion, if the ball is accidently tipped or deflected in or the act is done on purpose, then just continue as long as the correct team is proceeding with the throw-in.

Since you and your partner failed to stop the game, and your partner administered the ball to the wrong team, I think you have to eat this one. Since the this action was not done on purpose by the other team, and it certainly was not unsporting, in fact, all they did was execute a throw-in that your partner administered to them, I do not believe that by rule you can wipe the very last basket off. You correctly stated why this is the case.

However, since you guys helped make a real mess of this play, I would say try to fudge a bit and see if you can get away with taking that last basket away. Maybe say, "Coach that last basket was our fault, the fair thing to do is to cancel it. You still get the other four points, okay?"
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Why was he touching the ball after a made basket?)

After the made basket by B2, she recovered the ball (standing right underneath the basket) and bounced it to the official.
I thought you said it was a boys game.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Awarding the wrong team a throw-in is not correctable. After all is said and done, all baskets count.

Sometimes an official's mistake creates an unfair play, this is one of them. Another would be an inadvertant whistle during a fast break.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question Wrong basket

Quote:
First half of a middle school boys game. Team A scores basket, B1 inbounds to B2 who immediately turns and scores on Team A's basket. I was the new lead and nearly at midcourt after the basket is made by B2. The table looks to me and I indicate the basket is good.

What would you have done if A1 fouled B2 when he was scored in Team A's basket? Would you have indicated the basket was good then?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

I'm still a little confused how this ball was bounced to her after a made basket. We can argue all day about whether or not to count the basket, it's futile.

Bottom line is... Nevadaref pointed out that next time you will blow the whistle and get it together before any inbounds.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: Wrong basket

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
First half of a middle school boys game. Team A scores basket, B1 inbounds to B2 who immediately turns and scores on Team A's basket. I was the new lead and nearly at midcourt after the basket is made by B2. The table looks to me and I indicate the basket is good.

What would you have done if A1 fouled B2 when he was scored in Team A's basket? Would you have indicated the basket was good then?
It's not a try, so the foul causes the ball to become dead immediately -- no basket. Award the ball to B (or B shoots FTs, if in the bonus).

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

I only learned this recently, but, yes, you are supposed to blow the whistle and stop the game when a player is confused and scores in the wrong basket. This is detailed on page 23 of the Simplified and Illustrated book. The text below the pictures is "Number 4 is confused and dunks the ball in B's basket. The covering official stops play after the dunk and credits the two points to Team B. Team A will then be given the ball for a throw-in from anywhere outside the end line."
There is also a picture of a whistle sounding in the upper right hand corner of the diagram.

Thanks for the reference (Simplified and Illustrated, 4-5-2, pg. 23). I surveyed several veteran officials and every single one said not to blow the whistle and continue playing based on this particular situation. Now I know the correct call to make. I had never had this situation happen to me and hate to think what if this had been a Varsity game? Thanks.